singh29037
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hey all

I am going into Year 13 and wanted some tips on how to get an A in A level french??

Please help!!

Thanks in advance!
username2253227
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
For listening/reading/translation - if you're on a new specification, try and get hold of specimen papers, but don't stop there. Once you've used up all the current resources, use papers from other boards and old specifications because French itself doesn't change that much and you'll have a better idea of how the sometimes confusing French A-level marking system works ! Make use of all resources provided by the exam board, even if you were on lousy Eduqas like me who only provided a few exercises that didn't even cover the whole spec. If that's the case, refer to the specification closely and make sure you're doing what it wants. Above all I would say that immersion is key.

For oral - READ and make notes! Look at your specification and gather as many articles as possible on what topics you could possibly be asked about - run over grammar and make sure you're throwing lots of subjunctive in there for an A. A useful thing I did was to record myself answering specimen questions and going over them with a fine-toothed comb afterwards. For your IRP, make sure you pick a subject that interests you so you won't get bored easily, because being enthusiastic about your topic goes a long way because you'd know about it regardless.

For essays - revision guides are useful, but my best asset was my teacher. Pick some sample essay questions and write some up in timed conditions, then give extra essays in regularly for marking and criticism. V useful technique for English A-level too!

Just about to start studying French at Oxford so pm me if you have any more questions xx
singh29037
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by moggygeorgieee)
For listening/reading/translation - if you're on a new specification, try and get hold of specimen papers, but don't stop there. Once you've used up all the current resources, use papers from other boards and old specifications because French itself doesn't change that much and you'll have a better idea of how the sometimes confusing French A-level marking system works ! Make use of all resources provided by the exam board, even if you were on lousy Eduqas like me who only provided a few exercises that didn't even cover the whole spec. If that's the case, refer to the specification closely and make sure you're doing what it wants. Above all I would say that immersion is key.

For oral - READ and make notes! Look at your specification and gather as many articles as possible on what topics you could possibly be asked about - run over grammar and make sure you're throwing lots of subjunctive in there for an A. A useful thing I did was to record myself answering specimen questions and going over them with a fine-toothed comb afterwards. For your IRP, make sure you pick a subject that interests you so you won't get bored easily, because being enthusiastic about your topic goes a long way because you'd know about it regardless.

For essays - revision guides are useful, but my best asset was my teacher. Pick some sample essay questions and write some up in timed conditions, then give extra essays in regularly for marking and criticism. V useful technique for English A-level too!

Just about to start studying French at Oxford so pm me if you have any more questions xx
Omg CONGRATULATIONS on getting into Oxford! That's amazing and well done!!!! And thank you for your response!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (23)
8.55%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
14.13%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (46)
17.1%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (38)
14.13%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (77)
28.62%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
17.47%

Watched Threads