The Student Room Group

HELP!!! Struggling to decide on UNIVERSITY COURSES!!!!

Right now I’m struggling to decide between what course I choose for university. I currently study maths, chemistry and electronics a levels. I’m really torn between choosing something to do with geology/earth sciences or electronic engineering. I truly love learning about earth sciences behind it however I also do enjoy technology but possibly would lean towards the earth science side. The main problem I have whenever considering these two options is, will the degree even be useful in the future? Because a degree in say geology may not have the best career prospects and might have not the best pay where as something like an electronic engineering degree would be more useful long term wise as there is very good careers for it and hence would be better than a geology degree. It’s like I either really enjoy myself for 3 or 4 years and study the subject that I love but it might make me struggle in the future for jobs, however I don’t know if that’s true or not, or have a electronic engineering degree and study something which I do enjoy but not a much as earth sciences but will be more useful job wise in the future and help me. I really do need help with with because I have to decide soon which is making me crazy. PLEASE help, I will truly appreciate it!

All advice and comments are appreciated :smile:
Original post by Priyanboss517
Right now I’m struggling to decide between what course I choose for university. I currently study maths, chemistry and electronics a levels. I’m really torn between choosing something to do with geology/earth sciences or electronic engineering. I truly love learning about earth sciences behind it however I also do enjoy technology but possibly would lean towards the earth science side. The main problem I have whenever considering these two options is, will the degree even be useful in the future? Because a degree in say geology may not have the best career prospects and might have not the best pay where as something like an electronic engineering degree would be more useful long term wise as there is very good careers for it and hence would be better than a geology degree. It’s like I either really enjoy myself for 3 or 4 years and study the subject that I love but it might make me struggle in the future for jobs, however I don’t know if that’s true or not, or have a electronic engineering degree and study something which I do enjoy but not a much as earth sciences but will be more useful job wise in the future and help me. I really do need help with with because I have to decide soon which is making me crazy. PLEASE help, I will truly appreciate it!

you could consider a compromise and look into natural science degrees? they'd let you study earth sciences with technology/math related subjects together.
Reply 2
(Original post by claireestelle)you could consider a compromise and look into natural science degrees? they'd let you study earth sciences with technology/math related subjects together.

Is is that even possible?
(Original post by claireestelle)you could consider a compromise and look into natural science degrees? they'd let you study earth sciences with technology/math related subjects together.

Is is that even possible?

Absolutely, have a look at the Natural Sciences course at Durham, it allows you to do this; combine earth sciences with physics/maths etc.
Reply 4
Original post by ChemistryGuy1998
Absolutely, have a look at the Natural Sciences course at Durham, it allows you to do this; combine earth sciences with physics/maths etc.

Oh, wow. I will definitely have a look! Thank you.

Career prospects for geology are absolutely fine if you're graduating with a reasonable degree from a reasonable university. Just because Oil & Gas aren't recruiting that much at the moment doesn't mean that the career prospects for geology are poor, there are plenty of other career paths you can take. If Earth Sciences is the subject you'd like to study the most, then I'd go with it. Anyway, you'll have plenty of opportunity to work with technology as an Earth Scientist.

Users above have mentioned natural sciences courses. Whilst it is true that there are some natural sciences courses in the UK that will allow you to study Earth Sciences or Geology (e.g. Cambridge and Durham), you will not be able to combine it with engineering. The closest you will get is physics, which takes a very different approach to electronics than you would take in an electronic engineering course. If your intention is to study electronics for actual engineering applications rather than from a natural sciences perspective, I'm not sure this is what you're looking for. Natural sciences and engineering, whilst related, see the world from very different perspectives and as such, you're not going to find a degree course that adequately combines both.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending