Part time tuition loan - can I use it for FT study at the OU?

Watch
SophieWF
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hello. This is my first post. I am a 43 year old looking to study IT and Computing at The Open University. I match all the criteria for a part time tuition loan. What confuses me is this: on their website it says ‘even if you decide to study at full time equivalent intensity; you will still apply for a part time tuition fee loan.’ Does this mean The Open University is an exception and I can study full time with them, using the part time tuition loan? I’d love to do the course in 3 rather than 6 years. I cannot call them as they are closed today. Many thanks.
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by SophieWF)
Hello. This is my first post. I am a 43 year old looking to study IT and Computing at The Open University. I match all the criteria for a part time tuition loan. What confuses me is this: on their website it says ‘even if you decide to study at full time equivalent intensity; you will still apply for a part time tuition fee loan.’ Does this mean The Open University is an exception and I can study full time with them, using the part time tuition loan? I’d love to do the course in 3 rather than 6 years. I cannot call them as they are closed today. Many thanks.
Is your funding body Student Finance England?
SophieWF
Rep:
?
(Original post by Blue_Cow)
Is your funding body Student Finance England?
Hi Blue Cow. Yes, it is Student Finance England
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi Blue Cow. Yes, it is Student Finance England
I'll move this over to the Ask Student Finance England subforum
Miss_mischy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
As far as I know, yes, you can study full-time with the OU but receive the part-time tuition fee loan. However, this does not apply to the maintenance loan which is unable for OU students. Simply put: You can study your degree in 3 years and get the part-time tuition loan. No matter the intensity of study at the OU, Student finance calls degrees at OU part-time.
SophieWF
Rep:
?
(Original post by Blue_Cow)
I'll move this over to the Ask Student Finance England subforum
Thank you!
SophieWF
Rep:
?
(Original post by Miss_mischy)
As far as I know, yes, you can study full-time with the OU but receive the part-time tuition fee loan. However, this does not apply to the maintenance loan which is unable for OU students. Simply put: You can study your degree in 3 years and get the part-time tuition loan. No matter the intensity of study at the OU, Student finance calls degrees at OU part-time.
That’s really good to hear! I’m pretty nervous about the whole thing as I’ve been a full time career for many years and now it’s my time to start over. Many thanks!
NewGirlInTown78
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I have the exact same question as I want to transfer from evening uni to OU to study IT and Computing (Networking), although I am wondering is the mantainance loan available for OU students part-time at all ??
Last edited by NewGirlInTown78; 1 year ago
SFE Chanel
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by NewGirlInTown78)
I have the exact same question as I want to transfer from evening uni to OU to study IT and Computing (Networking), although I am wondering is the mantainance loan available for OU students part-time at all ??
Hi,

OU students can only receive the Part Time Maintenance Loan where they have a disability that prevents them from attending a university in person.

Thanks, Chanel
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (175)
14.58%
I'm not sure (56)
4.67%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (350)
29.17%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.92%
I'm not a current university student (584)
48.67%

Watched Threads