The Student Room Group

Can I still get into a University?

Due to circumstances with my personal life, I have had to move about which has meant that my higher level education hasn't gone exactly well. I have only managed to achieve a D for my Geography during my A Levels. I had to move again when I was taking my BTEC for Computer Science meaning I was only able to do half my course. Will I still be able to get Into a university, and what does my BTEC equal to in Tariff Points? Thanks!

A Level Geog : Grade D
L3 EXT BTEC (1 Year Completed) : D*D*
GCSE's
Eng: B
Sci: C
Maths: C
Reply 1
To be honest, your academic credentials aren't great. With these grades you wouldn't be able to get into a good university that is worth 9 grand a year. I would recommend thinking about a certain path/career you would like to take and start building experience/qualifications in that area. If you get more qualifications in your area of interest, you could maybe get an apprenticeship, which would be super beneficial for you. I appreciate that you haven't had an easy path through your starting education, but you are going to have to look at where you are right now and where you want to be in the future- and take/research the steps required to get you to your goal, in order to move forward. I hope this helps.
You could get into a university, but one with pretty low grade boundaries and general stats. Your situation will be taken into account however.
Reply 3
your btec grades are good, what subject?
Original post by PapiGeorge
Due to circumstances with my personal life, I have had to move about which has meant that my higher level education hasn't gone exactly well. I have only managed to achieve a D for my Geography during my A Levels. I had to move again when I was taking my BTEC for Computer Science meaning I was only able to do half my course. Will I still be able to get Into a university, and what does my BTEC equal to in Tariff Points? Thanks!

A Level Geog : Grade D
L3 EXT BTEC (1 Year Completed) : D*D*
GCSE's
Eng: B
Sci: C
Maths: C

And people try to tell me that BTEC's are just as hard as A-Levels...
You will need to complete your second year Btec before you can get anywhere. Grade D*D* in a fully completed btec is the equivalent of A*A* in A level. You will be accepted in many universities although most top ones will require A level Maths for Computer Science courses. I have just noticed you are taking an extended Btec which if you completed it would give ayou the equivalent of 3 A levels so resitting Geography might not be necessary. You also might find some universities will require grade B GCSE Maths although this varies widely between universities and is dependent on the course. Another option is to consider an access course or possibly a foundation year although you may require full level 3 qualifications first to emark on this.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending