It's an academic course so you don't need work experience
Discrepancy
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by alleycat393)
It's an academic course so you don't need work experience
Okay thank you, what about English lit and law?
Infinite Series
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by TheAlchemistress)
Work experience is definitely needed for law.
Discrepancy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Grade A)
Okay thanks. 👍😊
alleycat393
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by TheAlchemistress)
Nope and nope

Law is an academic subject as well and doesn't train you to do a specific job so no you don't need work experience.
Discrepancy
Rep:
?
Law is an academic subject as well and doesn't train you to do a specific job so no you don't need work experience.
Thank you.
Infinite Series
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If OP is working towards a specific career as e.g a lawyer, then it would be good to have some work experience like working in a law firm.
Though, this isn't necessary, it would certainly enhance the OP's personal statement, and so I would certainly advise TheAlchemistress to have some work experience if you are going for law.

I've watched this Cambridge University interview video about law, where they liked the fact that the student did work experience about law and had an interesting discussion about it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npEcenV-Y08
alleycat393
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If OP is working towards a specific career as e.g a lawyer, then it would be good to have some work experience like working in a law firm.
Though, this isn't necessary, it would certainly enhance the OP's personal statement, and so I would certainly advise TheAlchemistress to have some work experience if you are going for law.

I've watched this Cambridge University interview video about law, where they liked the fact that the student did work experience about law and had an interesting discussion about it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npEcenV-Y08
Cambridge is one uni and this is one college of Cambridge and one example! I have been looking at PSs a long time including Oxbridge ones

Being able to discuss the law from an academic perspective and having work experience are two different things. If you write a statement that makes it look like you don't know that law is an academic subject and just trains you to be a lawyer you run the risk of coming across as someone who hasn't done their research. You can train to be a lawyer without a law degree and a law degree leads to a whole range of careers. You need to show that you have a realistic understanding of what a law degree is about and the bottom line is that it is an academic degree so no having work experience doesn't 'enhance' your application, sorry!

Ps:- in the video they talk about things in the PS which is typical. At no point has it been said that the work experience helped the application. In fact they've reiterated numerous times that no previous law knowledge or experience is required
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (35)
7.26%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (285)
59.13%
No (162)
33.61%

Watched Threads