The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Catered, meal when having class

i am in a catered hall and the breakfast and dinner time us just horrendous. What happens if I have a class during that time? Will I be able to eat afterwards or will I effectively pay for something I won't have?
When I was catered a couple of years ago, breakfast was 8-10.30 which was plenty of time so I’m sure you’d be able to fit it in somehow! Dinner is more inconvenient (I had society commitments during it sometimes) but you can get it in a takeaway box to reheat when you need - but admittedly I did sometimes have to cook for myself on nights where I had clashing commitments which was frustrating.
University of York
York
Reply 2
Original post by BlueEyedGirl_
When I was catered a couple of years ago, breakfast was 8-10.30 which was plenty of time so I’m sure you’d be able to fit it in somehow! Dinner is more inconvenient (I had society commitments during it sometimes) but you can get it in a takeaway box to reheat when you need - but admittedly I did sometimes have to cook for myself on nights where I had clashing commitments which was frustrating.

I see, the takeaway makes me feel better though this is exactly the reason I wanted self-catered. Hope I'll get it next year, plan to apply again for accommodation then.
Original post by VerAl1504
I see, the takeaway makes me feel better though this is exactly the reason I wanted self-catered. Hope I'll get it next year, plan to apply again for accommodation then.

Yeah I can’t lie it could be quite frustrating (I also applied for self catered and didn’t get it) but it can be worked around
Original post by VerAl1504

In later years you're guaranteed the accommodation you want, provided there's spaces available. I applied to go back to halls in third year, selected my exact chosen accommodation from a list and was just granted it. So you can avoid catered completely if you don't want it again.

Contact hours start at 9am and finish at 6pm (or 6:30pm on Hes East) so you should be fine in terms of claiming each meal, but societies or other commitments obviously could clash, and on exam days you'll probably want to get your own breakfast rather than be queuing for catered just before the exam starts!

Quick Reply

Latest