The Student Room Group

A-Level subjects for medicine/dentistry (Urgent Help!!)

Hi all, I was just wondering about my A-Level subjects to go in the field of medicine or dentistry (probably dentistry). I am about to start A-Levels so need help quickly. So far I have chosen to do maths chemistry and biology (the what you would call ‘main’ subjects for the career/university subject I would like). However I don’t know if I am as strong on my maths as I am with other subjects. To achieve at least AAA, I will need to be confident and obviously capable. If people could let me know the jump from GCSE maths to A-Level that’d be great. I think i could handle maths but if there are other options i will have to have a think. So with my mind set firmly on these career choices and very happy with chemistry and biology, what other subjects should I consider? The best looking to universities and most applicable. Thanks for your time!
Reply 1
Hi I'm hoping to apply to medicine in October and for my A Levels I took Biology, Chemistry, Geography and English Literature. You do not need Maths unless you wish to apply to Cambridge, who prefer it. I personally want to apply to Oxford, an equally amazing uni, and their stance is the third/fourth subject does not matter and they actually appreciate students being well-rounded by studying subjects outside of the realm of science. I didn't take maths, but I understand from a lot of my friends that the initial jump in content is not much, but by the end of the year and into A2 it is very intense and that even exam questions on topics that seem easy when learning are hard. If you enjoy maths then definitely do it, but if you're worried about getting an A (stress is not enjoyable) I would perhaps consider taking a different subject, maybe physics if you're a very scientific person still (I started off doing physics rather than geography and the maths wasn't too intense in my experience) or other academic subjects, such as English, history, geography, languages or psychology. Hope this helps!
Reply 2
I wanted to add that I don't think that Cambridge even does Dentistry, I was basing it off medicine. What you need is chemistry, biology, another good subject and ways of showing you're enthusiastic about the subject (work experience, reading etc.) and you're good to go! :biggrin:
Original post by Tombre
Hi I'm hoping to apply to medicine in October and for my A Levels I took Biology, Chemistry, Geography and English Literature. You do not need Maths unless you wish to apply to Cambridge, who prefer it. I personally want to apply to Oxford, an equally amazing uni, and their stance is the third/fourth subject does not matter and they actually appreciate students being well-rounded by studying subjects outside of the realm of science. I didn't take maths, but I understand from a lot of my friends that the initial jump in content is not much, but by the end of the year and into A2 it is very intense and that even exam questions on topics that seem easy when learning are hard. If you enjoy maths then definitely do it, but if you're worried about getting an A (stress is not enjoyable) I would perhaps consider taking a different subject, maybe physics if you're a very scientific person still (I started off doing physics rather than geography and the maths wasn't too intense in my experience) or other academic subjects, such as English, history, geography, languages or psychology. Hope this helps!

That helps a lot, thanks! I think I will need to have a look around and see what will suit me best for the two years and pick a subject with the highest grade I would achieve. Thanks again, good luck with everything!
Original post by Tombre
I wanted to add that I don't think that Cambridge even does Dentistry, I was basing it off medicine. What you need is chemistry, biology, another good subject and ways of showing you're enthusiastic about the subject (work experience, reading etc.) and you're good to go! :biggrin:

Yeah unfortunately oxbridge doesn’t do dentistry (no idea why!!) Also with work experience what sort of stuff did you undergo if you don’t mind me asking ?
Reply 5
Original post by gradeguesser
That helps a lot, thanks! I think I will need to have a look around and see what will suit me best for the two years and pick a subject with the highest grade I would achieve. Thanks again, good luck with everything!

Happy to help! That sounds like a good idea, if you have any questions regarding particular subjects just let me know, I have friends doing pretty much all mainstream A Levels, so know a fair bit about them to give any advice. Thank you, you too! :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by gradeguesser
Yeah unfortunately oxbridge doesn’t do dentistry (no idea why!!) Also with work experience what sort of stuff did you undergo if you don’t mind me asking ?

I find it mad that they don't offer such a popular and rigorous course. I did five days working in a psychiatric clinic and hospital last October and another 5 days this July in a hospital where I did rotations in a range of specialties, including neurology, urology, orthopaedic surgery, anaesthetics, rheumatology and more. I'm also hoping to get some care based experience soon, either with the elderly or young children, but I haven't done that just yet.
Original post by Tombre
I find it mad that they don't offer such a popular and rigorous course. I did five days working in a psychiatric clinic and hospital last October and another 5 days this July in a hospital where I did rotations in a range of specialties, including neurology, urology, orthopaedic surgery, anaesthetics, rheumatology and more. I'm also hoping to get some care based experience soon, either with the elderly or young children, but I haven't done that just yet.

That sounds great, thanks for the help :smile:
push
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest