Anyone doing the LPC this year straight after graduating? Watch

DarkChaoz95
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
So I'm going to be starting the LPC this year, however I dont have any legal work experience nor training contract secured so it looks like I'm taking a big financial risk.

Is anyone else in the same position? Just curious to know people thoughts and get advice

Right now I been applying to loads of firms to get work experience but all say the same thing unflrtunately, I applied at my local CAB and hopefully I'll get in before the course starts.
Kyshall
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm in the same position as you. I haven't thus far even got as far as an interview for a training contract. I've applied for a lot of jobs in the legal sector and been offered a position with ShooSmiths as a case handler to do alongside the LPC for experience. This will be my only experience at a firm so far, though.
Studentlife9876
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Kyshall)
I'm in the same position as you. I haven't thus far even got as far as an interview for a training contract. I've applied for a lot of jobs in the legal sector and been offered a position with ShooSmiths as a case handler to do alongside the LPC for experience. This will be my only experience at a firm so far, though.
That's really good! If you don't mind me asking, what kind of experience do you have/is required to get this kind of role?

I've just graduated from uni and I'm also looking to get experience but i'm finding it quite difficult because I don't have any legal experience.
Kyshall
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No real experience to mention. I've got a lot of general work experience though from small high street shops to international betting companies in various roles. I guess that may have helped. Other than that it's just my law degree. I targeted them for a training contract and didn't get that so applied to all of the vacancies on the website and they asked me to interview.

I think it's an entry level position which essentially anyone can do but it's a law firms name on the CV! Although, the process leaves a lot to be desired! 😂
DarkChaoz95
Rep:
?
Thats pretty great! so are you doing LPC full time or part time? I'm doing full time myself and I got interview at CAB which im hoping to get.

So whats your plan after LPC? Im probably not going to apply for TC straightway. Im going to do try gather at least 2 years experience beforehand.
(Original post by Studentlife9876)
That's really good! If you don't mind me asking, what kind of experience do you have/is required to get this kind of role?

I've just graduated from uni and I'm also looking to get experience but i'm finding it quite difficult because I don't have any legal experience.
Have you tried volunteering at your local CAB? Thats what im doing since its pretty difficult to get in with a Law firm unless you have family connections.

I got an interview lined up.
Kyshall
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm doing it full time to get it out of the way. I want to get it done before the SRA change to the 'super exam' or whatever they are labelling it these days. I think it will be more beneficial. Not tried CAB yet, but will look into it for sure!
Studentlife9876
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No real experience to mention. I've got a lot of general work experience though from small high street shops to international betting companies in various roles. I guess that may have helped. Other than that it's just my law degree. I targeted them for a training contract and didn't get that so applied to all of the vacancies on the website and they asked me to interview.

I think it's an entry level position which essentially anyone can do but it's a law firms name on the CV! Although, the process leaves a lot to be desired! 😂
Hahahah that's good! Gives me hope that I can find something :-)
DarkChaoz95
Rep:
?
I'm doing it full time to get it out of the way. I want to get it done before the SRA change to the 'super exam' or whatever they are labelling it these days. I think it will be more beneficial. Not tried CAB yet, but will look into it for sure!
My second part of the post was aimed at student life haha, but i guess this also useful for you too :P

But yeah i too trying to get it out the way, I mean the New SQE is two years away and right now I think the core content is still undetermined etc. Too much unertainty right now.

Plus, I think now since lpc courses have llm attached for it, you dont need to self fund but at the same time you'll get raked with more debt that you'll unlikely ever to pay off.

My plan of action right now:

Gain legal work exlerience + do LPC > post lpc do paralegal work > apply for TC after gaining paralegal experience

Realistically, im probably not going to be qualified until im 30 at this rate. But im in no rush.
sloths
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Just a bit of advice if you are going into the LPC with little experience, message your department before term starts, find the contact that runs the law clinic/legal advice centre at your uni and ask them to keep you in mind for any upcoming opportunities to work with the law clinic. As soon as applications open for for things like law clinic placements, student pro bono committees, streetlaw opportunities etc, sign up. Hopefully there will be plenty of opportunities for you to gain some legal work experience over the year

Good luck with the CAB they are great to volunteer with and you should learn a lot. If they're busy and can't take you on at the moment most cities have other legal based charities that you could message
DarkChaoz95
Rep:
?
(Original post by sloths)
Just a bit of advice if you are going into the LPC with little experience, message your department before term starts, find the contact that runs the law clinic/legal advice centre at your uni and ask them to keep you in mind for any upcoming opportunities to work with the law clinic. As soon as applications open for for things like law clinic placements, student pro bono committees, streetlaw opportunities etc, sign up. Hopefully there will be plenty of opportunities for you to gain some legal work experience over the year

Good luck with the CAB they are great to volunteer with and you should learn a lot. If they're busy and can't take you on at the moment most cities have other legal based charities that you could message
Cheers, and I had an interview yesterday and got in!

As for the law clinc, I dont think my uni has it though im planning the join the law club at the SU society or whatever and see if I can get any opportunities that.

Also as of right now, I really need to have tight time management since I will be volunteering, doing LPC and doing part time job (definitely considering quitting this as no point in risking doing poorly).

Also how intense is the LPC and workload like? I read about them and asked lecturers briefly but they dont go much in detail. Is the intensity and workload pressure for the workshop or just preparing for overall exams?
sloths
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by DarkChaoz95)
Cheers, and I had an interview yesterday and got in!

As for the law clinc, I dont think my uni has it though im planning the join the law club at the SU society or whatever and see if I can get any opportunities that.

Also as of right now, I really need to have tight time management since I will be volunteering, doing LPC and doing part time job (definitely considering quitting this as no point in risking doing poorly).

Also how intense is the LPC and workload like? I read about them and asked lecturers briefly but they dont go much in detail. Is the intensity and workload pressure for the workshop or just preparing for overall exams?
Congrats for getting in to CAB!!

Workload is pretty intense especially in first semester (if your course is like mine with core modules in 1st sem and electives in 2nd sem) workload dramatically decreases in 2nd semester.
You consistently have seminars to prep for core modules plus all smaller skills courses like advocacy, accounts etc. I Managed a 2 day a week job whilst studying so it is doable but like you say, time management is key. The workload is less about exams, but more weekly - as each weekly seminar gives you the basis for the exam questions. You only start worrying about exams say a month before hand, as even 2/3 weeks before the exam you are still learning new content, so take it weekly.

I think the best way to look at it is that the LPC content isn't that difficult (i think land, trusts etc was much harder!) it is just the workload that is intense, so keep on top of it and it should be fine

Feel free to message me any time about the LPC etc! Will help however I can, it's a tough year!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (23)
6.42%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (207)
57.82%
No (128)
35.75%

Watched Threads