The Student Room Group

LMH vs Queens

Hiiiii I’m a Math applicant (no confidence in myself, maybe low marks for MAT)

I wonder if queens will be better or LMH. Which one is easier to get in? How many applicant they take in per year (for math) ? Is it THAT inconvenient if u leave in LMH? What are the pros and cons about both college.HELP AND THANK YOU FOR ANSWERING A POOR APPLICANT HERE.
Original post by Viickyy
Hiiiii I’m a Math applicant (no confidence in myself, maybe low marks for MAT)

I wonder if queens will be better or LMH. Which one is easier to get in? How many applicant they take in per year (for math) ? Is it THAT inconvenient if u leave in LMH? What are the pros and cons about both college.HELP AND THANK YOU FOR ANSWERING A POOR APPLICANT HERE.

Hi, I’m a current student at Oxford. I’m not at LMH or Queens, but will do my best to help.

To start, try not to worry too much about which college is “easier” to get into. I believe the University used to publish data online (I’m not sure if they still do) stating the % of applicants accepted into their first choice college per college. For the majority of colleges they fluctuate year-on-year, making it hard to predict which college will have fewer applicants in a given year. Even if you did predict correctly, it wouldn’t help you. If your college is oversubscribed but they believe you should still be offered a place, they will pool you to a different college. All colleges would rather accept a strong pooled applicant than a weaker applicant who applied to them directly.

In terms of student numbers, there are 6 people doing maths in my year at my college (St Hugh’s). I’d expect a similar size at LMH and Queens.

The college decision should come down to which one you like the most! Have a read here: www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Oxford_College_Pros_and_Cons

I completely recommend you come to the September open day if you can as it is the best way to decide which college you like the most. Sometimes the decision comes down to which one “feels” better.

Here’s my opinion:

- LMH is further from the city centre than most colleges, but it is not inconvenient at all! I say this as someone who lives even further away. It is far by Oxford standards, but still only a 20 min walk from the centre; even less to the maths faculty. I completely recommend investing in a bike, it makes the distance seem like nothing!

- LMH and Queens both offer you accommodation for the whole course - this is a huge advantage of both that cannot be understated! In LMH all of the rooms are on the main college site, in Queens some are in seperate buildings. These are still only a 5 min walk away though.

- LMH is slightly larger in terms of student population than Queens. Whether this is an advantage or disadvantage depends entirely on your preference. Personally I enjoy a larger college as there are more people to meet.

- Queens is your classic traditional Oxford college, with two quads (rectangular grass lawns), sandstone buildings and a prominent position on the High Street. LMH has brick buildings and large gardens + meadows.

- Queens is in a much more central position, making shopping etc more convienent. As said before though, the distance shouldn’t put you off LMH too much.

Hope this helps. Remember that you will be doing the same problem sheets, attending the same lectures and sitting the same exams as other people, regardless of college. Good luck with your application!
Reply 2
Original post by CycloneChilli
Hi, I’m a current student at Oxford. I’m not at LMH or Queens, but will do my best to help.

To start, try not to worry too much about which college is “easier” to get into. I believe the University used to publish data online (I’m not sure if they still do) stating the % of applicants accepted into their first choice college per college. For the majority of colleges they fluctuate year-on-year, making it hard to predict which college will have fewer applicants in a given year. Even if you did predict correctly, it wouldn’t help you. If your college is oversubscribed but they believe you should still be offered a place, they will pool you to a different college. All colleges would rather accept a strong pooled applicant than a weaker applicant who applied to them directly.

In terms of student numbers, there are 6 people doing maths in my year at my college (St Hugh’s). I’d expect a similar size at LMH and Queens.

The college decision should come down to which one you like the most! Have a read here: www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Oxford_College_Pros_and_Cons

I completely recommend you come to the September open day if you can as it is the best way to decide which college you like the most. Sometimes the decision comes down to which one “feels” better.

Here’s my opinion:

- LMH is further from the city centre than most colleges, but it is not inconvenient at all! I say this as someone who lives even further away. It is far by Oxford standards, but still only a 20 min walk from the centre; even less to the maths faculty. I completely recommend investing in a bike, it makes the distance seem like nothing!

- LMH and Queens both offer you accommodation for the whole course - this is a huge advantage of both that cannot be understated! In LMH all of the rooms are on the main college site, in Queens some are in seperate buildings. These are still only a 5 min walk away though.

- LMH is slightly larger in terms of student population than Queens. Whether this is an advantage or disadvantage depends entirely on your preference. Personally I enjoy a larger college as there are more people to meet.

- Queens is your classic traditional Oxford college, with two quads (rectangular grass lawns), sandstone buildings and a prominent position on the High Street. LMH has brick buildings and large gardens + meadows.

- Queens is in a much more central position, making shopping etc more convienent. As said before though, the distance shouldn’t put you off LMH too much.

Hope this helps. Remember that you will be doing the same problem sheets, attending the same lectures and sitting the same exams as other people, regardless of college. Good luck with your application!

OHHH THANK YOU! Didn’t rly expect such an answer! You have helped a lot.
Just a few more questions regarding what u said.

1) I thought that LMH is a small college and queens is a big one. I just want to confirm if I am wrong since u said LMH has more students.

2)is it true that LMH is really pretty? Like lots of gardens and all that.

3) I checked the pros and cons and it seems like LMH has many cons....do those really matters a lot or is every college about the same

5) what about the atmosphere and the tutors especially?
Don't get too set on a particular college - even if you get an offer, it may not be from the one that you express a preference for.

Oxford is compact. Don't worry too much about location. For some years, you will probably be living in college (or even private) accommodation, not on the main site.

Original post by Viickyy
1) I thought that LMH is a small college and queens is a big one. I just want to confirm if I am wrong since u said LMH has more students.
Have a look here (search for 'Students by college' ). Queen's is down as 517 and LMH 638.

Original post by Viickyy
2)is it true that LMH is really pretty? Like lots of gardens and all that.
Yes. All the colleges are though. Some are more grand / compact than others, and they have quite a spread in founding dates, but they're all nice, IMO.

LMH is on my favourite road in Oxford, Norham Gardens. It runs along the North side of a large park. If I'm ever rich enough, I'll buy a house there.

LMH is closer to the Mathematics Institute than Queen's, but nothing is that far away.

Original post by Viickyy
3) I checked the pros and cons and it seems like LMH has many cons....do those really matters a lot or is every college about the same
What are the cons, in your opinion?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by RogerOxon
Don't get too set on a particular college - even if you get an offer, it may not be from the one that you express a preference for.

Oxford is compact. Don't worry too much about location. For some years, you will probably be living in college (or even private) accommodation, not on the main site.

What are the cons, in your opinion?

Ohh I see ... thank you lotssss~
Hmmm... like the worst learning experience survey thingy?)
Original post by Viickyy
Hmmm... like the worst learning experience survey thingy?)

That will depend on the tutors. If it's a general survey, I'd want to see something subject-specific and recent. It's only tutorials that are in college - you'll get the same lectures as all maths students.
Reply 6
That will depend on the tutors. If it's a general survey, I'd want to see something subject-specific and recent. It's only tutorials that are in college - you'll get the same lectures as all maths students.

Can tell me more about tutorials? Like are the tutors nice or idk helpful?
Original post by Viickyy
Can tell me more about tutorials? Like are the tutors nice or idk helpful?

Usually. I don't know the LMH, or Queen's, mathematics tutors though.
Reply 8
Usually. I don't know the LMH, or Queen's, mathematics tutors though.

Oh ok it’s fine :smile:)) thank you lotsss . Is there anywhere I can find info on that?
Quoting in @RichE as he may have some insight/good advice, since you're a mathmo :yes:
Reply 10
Thankssss

Quick Reply

Latest