The Student Room Group

Should I even apply to Cambridge?

I feel stupid for even suggesting it. I’m going into year 13, and in my AS results I was expecting 3 C’s. And I was expressing the unlikelihood of me getting any B’s, let alone A’s.

However, results day rolls around, and I got AAB. I am overjoyed with my results, obviously, but so are my parents. And with that comes them believing I should aim higher. (I have been told my my teachers this year, that whatever you get in AS you should get one grade higher in A-Levels.)

So, logic states that I am now predicted A*, A*, A*,A (The extra A* in Welsh Bacc, which Cambridge counts alongside 3 other A-Levels).

So, should I even bother applying? Please help me out.
Reply 1
Original post by brb revising
So, should I even bother applying? Please help me out.

Why not? If you are on target for the typical offer *and* you like the course what's to stop you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doonesbury
Why not? If you are on target for the typical offer *and* you like the course what's to stop you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, that’s a good point. It’s just that I am not in the ‘honours’ class in my college, which helps you to apply to Oxbridge early. I’m worried that when I go back to college and express my interest in Cambridge that they’ll think it’s stupid. :frown:
Reply 3
Yeah, that’s a good point. It’s just that I am not in the ‘honours’ class in my college, which helps you to apply to Oxbridge early. I’m worried that when I go back to college and express my interest in Cambridge that they’ll think it’s stupid. :frown:

By the way, you don't have to apply to your 4 other choices at the same time. You can add them whenever you like after you've completed your Oxbridge application. Indeed it can be good idea to hold back one or 2 until after you get your Cambridge decision in early January.

Which course are you considering?

But note you can't change the rest of your application, your PS and reference stay the same.
(edited 5 years ago)
I’m hoping in doing the Human, Social, and Political Sciences. I got my grades in;
Sociology A
English lit and Lang A
Politics B

Should I consider re-sitting my Politics?
Reply 5
I’m hoping in doing the Human, Social, and Political Sciences. I got my grades in;
Sociology A
English lit and Lang A
Politics B

Should I consider re-sitting my Politics?

There's no point resitting. It doesn't affect your final A-level grade.

Start having a look at the HSPSAA admissions assessment instead.
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/human-social-and-political-sciences#entry-requirements

I'm moving this thread to the Cambridge forum. There's a thread here for all applicants :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 5 years ago)
Thank you for your help!
There's no point resitting. It doesn't affect your final A-level grade.

Start having a look at the HSPSAA admissions assessment instead.
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/human-social-and-political-sciences#entry-requirements

I'm moving this thread to the Cambridge forum. There a thread here for all applicants :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for your help and advice!
Reply 8
Thank you for your help and advice!

:hat2:

Oh, and just to finesse my reply about resitting - I presume you are doing WJEC in which case your AS marks do contribute to your final A-Level (iirc?) but it's still not worth resitting. Just concentrate on doing well in your Y13 exams, and the HSPSAA.

Good luck :smile:
:hat2:

Oh, and just to finesse my reply about resitting - I presume you are doing WJEC in which case your AS marks do contribute to your final A-Level (iirc?) but it's still not worth resitting. Just concentrate on doing well in your Y13 exams, and the HSPSAA.

Good luck :smile:

You presume correctly! Yeah, AS are 40% :smile: I’m just going to judge by how off I was to be honest, with my UMS marks.
Hi I would also like to apply for HSPS. My grades are decent apart from a C in maths gcse but I have no clue on what to do for the admission test and the interview....
By the way, you don't have to apply to your 4 other choices at the same time. You can add them whenever you like after you've completed your Oxbridge application. Indeed it can be good idea to hold back one or 2 until after you get your Cambridge decision in early January.

Which course are you considering?

But note you can't change the rest of your application, your PS and reference stay the same.

Really??? Sorry to jump in but does this mean that I could actually send my 5 choices one by one from september to january?
Reply 12
Original post by richardsmith
Really??? Sorry to jump in but does this mean that I could actually send my 5 choices one by one from september to january?

Yes, very much so!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest