The Student Room Group

student loans not understanding new course?

to cut a long story short i applied to a new university to finish my foundation degree in game design, i had originally completed a FsDC and gotten a level 5 hnd, when applied to my new university i was told id need to re do the level 5 at there course to qualify for the 3rd year of the BSc, i agreed and applied for student loans but was rejected due to already having that qualification.

so my university agreed to let me move to he BSc and star from the 2nd year so i wouldn't be doing a level 5 course id be doing the 2nd year of level 6, i just got turned down again because apparently im doing course that i have "that's equivalent to or lower than a qualification you already have." even though its not, it is a 2nd year of a course but its for a level 6 witch i dont have and which is higher.
How many years was the hnd course?
Reply 2
Original post by sophia5892
How many years was the hnd course?

2 years
Original post by hopel
2 years

Ok I’m stumped. As far as I know your entitlement should be....
Standard length of new course = 3 years
Plus gift year = 1 year
Minus previous study = -2 years
= 2 years funding available.

Which then ought to cover you for the 2nd and final year of your BSc.

But to be fair, SFE are notorious for messing things up or “misunderstanding”. So unfortunately I think a lot of it is luck of the draw as to who sees your application!

I’d suggest posting in the Student Finance forum as an SFE advisor will reply to you there :smile:
Reply 4
Ok I’m stumped. As far as I know your entitlement should be....
Standard length of new course = 3 years
Plus gift year = 1 year
Minus previous study = -2 years
= 2 years funding available.

Which then ought to cover you for the 2nd and final year of your BSc.

But to be fair, SFE are notorious for messing things up or “misunderstanding”. So unfortunately I think a lot of it is luck of the draw as to who sees your application!

I’d suggest posting in the Student Finance forum as an SFE advisor will reply to you there :smile:

thanks and yes i was told 2 years of funding left, the issue seems to be they think im trying to re do my level 5 again when im not im doing the 2nd year of a level 6 course, im really hoping they understand, i'm planning to call my uni and SFE tomorrow
Good luck! And persevere with the phone call. I had a friend who worked on the SFE phone lines and she said half the operators don’t actually have access to your account - they can only quote info from the SFE guides to you or explain how SFE works.... think it depends what options you press on the menu!
Reply 6
Good luck! And persevere with the phone call. I had a friend who worked on the SFE phone lines and she said half the operators don’t actually have access to your account - they can only quote info from the SFE guides to you or explain how SFE works.... think it depends what options you press on the menu!

thanks, im hoping my uni can contact them to clear it up, and save me having to deal with them again
Yeh it could be a case of your uni needing to update the course with them :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending