The Student Room Group

Should school be Mandatory?

I thought this was a stupid question when I first heard it but then I was asked;

‘When you was in school, did any suspended children or children ‘bunking’ off turn up at the fence or even in class?’

The suggestion was reverse psychology, it’s because we force it there’s resistance but what else would kids do?

You have kids all over who could stay off and no parents, teachers or anyone would do anything but they still turn up.

And although some wouldn’t turn up given the choice, you’d only have those serious be there!

Any thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

You can't give children the responsibility. They aren't capable of understanding what not going to school would mean for their future.

Also imagine the burden on society, if there is a large group of people who cannot function in any job. They never had to be somewhere on time in the first 15 years of their lives. Let alone concentrate on something they didn't choose for.
Reply 2
**** school, wish i could have my life back
Original post by GlockInmyRari
You can't give children the responsibility. They aren't capable of understanding what not going to school would mean for their future.

Also imagine the burden on society, if there is a large group of people who cannot function in any job. They never had to be somewhere on time in the first 15 years of their lives. Let alone concentrate on something they didn't choose for.

You’re assuming they would choose not to go, why would they take this option?
Reply 4
Original post by FailedTeacher
I thought this was a stupid question when I first heard it but then I was asked;

‘When you was in school, did any suspended children or children ‘bunking’ off turn up at the fence or even in class?’

The suggestion was reverse psychology, it’s because we force it there’s resistance but what else would kids do?

You have kids all over who could stay off and no parents, teachers or anyone would do anything but they still turn up.

And although some wouldn’t turn up given the choice, you’d only have those serious be there!

Any thoughts?

Teenagers are tennagers and will be reckless. We're children and wont always know what choice to make. And no we wont know the impact of school on our future. However i believe we should be given the choice. I feel like this way, a lot of people would first not show up to school and then realise for themselves what it actually means and how it would affect them later on. and this way they'd be more dedicated and passionate about going to school? If that makes sense? Like you let them choose what they think is the "easy" way and then they find out for themselves its actually the hard way, not going school. And this would make them want to go = good students
Original post by Shxdow
Teenagers are tennagers and will be reckless. We're children and wont always know what choice to make. And no we wont know the impact of school on our future. However i believe we should be given the choice. I feel like this way, a lot of people would first not show up to school and then realise for themselves what it actually means and how it would affect them later on. and this way they'd be more dedicated and passionate about going to school? If that makes sense? Like you let them choose what they think is the "easy" way and then they find out for themselves its actually the hard way, not going school. And this would make them want to go = good students

Exactly the line of thinking I have, I mean - what else would you do.

I think this should apply to secondary school however maybe?
Original post by eggbert2
**** school, wish i could have my life back

School=Life
Reply 7
Yeah, my bad i was just assuming we were talking about secondaary school. I also think that a lot of teenagers just think they know whats best, and are stubborn, best way is to find out the turht for yourself i guess
Exactly the line of thinking I have, I mean - what else would you do.

I think this should apply to secondary school however maybe?
Original post by Shxdow
Yeah, my bad i was just assuming we were talking about secondaary school. I also think that a lot of teenagers just think they know whats best, and are stubborn, best way is to find out the turht for yourself i guess

Exactly! Thanks for your thoughts :smile:
You’re assuming they would choose not to go, why would they take this option?

The majority would go to school. But some wouldn't because they think school isn't important. The number of times in high school i heard: 'why do i need to study this, i won't need this in real life'. When you are 12 year olds you don't know.

I think it would result in students only going to 50% of the classes. Or students taking gap year after gap year and eventually leaving high school at 21 year old without a diploma. I see it happening at uni, where you can choose to attend or not. Some folks only show up half of the times in lectures and fail the exams. Then they drop out.
Original post by GlockInmyRari
The majority would go to school. But some wouldn't because they think school isn't important. The number of times in high school i heard: 'why do i need to study this, i won't need this in real life'. When you are 12 year olds you don't know.

I think it would result in students only going to 50% of the classes. Or students taking gap year after gap year and eventually leaving high school at 21 year old without a diploma. I see it happening at uni, where you can choose to attend or not. Some folks only show up half of the times in lectures and fail the exams. Then they drop out.

But university is about taking academics higher and that isn’t for everyone. Secondary education is often the thresh-hold for education but also offers a place for learning personally and socially, it’s s community and a lot of cool things happen In schools.

I think you would have people not go but maybe not as many as you think. It’s certainly an interesting idea. They could moan about what they’re studying but they could also leave?
Mixed opinions here....

I mean some people I know are interested in pursuing careers based on the creative arts and they believe school is meaningless. Before study leave I asked some classmates if they would go to school if it wasn't compulsory and I was surprised by how many people said no. I found that so many people love education/learning but hate the restrictive environment of secondary school and how teachers have to prioritise the misbehaving kids.

One of my classmates said he would've preferred just working 9-5 because money's tight and going to school didn't mean anything if he had to self study for exams anyway. I hated school and if it wasn't compulsory I wouldn't mind because there are so many online resources I need for gcses and hypothetically speaking I would only need assistance at sixth form.

Besides is school necessary in the modern world we live in? I agree teenagers are reckless but I often find that the ones who are acting out are interested in other career routes - school is not for everyone and it's unfair on teachers who have to put up with that.

I know there are so many options at 16 - before that homeschooling and religious faith schools exists so there's always some leniency. Additionally compulsory education teaches children that there are people in this world who would love to go to school but can't. Still I don't know if it should be mandatory..
Reply 12

Any thoughts?

No. Mandatory schooling is fascism.
Original post by jojo444
No. Mandatory schooling is fascism.

How so?
Reply 14
How so?

Fascism is ordering people about. Mandatory is ordering people about.
Original post by jojo444
Fascism is ordering people about. Mandatory is ordering people about.

But so many things in life is mandatory
Reply 16
But so many things in life is mandatory

Not things that take up most of your time.
Original post by jojo444
Not things that take up most of your time.

I need to reduce my hours in work
Reply 18
I need to reduce my hours in work

Nobody is using a whip to make you work.
Original post by jojo444
Nobody is using a whip to make you work.

What school do you go to and how do you get in?!
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending