The Student Room Group

A level Options

Is it better to do an EPQ or a fourth A level ? Im considering between two schools . One does 4 A levels and the other does 3 Alevels and an EPQ. Im leaning towards 4 A Levels so I can take Bio , Chem , Maths and Ecom .
what do u wanna do in the future/study at uni?
Based on your subjects, an EPQ would be a better option.

There's not much benefit in doing 4 A-levels unless two are Maths and Further Maths, although presumably you would "drop" one subject before year 13 in that format...but equally given the subjects selected, I don't think there's much benefit dropping anything except Economics (which isn't required for any degree programme) compared to the others, unless you do very poorly in one of the others (which would limit your options much more, and would be better to carefully consider now whether it's worth taking in the first place).
Reply 3
Original post by anonymous1231231
what do u wanna do in the future/study at uni?

Not sure ...but im rlly into chemistry and maths so i can either go into medicine with bio or go into finance/ something economical if i take economics. Since im unsure , i thought it would be better to have a backup course to fall on
Reply 4
Original post by Prethy_K
Is it better to do an EPQ or a fourth A level ? Im considering between two schools . One does 4 A levels and the other does 3 Alevels and an EPQ. Im leaning towards 4 A Levels so I can take Bio , Chem , Maths and Ecom .

Doing 4 tends these days not to be worth it.
Not sure ...but im rlly into chemistry and maths so i can either go into medicine with bio or go into finance/ something economical if i take economics. Since im unsure , i thought it would be better to have a backup course to fall on

honestly just do an EPQ. it gives u something to talk about in your personal statements, show ur interest in your chosen subject more and isn't a lot of work.
there's zero benefit to doing 4 subjects, unless you do maths and further maths, or english lit and english lang.
Reply 6
Original post by anonymous1231231
honestly just do an EPQ. it gives u something to talk about in your personal statements, show ur interest in your chosen subject more and isn't a lot of work.
there's zero benefit to doing 4 subjects, unless you do maths and further maths, or english lit and english lang.

ok Thanks
Reply 7
Original post by artful_lounger
Based on your subjects, an EPQ would be a better option.

There's not much benefit in doing 4 A-levels unless two are Maths and Further Maths, although presumably you would "drop" one subject before year 13 in that format...but equally given the subjects selected, I don't think there's much benefit dropping anything except Economics (which isn't required for any degree programme) compared to the others, unless you do very poorly in one of the others (which would limit your options much more, and would be better to carefully consider now whether it's worth taking in the first place).

Is economics not required if you want a career in finance or banking , because that would be my back up course if i didnt get into medicine.
Is economics not required if you want a career in finance or banking , because that would be my back up course if i didnt get into medicine.

A-level Economics isn't required for any degree course I'm aware of, and no graduate role will care what individual subjects you studied at A-level...perhaps a small handful of roles might want A-level Maths. Maybe.

The most common requirement for a degree in Economics (or often Finance, and sometimes various other business-related courses) is A-level Mathematics.

Thus, as I said, it doesn't really add anything other than being a subject of interest, presumably. But, as above, that isn't really reason enough to take 4 subjects and run the risk of spreading yourself too thin to get the necessary grades in the 3 required A-levels.

Quick Reply

Latest