The Student Room Group

Laptop for Architecture

Hi all :smile:

Starting in September, I will be studying Architecture at the University of Kent, which I'm very excited about, and I've recently received the list of materials and such that I will need for my studies, amongst which is a laptop.

I have attached the minimum requirements specified in the e-mail, and was hoping for some advice regarding finding a suitable machine, or if anyone could recommend one that they use, as I am honestly a bit overwhelmed by all of the requirements :colondollar:.

Many thanks in advance!

Laptop.PNG
Honestly, I'd look at the top range 15" Macbook pros, if in your budget... I use mine for mainly Adobe workloads in macOS, however, I often find myself dual booting into Windows and it performs incredibly there. Just because it is a mac it does not mean that it has to run MacOs, in fact, apple fully supports running windows on your mac, and you'll get that amazing AppleCare warranty in case anything goes wrong. You would definitely want to look at the higher end of the range though for something with a terabyte of storage or 521 GB as your course states (I'd go bigger just to be safe though, especially if running two operating systems) They come stock with 16gb of RAM so you'd have more than enough for a long days work in 3d, and you'd get the 4gb graphics card by default

Overall they are a solid choice and run windows with ease!! They will meet your specs for your course and the amount of support and accessories are through the roof. not to mention you'd have 4 thunderbolt 3 ports which are truly the future of the computer port.

For a mouse I'd also recommend the Logitech MX master as it is ****ing amazing for working on design or architecture or video (and doesn't need a cable or dongle like most other mice)

Quick Reply

Latest