The Student Room Group

positive A level resit stories

Any good stories of grades improving once resitting whole A levels? Quite sad since getting my results back and considering resitting.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Resat AS Further Maths, first year got a C, resat it and overall for AS got 294/300 and overall with second yeah got an A*

It’s worth it
Original post by Anon213
Resat AS Further Maths, first year got a C, resat it and overall for AS got 294/300 and overall with second yeah got an A*

It’s worth it

That's amazing but I've gotten my A2 results and am looking at resitting year 13.
Reply 3
Got BBC + C at AS. Resat BBC, did 3 extra A levels on top and got AAABBC. Doing maths at uni now
Original post by smartsy
Got BBC + C at AS. Resat BBC, did 3 extra A levels on top and got AAABBC. Doing maths at uni now

Did that take 3 years?
Anyone else?
bump
Reply 7
If it makes you feel better, i got ACC in psychology, bio & chem and i'm planning to resit the bio and chem privately so you're not alone.
Original post by fauziaa
If it makes you feel better, i got ACC in psychology, bio & chem and i'm planning to resit the bio and chem privately so you're not alone.

Which course did you originally apply for? Also, do you know what the costs are for private resits?
Reply 9
Original post by bkr32
Which course did you originally apply for? Also, do you know what the costs are for private resits?

i didn't apply as i always wanted to take a gap year, didn't plan to be resitting in my gap year though but i guess it is what it is.. my sixth form are offering to either let me resit bio + chem back at sixth form or its approx 80 pounds per subject so 160 pounds in total.
Original post by fauziaa
i didn't apply as i always wanted to take a gap year, didn't plan to be resitting in my gap year though but i guess it is what it is.. my sixth form are offering to either let me resit bio + chem back at sixth form or its approx 80 pounds per subject so 160 pounds in total.

Will you have to retake year 13 if you resit at sixth form?
Original post by bkr32
Will you have to retake year 13 if you resit at sixth form?

nope, i'll only go in for my bio and chem lessons but idk if this is every sixth form, my sixth form dont even let year 13's resit but are letting me because of extenuating circumstances that affected my A2 exams
Original post by bkr32
Any good stories of grades improving once resitting whole A levels? Quite sad since getting my results back and considering resitting.

Got BCC last year and was absolutely gutted. A year of hard work and I’ve just achieved A*AB and got into my firm. Anything is possible with hard work and determination!
Original post by LMsav
Got BCC last year and was absolutely gutted. A year of hard work and I’ve just achieved A*AB and got into my firm. Anything is possible with hard work and determination!

Who did predicted grades and references for you?
Original post by MajorFader
Who did predicted grades and references for you?

My college. My guidance manager and tutor were very helpful. Not sure if this is the case for all colleges though.
Original post by LMsav
My college. My guidance manager and tutor were very helpful. Not sure if this is the case for all colleges though.

Did each subject teacher have to predict your grades again? Could you even increase them from the year before? Also, did you resit them privately?
Original post by bkr32
Did each subject teacher have to predict your grades again? Could you even increase them from the year before? Also, did you resit them privately?

Yeah I got another set of predictions for each subject. I did resist them privately, but I know a lot of people who just resat through the college, they tend to be pretty accommodating
Original post by LMsav

In what subjects, when did you start revising and did you work in your gap year or just study?
Original post by fauziaa
In what subjects, when did you start revising and did you work in your gap year or just study?

I only reset Economics (A*) and Politics (A) but all modules. I chose not to resit the B (Law) as I needed AAB for my firm. The work was on going, but I’d say I really got down to ‘proper’ revision around April. The difference between this year and last year though is that it was actually revision rather than cramming material I hadn’t take in.

I did a little bit of part time work to start with, but eased off around Christmas to focus on revision - but in hindsight I probably would have been able to work for longer! I was just paranoid about missing my offer for the second time.
Original post by LMsav
I only reset Economics (A*) and Politics (A) but all modules. I chose not to resit the B (Law) as I needed AAB for my firm. The work was on going, but I’d say I really got down to ‘proper’ revision around April. The difference between this year and last year though is that it was actually revision rather than cramming material I hadn’t take in.

I did a little bit of part time work to start with, but eased off around Christmas to focus on revision - but in hindsight I probably would have been able to work for longer! I was just paranoid about missing my offer for the second time.

When you say ongoing, does that mean you started writing notes etc in September?

Quick Reply