username4215606
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm going into Year 11 in September, and I'm so nervous, the thought of me doing GCSEs next year just terrifies me, and I'm aiming for all 8/9s (9s in the 3 sciences and maths since I want to do medicine). I'm currently thinking of studying 4-8 in the evenings and spending the rest of the evenings exercising and relaxing, starting in September. (tell me if if's too little or too much!).

What would be your tips for surviving Y11? What are the things you wish you'd known before you did the GCSEs? Help a nervous to-be-year-eleven out
(And good luck to all nervous current Year Elevens, the past year has been so stressful, and I'm soso proud!)
username3766892
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
u dont need to start in september
revise for ur first mocks if u tryna up ur predicted grades n get into a selective sixth form like a month before cuz im assuming u wont be tested on everything
theres not rly a point to revising for other mocks
then start ur gcse revision 3 months before, this'll involve learning how to revise and what works best for u, trust me i ****ed up and started too late
if u do start at say, a month or even a day before, thats loads of time
riannon2001
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Revise from September - I did and I don't regret it. I wouldn't suggest 4 hours a night to start off with (I did 4-6 with an average of around an hour of French vocab every night too) for most of the year, then piled it on as exam season got nearer (around 4 hours a night but I got up at 5 or 6am to do more). I revised on Quizlet on the way to school (key terms, equations etc) and I think that's a good use of some spare time. You don't want to risk burning out.

Ignore anyone who tells you not to revise for all mocks - this is just bad advice, no matter what grades you're going for. I'm sure since you're already so committed, I don't need to tell you why this is

Also, when you do mocks, always put more weighting on your marks than your grades. So many people I know seemed to get complacent, saying, 'Oh yeah, I got a 7 in the mock, I'm fine with that' and not trying as hard as they should have in the real things. Who knows where the grade boundaries will lie or what will come up?

You've got very ambitious predictions but with hard work it's definitely possible - just remember to make time for you and the things you love doing too. Don't be nervous now - I was terrified throughout year eleven but oddly, exam season was the calmest I was all year. I just focused on the next exam - I left worrying about how badly I'd done until afterwards if you have any questions or want advice, feel free to pm me
Amy7702
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I didn’t start revising till around December and that was only little bits in my worst subject (science) and some subjects I didn’t revise till the night before 😭 wouldn’t recommend though because although I got very good results it was so stressful 😂
Flash cards will save your life and I loved a technique called blurting for the week of or night before an exam which was just opening a textbook and summarising the whole thing onto one sheet of paper.
Past Exam papers are such a good idea in the easter holidays when you have a lot of time but don’t do these during exams as they are a waste of time when you could be reviewing info. Although, exam questions are good especially in textbooks. Practice essay responses a lot for English and other essay subjects like re. For maths, just keep practicing and ask for help from teachers.
For poetry, I made revision sheets and analysed quotes from memory.
For languages just revise vocab and grammar (tenses) and you will honestly be fine. As Riannon said use quizlet especially for languages, like her I used it on the way to school as well.
It’s a stressful time but not as bad as you anticipate, life still goes on.
Anymore questions, you can pm me I’ll be happy to help x good luck👍🏼😊
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (57)
65.52%
I don't have everything I need (30)
34.48%

Watched Threads