The Student Room Group

My long journey to finally securing a place at Aston university!

Hi,

Having seen some students feeling disheartened after being rejected...

I thought I’d share my “rollercoaster”of a journey that I had to face, to today get me onto the course I’ve always wanted!

Firstly, I didn’t get a place at a secondary school that all my siblings got into so I had to go elsewhere yet I still came out with decent grades (nothing less than a C).

Thankfully I was able to get a place for sixth form where all my siblings went.

So basically I as well others consider myself as a very caring and hard working student.

Optometry was ALWAYS a dream career of mine-yet having not got a B for Biology and not wanting to do Physics/Maths at Alevel, I felt that was the end of my dream career and felt as though I had to set my mind to something else.

So (it was a rushed decision) as teachers were pushing students to apply for universities I went for Midwifery (which was like a back up if I couldn’t do Optometry!) yet sadly I got rejected from all 5 universities! I began to lose hope and feel like a failure and couldn’t concentrate on my alevels.
My best teacher encouraged me to work hard and prove people wrong. As she knew I worked extremely hard.
SHe told me “everything happens for a reason-you’ll find out later on down the line”
So then I was told I could apply throughout UCAS Extra and then I was also informed about a “foundation programme that can get me into Optometry” (after having discussed with teachers) so I thought why not give it a chance and apply for Optometry at Aston (I didn’t want to stay at home and Aston was the only univeristy that was local to me).

Thankfully I was given a offer if I got BBB.

I did alevel Chemistry, psychology,English literature and BTEC Health and social care.

Chemistry I always struggled the most in and was confident I’d never get a B!
Hence, the wait for results day was very hard for me because I knew if I got rejected I had no backup, as midwifery was my backup plan but I had already been rejected.

Yet now having received my results a few days ago. No, i didn’t get BBB but i still got the offer!!!!!
I got Distinction,A,C,D!

I worked hard for Chemistry yet still got a D but I know I couldn’t have worked any more and am SO grateful that I got onto this course! Which I never in a million years thought I’d get onto! I still don’t know what made Aston accept me,but I am so glad they did.

I look forward to going to Aston and hope that I am able to successfully complete my foundation year and get onto the course!

It comes to show hard work always pays off-I apologise to my teacher about me not doing so well in chemistry (as I was provided a lot of support by her) and felt so guilty.
But she made me realise I still got onto the course regardless of the grade and that’s all that matters!

Even though I’ve finished sixth form I still stay in touch with her-because if it wasn’t for this teacher I would have given up after having been rejected.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
Congrats and good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending