The Student Room Group

Go to Queen Mary or resit for a better uni?

So I applied to UCL and Queen Mary and got AAC in my A levels and got accepted by Queen Mary only. I know that I can definitely get an A* in the subject that I got a C on. My plan was to resit the year and get into full time work and then get into a better uni such as LSE. But would it be worth it? When work places check which uni you're from, would it make that much of a difference (in terms of gaining an advantage) having LSE or any other top university in place of Queen Mary? Or should I remain in Queen Mary, aim for a first and try and get into a better uni for Masters?

Thanks!!
In the same situation as you, got AAC at A-level and not sure if I should take a new a level and reapply to a better uni next year.

Any Ideas ??
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Cheesecake17
So I applied to UCL and Queen Mary and got AAC in my A levels and got accepted by Queen Mary only. I know that I can definitely get an A* in the subject that I got a C on. My plan was to resit the year and get into full time work and then get into a better uni such as LSE. But would it be worth it? When work places check which uni you're from, would it make that much of a difference (in terms of gaining an advantage) having LSE or any other top university in place of Queen Mary? Or should I remain in Queen Mary, aim for a first and try and get into a better uni for Masters?

Thanks!!

Hi there,

Really good question actually this is something a lot of students think about when it comes to future employment.

In a nutshell, whether you get a fist at LSE or a first at Queen Mary they are both worth the same thing.

Employers don't look just at your education they look at the full picture when it comes to applicants. They will look at your work experience and your skills as well as your ambition and career aspirations.

If going to a university such as LSE is of high importance to you, you could do your undergraduate at Queen Mary and the do your masters at LSE or UCL this is definitely an option.

I would advise weighing up the pro's and con's of your situation. If you re-sit the year it will add an extra year onto your studies but could ultimately get you into the university you wish to attend. You may not receive funding to do another year of A-levels so you will need to check this with your sixth from and you may need to sit as a private candidate.

Generally speaking the university you attend doesn't give you an employment advantage - how well you do, experience and your skills do.

I hope this helps - Sophie.
Thanks a lot for your response Sophie!! I've decided that I'll go through with Queen Mary and still redo the subject that I got a C on and if I get an A* I'll try and transfer to another top uni. If that doesn't work out I'll just continue at Queen Mary :smile:

But if a first at LSE and Queen Mary are worth the same thing what's the the point in going to the better uni? What advantage does someone who went to LSE or UCLhave over someone who went to Queen Mary?
Original post by Cheesecake17
Thanks a lot for your response Sophie!! I've decided that I'll go through with Queen Mary and still redo the subject that I got a C on and if I get an A* I'll try and transfer to another top uni. If that doesn't work out I'll just continue at Queen Mary :smile:

But if a first at LSE and Queen Mary are worth the same thing what's the the point in going to the better uni? What advantage does someone who went to LSE or UCLhave over someone who went to Queen Mary?

You're very welcome!

You raise a really good point regarding going to higher level universities. It's one of the main factors students think about when choosing which university to go to.

Going to high performing uni can help with things such as - higher student satisfaction and top quality resources and teaching and can give you a personal sense of satisfaction.

Whether or not the uni you go to gives you an employment advantage is not something that I see working in this area. To give you an example of what I mean:

You may have two students apply for the same job. One has a first from a redbrick university the other may have a 2:1 from non redbrick university. If the student who achieved the first doesn't show the skills and experience the employer is looking for but the applicant who achieved the 2:1 does and performs better in the interview, who do you think the employer is more likely to hire?

Thanks - Sophie.
Thank you for all the lengthy and helpful responses Sophie!!! :smile:

I'll aim for a first at uni as well as try to make myself as employable as possible by working and joining programs to develop my skills and for experience!

Thanks again!! :biggrin:

Quick Reply