The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Physics at Durham after resitting

I was just wondering what Durham’s attitudes were to people resitting during a gap year.

I’m likely to take a gap year after disappointing a-level results and missing my Durham offer. I got three Bs when my offer was three As because I went the Sutton Trust Summer School. Maths and English Lit are likely to become an A after rmarkibg since they were so close to the A boundary but I’m considering retaking Physics to get a secure A, or more optimistically, an A*. I would also consider retaking a maths module to get an A* too.

Would Durham look down on this or have other gotten in after resitting too?

I went to the summer school, come from a lower participation area and my high school is below average for GCSE results, so how likely would it be for me to get a lowered offer too?

Any replies would be much appreciated! :smile:
Original post by tea.michelle
Maths and English Lit are likely to become an A after rmarkibg since they were so close to the A boundary

You seem to be assuming that your Maths mark will go up after a remark. There is no reason that that will happen unless the original examiner made a mistake in their marking. From papers that I have remarked, the marks have tended to go down rather than up as examiners working at speed/late at night tend to miss errors and give too high a mark.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by tiny hobbit
You seem to be assuming that your Maths mark will go up after a remark. There is no reason that that will happen unless the original examiner made a mistake in their marking. From papers that I have remarked, the marks have tended to go down rather than up as examiners working at speed/late at night tend to miss errors and give too high a mark.

Hi, thanks for your reply. I did eventually get my remarks back and my English did go up to an A but I’ve yet to hear about Maths because they had submitted the wrong paper initially. C4 came back with an extra mark but that was just 1 ums more and I need two. It was C3 that I wanted to send off so I’m in still in the dark about it. Even if I didn’t get the A in the end, I’m certain I’d want to retake C3 because I know that I can get the 93 ums I need to get the A*.

Quick Reply

Latest