MidnightRanger
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hello everyone! I'm Midnight and I'm starting Y12 and my ASes (?) in History, Biology, English Language and German/Psychology (I haven't decided yet, I've got until 23rd August to decide). At GCSE I studied Englishes, Maths, Further Maths, Triple Science, History, German and Drama.

To get onto the courses I want I will need:
Spoiler:
Show

Science: 7 & 6,
Maths: 6,
English Language: 6,
German: 6
History: 6
+ one other subject with a 5 or better.

As for GCSE grades this is the layout...
Spoiler:
Show

Best case:
English Literature: 7+
English Language: 9
Maths: 8
Further Maths: B
Biology: 9
Chemistry: 9
Physics: 9
History: 8+
German: 8+
Drama: 6

Worst Case:
English Literature: 5/6
English Language: 6
Maths: 6/7
Further Maths: Fail
Biology: 7
Chemistry: 7
Physics: 7
German: 7
Drama: 4

Realistically:
English Literature: 6
English Language: 8
Maths: 7
Further Maths: C
Biology: 9?
Chemistry: 8
Physics: 8
History: 7
Drama: 5

I'll post later on results day to confirm my hopes (or my fears).

Now, as for myself I'm quite an academic person that genuinely enjoys some of the most boring aspects of school and a bit of a nerd (of which I'm proud to call myself). My aspiration for my academic career is to study Archaeology and Ancient History at a Russell Group University, Oxford is the Oxbridge uni that I have my eyes set on as who doesn't want access to the Ashmolean Museum and the Bodleian Library. Although another possiblity of study (and my back up if I don't get AAA or ABB) is Forensic Science and Criminology at the Keele University.

At the end of all this I would love to become a Forensic Archaeologist that still holds an active part in the Historical Archaeological Community as then I will be able to help the justice system and the people of today as well as satisfying my curiosity for civilisations long since past.

So, I hope that as I go through Y12 I will be able to gain the grades I require and adjust to the demands of AS Level education. Also, I hope that you yourself will enjoy, involve yourself, share your own experiences here and ask questions about certain things if you want.

Now just as a warning I did this last year but I only posted once because I forgot, however I will try and not do that this year. I promise!
Gus_4
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
GL! Forensic Archaeology sounds amazing! A Levels are a step up from GCSE but some people find them easier than GCSE'S. You're doing subjects that you enjoy and you'll know what revision techniques work for you.
MidnightRanger
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gus_4)
GL! Forensic Archaeology sounds amazing! A Levels are a step up from GCSE but some people find them easier than GCSE'S. You're doing subjects that you enjoy and you'll know what revision techniques work for you.
Thanks and good luck to you too! I fairly confident that I'll enjoy AS and A Levels also I'm definitely going to put in the work I just need to find the balance between work and not. And yeah, I'm really excited to learn more about Forensic Archaeology; it's going to be great!
SomMC1
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by MidnightRanger)
Hello everyone! I'm Midnight and I'm starting Y12 and my ASes (?) in History, Biology, English Language and German/Psychology (I haven't decided yet, I've got until 23rd August to decide). At GCSE I studied Englishes, Maths, Further Maths, Triple Science, History, German and Drama.

To get onto the courses I want I will need:
Spoiler:
Show

Science: 7 & 6,
Maths: 6,
English Language: 6,
German: 6
+ one other subject with a 5 or better.

As for GCSE grades this is the layout...
Spoiler:
Show

Best case:
English Literature: 7+
English Language: 9
Further Maths: B
Biology: 9
Chemistry: 9
History: 8+
German: 8+
Drama: 6

Worst Case:
English Literature: 5/6
English Language: 6
Maths: 6/7
Further Maths: Fail
Biology: 7
Chemistry: 7
Physics: 7
Drama: 4

Realistically:
English Literature: 6
Maths: 7
Further Maths: C
Biology: 9?
Physics: 8
History: 7
Drama: 5

I'll post later on results day to confirm my hopes (or my fears).

Now, as for myself I'm quite an academic person that genuinely enjoys some of the most boring aspects of school and a bit of a nerd (of which I'm proud to call myself). My aspiration for my academic career is to study Archaeology and Ancient History at a Russell Group University, Oxford is the Oxbridge uni that I have my eyes set on as who doesn't want access to the Ashmolean Museum and the Bodleian Library. Although another possiblity of study (and my back up if I don't get AAA or ABB) is Forensic Science and Criminology at the Keele University.

At the end of all this I would love to become a Forensic Archaeologist that still holds an active part in the Historical Archaeological Community as then I will be able to help the justice system and the people of today as well as satisfying my curiosity for civilisations long since past.

So, I hope that as I go through Y12 I will be able to gain the grades I require and adjust to the demands of AS Level education. Also, I hope that you yourself will enjoy, involve yourself, share your own experiences here and ask questions about certain things if you want.

Now just as a warning I did this last year but I only posted once because I forgot, however I will try and not do that this year. I promise!
Good luck! tag me up for this one. I myself did further maths at gcse and had to drop it in y11 bc i knew I'd fail it hahah. I rather not do something than failing it

Lets hope you dont forget to post like you did last year
MidnightRanger
Rep:
?
(Original post by SomMC1)
Good luck! tag me up for this one. I myself did further maths at gcse and had to drop it in y11 bc i knew I'd fail it hahah. I rather not do something than failing it

Lets hope you dont forget to post like you did last year
Unfortunately, my school starts GCSE Further Maths in Y11 and when I was given the option to drop it, it was so close to exams that it would've been pointless as I had done the work anyway.

And if I do forget I'm get my brother to lecture me on dinosaurs (that's a few hours at least!).
MidnightRanger
Rep:
?
23rd August Results Day has arrived!

English Literature: 7
Further Maths: B (How?)
Biology: 8
History: 8
German: 5 (End of exams should have revised more + high grade boundaries 65.8% ish for a 7)
Drama: 7 (How in the name of Mother Earth!)

Over all I'm very happy and I think that my college will still allow me to do A-Level German despite getting a 5 and not a 6 as not many people will be doing German and my A-Level teacher will be more than likely my GCSE one; he knows that I will put in the work so hopefully I'll be able to do it!
MidnightRanger
Rep:
?
So! The pre-class revision begins! Today I'm just going to brush up on my GCSE German grammar as well as look at the German Reunification Period as it's context for the film 'Goodbye, Lenin!' All in all a fairly laid back day. (This stuff is apart of the Bridging Unit that my Post-16 have set up)

3, 2, 1, LEARN!
MushiRock11
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
So! The pre-class revision begins! Today I'm just going to brush up on my GCSE German grammar as well as look at the German Reunification Period as it's context for the film 'Goodbye, Lenin!' All in all a fairly laid back day. (This stuff is apart of the Bridging Unit that my Post-16 have set up)

3, 2, 1, LEARN!
Best of luck! A-Levels are a big step-up but as long as you’re focused and on top of every thing, you’ll be just fine!
So, take it easy too and make sure to enjoy your last couple of years of high school.
MidnightRanger
Rep:
?
Okay, so I was supposed to do some Biology revision today as Goodbye, Lenin won't be coming until at least Thursday. However, I instead procrastinated by buying stationary and folders. Whoops!

Oh well, tomorrow I will do something!
MidnightRanger
Rep:
?
Yes, I didn't procrastinate today! I did 3 Biology Bridging activities which included peptides, their structures and the structures of hemoglobin and antibodies as well as how they assist in its function. Hopefully, I'll be able to keep this ball rolling for German, History and English!
futuremedstudy
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
your name is so unique Midnight! I've never visited any Oxbridge unis but for some reason, Imperial is calling my name? i want to study medicine, if you couldn't tell lol. um for my a-levels i'm picking english lit, biology, chemistry and maths wooooo exciting. my sixth form haven't given us any work to do before we start, which is a lil bit annoying but oh well. it's really nice to meet you midnight and i can't wait to follow you on your gyg journey!
MidnightRanger
Rep:
?
(Original post by futuremedstudy)
your name is so unique Midnight! I've never visited any Oxbridge unis but for some reason, Imperial is calling my name? i want to study medicine, if you couldn't tell lol. um for my a-levels i'm picking english lit, biology, chemistry and maths wooooo exciting. my sixth form haven't given us any work to do before we start, which is a lil bit annoying but oh well. it's really nice to meet you midnight and i can't wait to follow you on your gyg journey!
Hey, thank you so much! And it's lovely to meet you too. I hope that your A-Levels go well and you have a fantastic time Imperial. And good luck with Medicine! It's definitely a rewarding course and career to choose, I have a great amount of respect for the medical and emergency services. If you're interesting in looking at my college's bridging units just as a warm up before we start back the link is: http://www.ashfield.notts.sch.uk/Bridging-Units

I hope this can help you!
MidnightRanger
Rep:
?
Darn! I did it again. Well, looks like I'm going to stick to this revise then take a day as a break thing. Although, I'm not terribly in the mood for doing anything large so I'm just going to look up a define a bunch of historical terms myself (AS History Bridging Unit) and watch some documentaries today. Oh, and yesterday my Goodbye, Lenin DVD came so I can make notes on that at some point, but not today.
MidnightRanger
Rep:
?
First day back at school and in Post-16! Hopefully, I'll be able to have at least one of each lesson today although I might miss a bit of Biology or it entirely due to a 'welcome back / to P-16' assembly. On the whole I'm pretty excited. Let's go!
MidnightRanger
Rep:
?
Done today:
Boring Welcome Assembly - Check
Tutor Bonding Session - Check
Missed Biology Because of Assembly - Check (I really wanted to have all my lessons today!)
History Context Lesson on America Boom, Bust and Recovery - Check
Very Small German Lesson and Trying to Remember German - Check
English Language Introduction and Remembering Terminology - Check!

All in all a fairly productive day, now I just need to digitize / type / write it all up; English is already done.
MidnightRanger
Rep:
?
Ooops!

I'm so sorry for not posting sooner but I've been too wrapped up in sixth form stuff. Anyway, so far the first few weeks have been great. I've completed about 4 essays already, 3 of which are for History, and I've gotten an A on one - I'm waiting for the others to be marked (I've only just done 2 of them this weekend). I've also done a Biology homework paper which I also got an A on. We've also been given our target grades and I've got As for all four subjects.

All in all, it's been pretty good so far. I'm getting my results back from an English Language essay this week as well as an English Language test we did, so fingers crossed. German, as I thought, is a bit more challenging as we have to do quite a bit of research for our topics and we're encouraged to speak and listen to the lesson in German to immerse ourselves in the language - it's interesting to say the least. Biology I've found can be challenging because it's so content heavy but as long as you know your stuff it's fine. English Language I've found there's somethings that are really interesting but others dull so I'll just have to see how that goes as the course progresses. History, surprisingly, has also been interesting even through for Britain we've been doing about the political landscape throughout the 20th century. Although, America in the 1920's is quite interesting to see the differences between how it's perceived to the reality.

Well, I'm going to try and update this weekly and perhaps share some photos of essays / revision stuff because I really need to make some revision resources for History especially.

Bye!
emilynxlan
Badges: 18
Report 2 years ago
and I've gotten an A on one
Ooo well done!
MidnightRanger
Rep:
?
Here's another update.

Biology - we've finished all the stuff on Biological Molecules and Cells. For the Bio Mol test I got a B and Cells a C but I got either the highest or one of the highest scores in my class for both; the test was quite difficult. For the homeworks, I've gotten another A for Cells and an A* for the second Bio Mol. Now I need to re-go over these two topics as well as learn the new stuff on gas exchange and DNA/Mitosis/Meiosis for the Progression Point (PP) (it's a mock) between the 3rd and 7th December.

History- for Britain I've been consistently getting As on my essays but spending way too long on them at home, so I'm going to not type them up for the first time on the computer and just write it out; hopefully I'll cut down time that way and I need to write in the exam regardless. We've finished the first unit about the Political Landscape, Economic state and Industrial Relations between 1918 and 1979; we have just started on the creation of the Welfare state as well as it's impact so I'll need to revise all of this for the essay question for the PP. For America I've been getting Bs in timed essays (1/2 mark off of an A on one) and we have finished the Economic Boom and Bust of 1920s, tolerance/intolerance, prohibition and women's role in America. We now moved on to dealing with the Great Depression as well as Hoover and Franklin D Roosevelt - again all the stuff I need to review for the PP, yay! For America we're doing a source question for the PP so I need to do a question this weekend to test myself - it's homework I swear.

English Language - we've looked at a range of case studies and theories to do with gender, sexuality, power, occupation, age and a few more I can't remember right now as well as a ton of word class, seriously it's almost ridiculous but I've surprisingly enjoyed it. In my latest timed essay, I got a B/C which is much better than the Ds I've been getting in this class whenever we've done an essay in the past. Hopefully, I'll be able to keep that going for the PP!

German - whilst we have been doing checks and tests for this on all four skills, mostly reading and listening, our teachers haven't given us any grades but they have said that we've been doing well so... yay! We've completed Familie im Wandel (about family life) and Feste und Tradition (Festivals and Traditions) and we've just moved on to anaylsing 'Goodbye, Lenin' by Wolfgang Becker (it's a really good film - has English subtitles) and Kunst und Architektur (Art and Architecture). I have no idea what what we're doing for the PP. Maybe writing and speaking as we've done reading and listening recently?

All in all it's been pretty good and I think I have a handle on most things. We'll have to see how the PP goes.

See ya!
MidnightRanger
Rep:
?
Okay, so at the moment this week has been a bit hectic. It's been a week of mocks basically but the school has called it 'Progression Point 1'...

Anyway, I've done so far two History essays one on Britain to do with how the 'extension of franchise' changed the political landscape between 1918-1930. I think I've done alright on that as politics was a major point of revision for me and the only thing from Britain that I completely 100% understand. For America, we did a sources essay based on the impact the Great Depression had on the lives of ordinary Americans. Now, I didn't revise the Great Depression and only looked at the Crash the day before and then again that morning but I think that I've done okay (?). Although, when I did both of the essays I was scared about not completing in the time so for Britain I wrote my intro then 2 paragraphs then the conclusion then I starred in a third paragraph. For America I misunderstood my teacher, I thought she had said 20 minutes left but in reality it was 25 minutes left (45 minute essay), so I finished 15 minutes early. Therefore, I used that to add in further information and expand on a few points that I didn't before in my rush. Let's just say that when my teachers mark my essay it's going to look like a bit a mess.

Biology was on Biological Molecules 1 and 2 as well as Cells and Transport. I think I did well because the majority of the paper was on enzymes and I know a lot of it from GCSEs. Not really much to say there.

English Language was on Paper 1 so looking at AO1 and AO2, I believe, which is terminology of word class and references to case studies and theories. I think I did better on this than my previous tests because it was an essay on Paper 1; I'm much better at fact recall, making links and analysing that, as you can see from Biology and History. It's the skills side of Paper 2 and the fact that the texts can be on literally anything that you then need to analyse for context.

On Monday we will be doing the German essay on Goodbye, Lenin! so I'll update about how that went afterwards. This is probably the test I'm most worried about because we haven't really looked at how we're doing in German grade wise and in GCSEs German was the subject I got the lowest grade on. So I'm in a bit panic mode because I really love German and I want to continue. It's quite funny actually because it wasn't until it looked like I couldn't do German that I knew I loved it and wanted to continue.

Anyway, I'll update later with German and maybe with how I'm revising for it. Oh! just remembered. I'll also update with the Scholar's Program as I'm just moving on to my final assessment, although I don't think I've said anything about it so far. That'll be fun. And I'll also update once I get my results back. See ya!
MidnightRanger
Rep:
?
Right, Scholar's Program.

Basically, the Scholar's Programme is a thing run by the Brilliant Club (charity) and involves a PhD student tutoring a group of students (Year 12 in this case) in whatever it is that they're studying for their PhD. So, my tutor is looking at how literature can help us to understand contemporary British politics?

We have looked a two extracts from Zadie Smith's NW (Northwest London); it features 3 working class narrators and is split up into 3 parts respectively - really good, I've just finished reading it today. We've also looked at Ours Are The Streets by Sunjeev Sahota; a novel that explores the journey of an Islamic suicide bomber from Sheffield. We've also been given access to other things like 'I Daniel Blake' film and another text I can't remember the name of right now. We've also looked at a range of different themes within these: meritocracy, neoliberalism, interectionality, geography, social mobility, class, spatial mobility etc.

Each week we have been given a question to write a 500 word essay based on what we had been doing in the tutorial (these were weekly). Now, we are on to the final assessment which is a 2,000 word essay (though mine'll probably by 2,500) on how literature can help us to understand contemporary British politics, in relation to one of the texts we've looked at.

I'm looking at NW (which most of the people in my class are doing but shhh) and how Smith represents different social classes through her characters and how their interactions reflect British society. Additionally, how these change / have come to be in light of events such as the 2008 financial crash and how they could potentially forewarn the result of the Brexit referendum.

So far I've managed to complete my introduction (+ improved based on feedback) and my first section of 3 characters on Michel, Leah's French immigrant working class husband. I still have both Leah and Natalie to do as well as my conclusion which all need to be don before the 2nd January (drafts at least) so I can improve them before the 9th January which is the deadline date.

All in all, so far I've had a lot of nerdy fun, despite not being an English lit student because we practice academic writing (+ Harvard referencing - very long winded) and we talk a lot about society and culture; very anthropology and something I'm very much interested in (want to study Archaeology and Anthropology at uni).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (170)
44.04%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (43)
11.14%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (32)
8.29%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (83)
21.5%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (36)
9.33%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (22)
5.7%

Watched Threads