The Student Room Group

Official Oxford Law 2019 Applicants

Hello,
It seems like a good time to make an official thread for those (including myself) wanting to apply for law, and in particular, law at Oxford.

Let's write a bit about ourselves using the following questions!

GCSEs - 6A*s, 5As
A Level Subjects - Sociology, Spanish, Maths with an AS in Further Maths
Predictions - A*AA (screwed up my mocks...hopefully I'll be able to bump Maths up to an A*)
LNAT - scheduled sometime in October, haven't started yet...
Extra curricular activities/things to add - read books, maths and spanish mentors, will go to open court hearings, have organised a school newspaper.

I don't have a lot of extra things, any ideas on things I can do?

Scroll to see replies

Also to those who have started LNAT prep - how are you doing it and when did you start?
Original post by anonymous1231231
Hello,
It seems like a good time to make an official thread for those (including myself) wanting to apply for law, and in particular, law at Oxford.

Let's write a bit about ourselves using the following questions!

GCSEs - 6A*s, 5As
A Level Subjects - Sociology, Spanish, Maths with an AS in Further Maths
Predictions - A*AA (screwed up my mocks...hopefully I'll be able to bump Maths up to an A*)
LNAT - scheduled sometime in October, haven't started yet...
Extra curricular activities/things to add - read books, maths and spanish mentors, will go to open court hearings, have organised a school newspaper.

I don't have a lot of extra things, any ideas on things I can do?

Moved to the Oxford forum :smile:
Original post by Interrobang
Moved to the Oxford forum :smile:

Thank you:biggrin:
Bump
Hi all

Scottish State School student -

N.B no A* are given in Scotland. A is the highest grade possible.

6 Nat 5s Grade A (most I could take at my school)
5 As and 1 B Highers
Predicted AAA Advanced Higher RE, Modern Studies, Music

President of Debating Club
Finalist and semi finalist in national debating competitions
MUN participant
Work experience at two law firms
Entered Oxford Legal Reasoning competition.
House Captain
Grade 8 piano and violin and have won music competitions
Appointed Ambassador of Holocaust Educational Trust which involves visiting Auschwitz and speaking to survivors (Human Rights issues)

LAW: Applying to: Oxford, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Aberdeen and Dundee.

LNAT booked for September. Working my way through Arbitio at the moment (which is great BTW) average score of 23. Lowest 18, highest 30. I scored 27 on official practice test.

I’d be grateful if anyone could comment whether Oxford is a realistic option, or whether I’m wasting a choice. Not many students gain offers from Scotland.

Thanks
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Yoshi123456
Hi all

5 As and 1 B Highers

House Captain
Appointed Ambassador of Holocaust Educational Trust which involves visiting Auschwitz and speaking to survivors (Human Rights issues)

LNAT booked for September. Working my way through Arbitio at the moment (which is great BTW) average score of 23. Lowest 18, highest 30. I scored 27 on official practice test.

I’d be grateful if anyone could comment whether Oxford is a realistic option, or whether I’m wasting a choice. Not many students gain offers from Scotland.

Thanks

judging by your stats and amazing list of super-curricular activities, i'd say u have a pretty good shot haha
any lnat tips?
Try the Arbitio course online for the LNAT. It’s really helped me!

Good luck with it all!

Good luck with it all!

thank u, u too!!:biggrin:
has anyone else not started lnat prep...?
Hi all

5 As and 1 B Highers

House Captain

Thanks

Everything is based on chance nowadays :redface: Just give it a shot!
has anyone else not started lnat prep...?

I haven't 100% started because my home life is hectic. I have however done 2 practice tests but I got 14 and 15 the first and second time. I have until the first week of October so I have a bit of time to try and get that score up.

Also, watch Eve Cornwell's LNAT prep video. It's reslly good.
GCSEs - 974A*BBCCDDDF (the f was in art, we don't talk about it because my school forced me on the art course 6 months before the exam and wouldn't remove me no matter how much I begged and pleaded) I also missed a exam because I had a seizure which was induced by stress and trauma so I got a D in biology.

A Level Subjects - English Literature, Government and Politics, CTEC Business Studies

Predictions - My school claim that it will be between A*AA and A*A*A*

LNAT - All the dates are going fast, i've secured the 4th of October, my practice tests have been atrocious. I got 14 the first time and 15 the second. I watched Eve Cornwell's amazing LNAT prep video and did one 4 days later and scored 20/42. I still have until October to get it above 25 so I'm hoping practice makes perfect.

Extra curricular activities/things to add - read books, done online law courses, member of a book club, member of film club, attended Envision @ UCL,Tutored year 11 students in English Lang and Lit (for free) and I'm going to look into my school's mentoring programme. I'm also starting a blog.
(edited 5 years ago)
GCSEs - 6A*, 3A, B (in maths lol)
IB subjects - HL Economics, English Lit, Italian B; SL History, Math, Environmental Science
Predictions - 41 HL 776, SL 666
LNAT - took it today, got 23 on the official practice test, 31 on an unofficial one... the actual test was much easier than the only on the LNAT website so that went well; screwed up the essay, only managed 450 words and conclusion was nonsense as I had 1 minute to write it (poor time management).
Extra curricular activities/things to add - MUN, did work experience at 2 law firms, KCL summer school for Law, president of a service club at my school, managing editor of school newspaper, sports (which they don't really care about unfortunately)

Currently having trouble deciding what to keep in my personal statement and which extra curricular reflect best why i'm a good candidate for Law! Good luck on the LNAT, keep track of the time :redface:
Original post by asm_2001
IB subjects - HL Economics, English Lit, Italian B; SL History, Math, Environmental Science
LNAT - took it today, got 23 on the official practice test, 31 on an unofficial one... the actual test was much easier than the only on the LNAT website so that went well; screwed up the essay, only managed 450 words and conclusion was nonsense as I had 1 minute to write it (poor time management).
Extra curricular activities/things to add - MUN, did work experience at 2 law firms, KCL summer school for Law, president of a service club at my school, managing editor of school newspaper, sports (which they don't really care about unfortunately)

Currently having trouble deciding what to keep in my personal statement and which extra curricular reflect best why i'm a good candidate for Law! Good luck on the LNAT, keep track of the time :redface:

wow i hope it went well! how long did u prep for
GCSEs- 11A*s and an A in Add Maths
Ib Subjects- HL History, English Latin, SL Economics, Maths, Physics
Predicted 43, HL 777
LNAT: booked for early October, scoring between 30-36 on practices
Extra Curricular: President of school debating society, Charity Committee liaison officer, did work experience for a lord justice in the appeals court and a barrister's chambers, MUN, semifinalists at an international debating competition finals day.
(edited 5 years ago)
i guess we're the only ox law applicants lol

hows everyones application going? my schools internal deadline for oxbridge is on the 7th which is a sunday...needless to say im nowhere near ready:biggrin:

i have a list of things to do, inc reading books and watching documentaries because i have no supercurriculars and im stressed:frown:

i did my first lnat paper yesterday and i got 25 which im happy with ngl, i'm aiming for 30 which is huge but i know ill probably get max 28-9 with a lot of work and ill be so happy with that.

if anyone cared, my predictions have gone up to A*A*A which does make me feel better but yeah, does anyone have a structure or layout for their ps? im struggling!

also a cheat tip: if ur behind like me and need to read books, just highlight specific chapters and talk about them instead of the entire book, if u get called for an interview read them
Original post by Zach Shapiro
GCSEs- 11A*s and an A in Add Maths
Ib Subjects- HL History, English Latin, SL Economics, Maths, Physics
Predicted 43, HL 777
LNAT: booked for early October, scoring between 30-36 on practices
Extra Curricular: President of school debating society, Charity Committee liaison officer, did work experience for a lord justice in the appeals court and a barrister's chambers, MUN, semifinalists at an international debating competition finals day.

Original post by asm_2001

Original post by K.bower
GCSEs - 974A*BBCCDDDF (the f was in art, we don't talk about it because my school forced me on the art course 6 months before the exam and wouldn't remove me no matter how much I begged and pleaded) I also missed a exam because I had a seizure which was induced by stress and trauma so I got a D in biology.

A Level Subjects - English Literature, Government and Politics, CTEC Business Studies

Predictions - My school claim that it will be between A*AA and A*A*A*

LNAT - All the dates are going fast, i've secured the 4th of October, my practice tests have been atrocious. I got 14 the first time and 15 the second. I watched Eve Cornwell's amazing LNAT prep video and did one 4 days later and scored 20/42. I still have until October to get it above 25 so I'm hoping practice makes perfect.

Extra curricular activities/things to add - read books, done online law courses, member of a book club, member of film club, attended Envision @ UCL,Tutored year 11 students in English Lang and Lit (for free) and I'm going to look into my school's mentoring programme. I'm also starting a blog.

Original post by K.bower
I haven't 100% started because my home life is hectic. I have however done 2 practice tests but I got 14 and 15 the first and second time. I have until the first week of October so I have a bit of time to try and get that score up.

Also, watch Eve Cornwell's LNAT prep video. It's reslly good.

Original post by wifd149
Everything is based on chance nowadays :redface: Just give it a shot!

Good luck with it all!

Hi all

5 As and 1 B Highers

House Captain

Thanks

^^:smile:
i guess we're the only ox law applicants lol

hows everyones application going? my schools internal deadline for oxbridge is on the 7th which is a sunday...needless to say im nowhere near ready:biggrin:

i have a list of things to do, inc reading books and watching documentaries because i have no supercurriculars and im stressed:frown:

i did my first lnat paper yesterday and i got 25 which im happy with ngl, i'm aiming for 30 which is huge but i know ill probably get max 28-9 with a lot of work and ill be so happy with that.

if anyone cared, my predictions have gone up to A*A*A which does make me feel better but yeah, does anyone have a structure or layout for their ps? im struggling!

also a cheat tip: if ur behind like me and need to read books, just highlight specific chapters and talk about them instead of the entire book, if u get called for an interview read them

I guess to make it more about yourself? I'm sure you'll do fine with your PS honestly :smile:
Original post by wifd149
I guess to make it more about yourself? I'm sure you'll do fine with your PS honestly :smile:

can u give an example of what that would mean?
thank u, im just so behind because i wasnt here when my school apparently did this oxbridge talk where they said the internal deadline is early, so im pretty stressed lol

Quick Reply

Latest