The Student Room Group

Gap Year or University

So, my A levels are much better than I originally thought and I ended up getting ABB with a C in EPQ. I'm still holding onto an unconditional from Sheffield Hallam as at the time of firming them, I felt that this was the correct choice to make in respect to personal issues and also academic performance. When I received my results and they were much better I decided to attempt to apply to the Uni of Sheffield however on the first day of clearing they raised their requirements from ABB to AAA. So now im really not sure what to do as Sheffield is definitely a city Id like to study plus the other universities I'd consider aren't in clearing for my course anymore. In respects to my grade I feel that I should push myself and apply for the Uni of Sheffield next year although I was looking very forward to going to uni this year. I am just a bit confused as to whether I should take a gap year and really consider what I actually want to study and then reapply next year or if I should just go now to Sheffield Hallam. My only concerns for the gap year is having to then start uni again with people in the year below it sounds stupid however yeah and also if it really matters what University I go to as I mean I could just go to Sheffield Hallam but I'm really not sure so any advice will be appreciated thank you.
P.S the course is Business Management
Original post by Forza4720
So, my A levels are much better than I originally thought and I ended up getting ABB with a C in EPQ. I'm still holding onto an unconditional from Sheffield Hallam as at the time of firming them, I felt that this was the correct choice to make in respect to personal issues and also academic performance. When I received my results and they were much better I decided to attempt to apply to the Uni of Sheffield however on the first day of clearing they raised their requirements from ABB to AAA. So now im really not sure what to do as Sheffield is definitely a city Id like to study plus the other universities I'd consider aren't in clearing for my course anymore. In respects to my grade I feel that I should push myself and apply for the Uni of Sheffield next year although I was looking very forward to going to uni this year. I am just a bit confused as to whether I should take a gap year and really consider what I actually want to study and then reapply next year or if I should just go now to Sheffield Hallam. My only concerns for the gap year is having to then start uni again with people in the year below it sounds stupid however yeah and also if it really matters what University I go to as I mean I could just go to Sheffield Hallam but I'm really not sure so any advice will be appreciated thank you.
P.S the course is Business Management

speak to sheffield and find out how they would treat an application from you for next year, if they've increased it to AAA then it could be a no. A year before starting university isnt a long time in the long run.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
speak to sheffield and find out how they would treat an application from you for next year, if they've increased it to AAA then it could be a no. A year before starting university isnt a long time in the long run.

Well I've had a look at their 2019 prospectus and the grade requirements are back to ABB. They also indicated that their clearing requirements supersede their entry requirements.
Original post by Forza4720
Well I've had a look at their 2019 prospectus and the grade requirements are back to ABB. They also indicated that their clearing requirements supersede their entry requirements.

it could be worth and application then, if hallam accepted you this year it's likely they would again next year.
A year is nothing, several people will have done retakes or just had a year out
If it was me, I'd try to work rather than "find myself" on a gap year
You will be more mature if you work and interact with others and a student lives on pretty much the breadline
If you can manage to build up a small cushion financially it will help
If you work for a big retailer then you may be able to continue in another town if you go to uni

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending