The Student Room Group

What is a having a shared bathroom like?

So i'm looking to go to QMUL since it's an hour and a half commute away and will probably stay for first year but move back home second year. The prices for their shared bathroom are already at 132 which is understandable because London but what's it actually like staying in a hall with a shared bathroom?
'I don't live in halls but I do live in a council flat with the same set-up as halls (shared bathroom, shared kitchen) and I have specifically chosen to rent privately rather than go to halls specifically because of the shared bathrooms and kitchen issue. Sharing a bathroom means you can't leave your stuff in it, you have to take your toothbrush and toothpaste and mouthwash and shampoo from your room every time. It gets tedious. You also have to deal with any damage other people cause to the toilets like if they clog it etcetera. You will also need toilet paper for emergencies when they don't restock it. Sharing a kitchen can also be uncomfortable because people may judge what you eat or will want to talk to you even when you want to be left alone. Can make you feel self-conscious, and it's much harder to make complicated meals because you have to clean the countertops every time you cook, after and also before every time, because you can't trust that the previous person cleaned. A shared kitchen will always be dirtier than one you share with only one roommate or one to yourself.

All of that said, you can manage and be happy in halls, it's all about your outlook and preferences. If you're extroverted and don't mind carrying things around, none of this will bother you! Also, if you're only cooking really simple stuff, you won't need to clean the counters either and you won't be in the kitchen for long!
Reply 2
Original post by AthenaVivian
'I don't live in halls but I do live in a council flat with the same set-up as halls (shared bathroom, shared kitchen) and I have specifically chosen to rent privately rather than go to halls specifically because of the shared bathrooms and kitchen issue. Sharing a bathroom means you can't leave your stuff in it, you have to take your toothbrush and toothpaste and mouthwash and shampoo from your room every time. It gets tedious. You also have to deal with any damage other people cause to the toilets like if they clog it etcetera. You will also need toilet paper for emergencies when they don't restock it. Sharing a kitchen can also be uncomfortable because people may judge what you eat or will want to talk to you even when you want to be left alone. Can make you feel self-conscious, and it's much harder to make complicated meals because you have to clean the countertops every time you cook, after and also before every time, because you can't trust that the previous person cleaned. A shared kitchen will always be dirtier than one you share with only one roommate or one to yourself.

All of that said, you can manage and be happy in halls, it's all about your outlook and preferences. If you're extroverted and don't mind carrying things around, none of this will bother you! Also, if you're only cooking really simple stuff, you won't need to clean the counters either and you won't be in the kitchen for long!

- I can't cook proper big meals sooooo yeah
- I'm not really extroverted but i'm not really introverted
- How much cheaper/expensive is the out of halls
Outside of halls in London? Probably a similar cost tbh, maybe more considering water bills etc.
Reply 4
Original post by AthenaVivian
Outside of halls in London? Probably a similar cost tbh, maybe more considering water bills etc.

Guess im just gunna wait to see how much student loan i'll get

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending