The Student Room Group

Till etiquette

Hi are you supposed to say please when giving the total amount of the shop to a customer?
Original post by Anonymous
Hi are you supposed to say please when giving the total amount of the shop to a customer?

Why wouldn't you? You are asking the customer for something in a customer service setting.
Original post by Anonymous

No, you demand they pay up and you give them very little time to do so
Reply 3
Ok thank you it’s just that one of my team leaders said that I didn’t need to say that and that it takes up more time when busy
It's going to take one second more to say "please".....it's just being polite
Reply 5
Original post by bones-mccoy
It's going to take one second more to say "please".....it's just being polite

I timed myself doing it 10x rn and on average it took me 0.3 seconds to say please
Reply 6
I just say 'And your total comes to _____' and then they get out their own form of payment, so there's no place to say please and it doesn't sound like an order. I make sure to say thank you at the end though.
When I worked at Morrison's on the till, after scanning the customers shopping, I would say something along the lines of "That will be £34.67 please.... Paying by card? Ok" *turn on card reader* Then we're done :P

It's a single word, it's hardly going to hold up the queue and it's good customer service! Maybe I'm biased but Morrison's seems to have the best customer service on the tills compared to other shops... Asda in Wolverhampton is particularly terrible with staff on tills. They won't say a single word to you.
(edited 5 years ago)
Acht the wee card reader thing says Please & Thank You, that's good enough for me. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending