I'm thinking of wearing the same thing everyday for college Watch

SeanLaurentParis
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm going into a new college studying a different course.
I'm starting from 2nd year so I'll need to hit the ground running.

I want to focus on my degree and not distract myself with shopping or just looking at stuff I'll never buy.

So I've been thinking that I'll buy duplicates of the one outfit and wear that, like what Barack Obama, Steve Jobs and Mark Zuckerberg do.
It's to combat decision fatigue..

I'm thinking a dark grey hoodie, light grey t-shirt, dark wash jeans and a pair of trainers (maybe Lanvins)..
I'd ideally go with Loro Piana cashmere hoodies but I can't afford a pair of their socks so that's a no go..

What would you think of a guy wearing this?
I know clothes should fit and I'll be getting things tailored to fit.

I'm just interested what you'd think of if you'd even notice.
IxJ
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
People would notice, but I don't think they would overall care.

However, you do have to consider that the weather changes quite drastically over the seasons and so you will be having decision fatigue based on clothes anyway (are these shoes not just waterproof but also snow proof? Shall I take an umbrella, a waterproof or both? Will I be too hot/cold in these trousers? Especially if I have to go into town afterwards)

Even though you're a guy I'd recommend you research year-round 'capsule wardrobes', it's mostly women who do it, but cutting down the clothing you own to a minimal few pieces that all work with each other can combat decision fatigue while allowing more flexibility about weather, activities, and will reinforce a fresh, clean-cut image in the minds of the people around you more than a single outfit (because no one will notice if you wear 6 different outfits made from the same 5 items of clothing, but what they will notice is that you look consistently dressed in a way that looks thoughtfully put together).
squeakysquirrel
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by SeanLaurentParis)
I'm going into a new college studying a different course.
I'm starting from 2nd year so I'll need to hit the ground running.

I want to focus on my degree and not distract myself with shopping or just looking at stuff I'll never buy.

So I've been thinking that I'll buy duplicates of the one outfit and wear that, like what Barack Obama, Steve Jobs and Mark Zuckerberg do.
It's to combat decision fatigue..

I'm thinking a dark grey hoodie, light grey t-shirt, dark wash jeans and a pair of trainers (maybe Lanvins)..
I'd ideally go with Loro Piana cashmere hoodies but I can't afford a pair of their socks so that's a no go..

What would you think of a guy wearing this?
I know clothes should fit and I'll be getting things tailored to fit.

I'm just interested what you'd think of if you'd even notice.
I am female and a little bit older. ~If I could, I would wear exactly the same thing everyday.

People notice your tops - not your bottoms. SO I have two pair of jeans that I alternate and about three or four tops. I buy everything in the charity shops though - so I never see anyone wearing the same!
squeakysquirrel
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by IxJ)
People would notice, but I don't think they would overall care.

However, you do have to consider that the weather changes quite drastically over the seasons and so you will be having decision fatigue based on clothes anyway (are these shoes not just waterproof but also snow proof? Shall I take an umbrella, a waterproof or both? Will I be too hot/cold in these trousers? Especially if I have to go into town afterwards)

Even though you're a guy I'd recommend you research year-round 'capsule wardrobes', it's mostly women who do it, but cutting down the clothing you own to a minimal few pieces that all work with each other can combat decision fatigue while allowing more flexibility about weather, activities, and will reinforce a fresh, clean-cut image in the minds of the people around you more than a single outfit (because no one will notice if you wear 6 different outfits made from the same 5 items of clothing, but what they will notice is that you look consistently dressed in a way that looks thoughtfully put together).
"capsule wardrobe" !
girl_in_black
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by squeakysquirrel)
I am female and a little bit older. ~If I could, I would wear exactly the same thing everyday.

People notice your tops - not your bottoms. SO I have two pair of jeans that I alternate and about three or four tops. I buy everything in the charity shops though - so I never see anyone wearing the same!
Yep, I agree with this - have at least a couple of different sets of clothes. Even if it's just the same things but in different colours.

People do notice. There was someone at my uni who wore the exact same outfit every day throughout first year and it was commented on A LOT.
Zasty
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You're going to get real annoyed real quick.
good goddamn luck
username4217472
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The jeans could work OK as I suppose, but the tops you will grow tired with quickly. What happens if you get asked to a school function as well and all you have is that outfit?
sinfonietta
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It will very likely be noticed. Some people may even make remarks about your hygiene and finances behind your back, not realising you own duplicates of the items or that it is a conscious decision.

There was a guy I went to college with for two years who people started gossiping about because he only wore a few different clothing items all in a specific shade of blue. We later found out it was related to his colourblindness.
DoritoEvie
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I once had a hoodie that I wore regularly, sometimes for days on end in the winter. It was warm, big, and it did it's job. I stopped wearing it immediately after I heard people laughing behind my back saying "she's wearing it again".
People do notice and they can be really nasty about it :-(
SeanLaurentParis
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Winnie-The-Pooh)
The jeans could work OK as I suppose, but the tops you will grow tired with quickly. What happens if you get asked to a school function as well and all you have is that outfit?
I'm keeping a couple of other clothes, like a suit, sweater, shirt, chelsea boots, dress shoes etc.
The outfit is just for everyday college, if I was going to a ball I'd throw on my suit not my hoodie!
username4217472
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by SeanLaurentParis)
I'm keeping a couple of other clothes, like a suit, sweater, shirt, chelsea boots, dress shoes etc.
The outfit is just for everyday college, if I was going to a ball I'd throw on my suit not my hoodie!
I mean if you honestly feel you could stand doing this everyday then by all means go for it.
blue338
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you can do it but honestly outfit planning is not that difficult wear the same outfit on specific day of the week perhaps, like some "on wednesdays we wear pink" kinda ####
Jono*
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think it's a bad idea, just because it's a little weird and people with think its weird. I don't ever spend more than 20 seconds deciding on what to wear it's really not that hard.
CollegeStudent99
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I too have thought about doing this. I’m a student who loves clothes shopping and owns about 15 hoodies, 4 pairs of jeans, about a dozen trackie bottoms and a dozen shorts. Despite having loads of choice, deciding what to wear can be a challenge. I often find myself debating and looking at myself in the mirror and deciding what matches, what doesn’t etc and then eventually just throw on the same old outfit/combination anyway.

So I’ve thought before about doing a Homer Simpson or a Mark Zuckerburg and having a Minimalist wardrobe would save time in the morning and ease stress.

There is the weather/temperature to consider, but if you travel to college on public transport and don’t spend much time walking outdoors and the college has adequate heating/air conditioning then it shouldn’t be too much a problem, a lot of students don’t seem to feel temperature much/dress for the weather anyway so you’ll see a lot of them wearing the same outfit year round.

As for people noticing/commenting on it, there were several people in my IT class who wore nearly always wore the same outfits, there was one lad who came in in blue jeans, trainers, a blue superman t-shirt and a black zip-up hoodie with the zipper open so you could see his t-shirt and no one gave a damn, I think there was one time someone said “superman has entered the building” but it was meant as a joke/banter not in a nasty way.
Last edited by CollegeStudent99; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (127)
18.12%
It's just nice to be back! (192)
27.39%
Not great so far... (251)
35.81%
I want to drop out! (131)
18.69%

Watched Threads