The Student Room Group

Should you forgive a cheater?

Should you move on from a cheater?
I recently found out my boyfriend cheated on me for two month with a long distance relationship. He had sex with her the once. But they spoke everyday! And we’re getting to the point of telling each other they love one another.
I know there is no certain type of a cheater, but I never had him down as a cheater. He’s such a quiet kind person.
I feel like there is too much history to walk away without even trying to fix our relationship. We would always talk about our forever. I feel like if we overcome this it could make us stronger. Would counselling help?
Reply 1
Once a cheat always a cheat. Unfortunately its in his nature. Walk away, he's not worth your time. Just be glad you could get out now and not in 20 years time stuck with 2 kids
He was cheating on you for two months! I wouldn't forgive my bf even if he kissed another girl. Your bf has betrayed you, and he clearly doesn't love you (sorry to say), so put him in the bin. If you forgive him, he will do it again. I'm sure you're young - and as the person above me has said - better to get out of it now while you're young, rather than later.
Reply 3
A few years ago I went travelling for 4 months and while I was away my boyfriend of 2 years cheated on me. I was furious and said I would never forgive him. We broke up and over the year after that I kept thinking I should’ve given him a second chance because i missed him and he must’ve been lonely/bored while I was gone. However, I found out a few weeks ago that he’s had another girlfriend since me and has cheated on her too. I’m so glad I didn’t give him a second chance now so IMO i would leave it. Once a cheater, always a cheater..
Reply 4
Original post by Judysplit
I feel like there is too much history to walk away without even trying to fix our relationship.

This is known as the sunk cost fallacy. Cheating is one of the biggest deal breakers for a lot of people and should never be forgiven. You won't trust him anymore and there will be resentment that will make the relationship worse. Things will not get better.

You CAN walk away and you definitely should.
Original post by Judysplit
Should you move on from a cheater?
I recently found out my boyfriend cheated on me for two month with a long distance relationship. He had sex with her the once. But they spoke everyday! And we’re getting to the point of telling each other they love one another.
I know there is no certain type of a cheater, but I never had him down as a cheater. He’s such a quiet kind person.
I feel like there is too much history to walk away without even trying to fix our relationship. We would always talk about our forever. I feel like if we overcome this it could make us stronger. Would counselling help?

Forgive him, but move on. I know this is very upsetting but you have to realise that he's made a very human mistake. Don't hold a grudge against him as that won't do you any good either. I certainly wouldn't try to get back with him if I were you - he's cheated on you once, there's nothing to say he won't cheat on you for a second time if you were together again.

Find someone who is a little more worthy of your affection. :h:
two months? talking everyday? babes thats not cheating, that's a full blown relationship lol. you're officially the side dish, you should end it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending