The Student Room Group

Applying to Oxford at age 14

Scroll to see replies

Original post by saboor 123
I already earn. Dont worry about finances. I am just worrying about getting in here.

So you're working illegally, great. You obviously have no respect for the law.

Honestly, there's no point talking to you-you obviously don't want to listen to the truth

You're too young for uni and if you solely focus on academics you will NEVER get a grad job. This is why you need to wait until you're older to attend uni-you're simply too immature and don't understand how LIFE works
Original post by super_kawaii
So you're working illegally, great. You obviously have no respect for the law.

Honestly, there's no point talking to you-you obviously don't want to listen to the truth

You're too young for uni and if you solely focus on academics you will NEVER get a grad job. This is why you need to wait until you're older to attend uni-you're simply too immature and don't understand how LIFE works

I dont work bro.i have a small business which isnt a business. I tutor kids and earn money after school hours. I earn more than a person who has a job. I earn 60 per hour
This is clearly a troll 😂
Even if this would be true, why would you come to TSR and ask? Don't you think your choice university would know better than some random strangers? If it's real then go and ask oxford or wherever you want to go, if not then atop wasting our time and grow up.
I dont work bro.i have a small business which isnt a business. I tutor kids and earn money after school hours. I earn more than a person who has a job. I earn 60 per hour

So you do work. Running your own business for profit is still work. That's still a lot less than a grad job sweetheart. Grad jobs START at around £20k per annum, so a lot more than your tiny £60 an hour.
Original post by VerAl1504
This is clearly a troll 😂
Even if this would be true, why would you come to TSR and ask? Don't you think your choice university would know better than some random strangers? If it's real then go and ask oxford or wherever you want to go, if not then atop wasting our time and grow up.

Again. This aint a troll sis. I swear. Like why dont you guys underatand? Man this is hard. You adults clearly dont understand the differnece between trolls and real genuine people. Looool
Reply 85
So you do work. Running your own business for profit is still work. That's still a lot less than a grad job sweetheart. Grad jobs START at around £20k per annum, so a lot more than your tiny £60 an hour.

What is £60 per hour for a, say, 3 hour day, for 250 working days a year?

I'm not saying that's what they are earning... It shows what an hourly rate is worth.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doonesbury
What is £60 per hour for a, say, 3 hour day, for 250 working days a year?

I'm not saying that's what they are earning... It shows what an hourly rate is worth.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They obviously don't need a degree then. Imagine all the graduate tax they'd have to pay on that, doubled up with minimum 3 years lost earnings.

Not the smarts of someone intelligent to attend one of the most elite universities in the entire world
Reply 87
They obviously don't need a degree then. Imagine all the graduate tax they'd have to pay on that, doubled up with minimum 3 years lost earnings.

Not the smarts of someone intelligent to attend one of the most elite universities in the entire world

You've missed the point....
Original post by Doonesbury
You've missed the point....

What do you think he has missed?
This was surprisingly entertaining to read.
Reply 90

They were deriding an hourly rate of £60 when in fact that's a very good rate and, if worked for enough hours, can generate a good wage. One can't compare an hourly rate to an annual salary... they are different things entirely. Indeed an annual salary of £20k, as per their example, is roughly equivalent to an hourly rate of about £10 assuming a standard 8 hour working day and Mon-Fri full time job.
Reply 91
Anyway this is going far off-topic so I'm leaving it at that.

You need to speak to Oxford, and possibly one or two colleges, tomorrow.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Again. This aint a troll sis. I swear. Like why dont you guys underatand? Man this is hard. You adults clearly dont understand the differnece between trolls and real genuine people. Looool

So not only have you got A*s at GCSE and already doing A2 work at the age of 14 whilst applying to Oxford at the same time but you work as well? All of that just at the age of 14? You could have at least left the working bit out. Again I think you are trolling.
I don't know about you but my parents would never allow a 14 year old kid to tutor me.
If you are desperate to make us believe you, post an image of your results slip and certificates (With your private details blurred out of course) here, and don't try to get your cousin's certificates.

*she

I'm a woman sweetheart
Reply 94

£60 an hour is massive... how can you not know that as a graduate :s-smilie:
Reply 95

Hi Saboor bhai

There are a couple of problems with your application to Oxford. You won't be able to live in the college like most undergraduates because you are too young (child safety issues from the college), so will need to somewhere else in Oxford. You will need to get a parent/carer to move with you, because you have to live within a certain distance of Oxford to graduate and you won't be able to rent alone at 14/15. Also unless everyone on your course is DBS checked, your parents will have to accompany you to lectures, again for child safety. I'm not sure about tutorials though

You’ve now confirmed you’re a troll beyond all doubt. A 14-year-old earning £60 an hour, yeah right! :rofl:
Reply 97
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
You’ve now confirmed you’re a troll beyond all doubt. A 14-year-old earning £60 an hour, yeah right! :rofl:

as a tutor they quite reasonably could, esp if they could prove they've done their GCSES/A levels early, and live in London

(not saying it's true for this person though)
Original post by marupe
£60 an hour is massive... how can you not know that as a graduate :s-smilie:

Because it's an ungodly rip off and no one would hire a 14 year old tutor.
Reply 99
Because it's an ungodly rip off and no one would hire a 14 year old tutor.

If they are doing it online no-one would know, and if it's face-to-face then the clients are probably more interested in getting good maths advice than the tutor's age.

As per my above post, Ruth Lawrence had *graduated* from Oxford at the age of 13, and was a junior fellow at Harvard at age 19.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest