The Student Room Group

Oxford question

Hello all
Just wondering..
if the entrance requirement for an Oxford course is AAA, would they accept you with A*A*B?
And also; would a B in Biology AS hinder your application, even if you had a good PS and the predicted grades?
Thanks
Potentially- it would be at their discretion, however your predicted grades would need to meet minimum entrance requirements. So you'd need to be predicted an A, your offer would probably be AAA but they may let you in if you got A*A*B-it's not guaranteed though
You can ask them direct.

Which course is this for?
Reply 3
Reply 4
Their English course
Have you attained these A levels, or are these your predicted grades; I am confused?
Reply 6
Original post by Science99999
Have you attained these A levels, or are these your predicted grades; I am confused?

Predicted grades
Original post by 12KK
Predicted grades

From discussing this concept with previous admission tutors, the majority of Oxbridge applicants are predicted A*A*A* or A*A*A. Such an application process is intensely competitive, you need exceptional GCSEs, perform relatively well in admission examinations (although extraordinary GCSEs can alleviate the emphasis); be predicted highly (A*A*A or A*AA minimum); then they would consider your personal statement (your super-curricular activities are prioritised over extra-curricular- Oxford don't consider extra-curricular). After these factors are considered, depending on your strength as a potential Oxonian, you would be invited to an interview. As daunting as it seems, the interview provides an opportunity for both the interviewer and the candidate to express their subject enthusiasm, whilst conversing with academic debates; being introduced to challenges and exploring new concepts. There really isn't an "Oxford Standard", every Oxonian is self-righteously unique. Good luck! Note: What were you GCSEs?
Reply 8
Original post by Science99999
From discussing this concept with previous admission tutors, the majority of Oxbridge applicants are predicted A*A*A* or A*A*A. Such an application process is intensely competitive, you need exceptional GCSEs, perform relatively well in admission examinations (although extraordinary GCSEs can alleviate the emphasis); be predicted highly (A*A*A or A*AA minimum); then they would consider your personal statement (your super-curricular activities are prioritised over extra-curricular- Oxford don't consider extra-curricular). After these factors are considered, depending on your strength as a potential Oxonian, you would be invited to an interview. As daunting as it seems, the interview provides an opportunity for both the interviewer and the candidate to express their subject enthusiasm, whilst conversing with academic debates; being introduced to challenges and exploring new concepts. There really isn't an "Oxford Standard", every Oxonian is self-righteously unique. Good luck! Note: What were you GCSEs?

Thanks for your reply.

GCSEs
Eng Lit: 9
Eng Lang: 9
Maths: 7
Physics, Business, Finance, Geography, Ethics: A
Biology, Chemistry, French: B
ECDL: Distinction
I also got a B in AS Biology (a bit dissapointed about that) and an A* in EPQ
You have a very short window to change these predicted grades, and you'll have to wait and see if you are invited
I applied to Oxford for physics. At the interview, I was asked if an astronaut in orbit would be able to light a candle on his birthday cake. I replied I saw no reason why not but the flame might be an irregular shape. I was told that was the wrong answer and the candle would self extinguish as the convetion currents would not work. This was well before anyone had actually tried it. I have since seen it done aboard spacelab and guess what... the flame was an irregular shape but it worked. Oxford... YOU were wrong and failed me on a lie!
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by 12KK
Hello all
Just wondering..
if the entrance requirement for an Oxford course is AAA, would they accept you with A*A*B?
And also; would a B in Biology AS hinder your application, even if you had a good PS and the predicted grades?
Thanks

Original post by 12KK
Their English course

You really need an A prediction instead of that B. However if you don't mind a long shot, and after all it's just one of your 5 choices, then you can certainly apply.

A strong ELAT may be helpful.

You don't need to apply to all 5 at the same time. A good strategy is to keep back one or 2 choices until after you receive your Oxford decision in early January.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by 12KK
Hello all
Just wondering..
Thanks

Thanks for the post.

You would need to be predicted A (or higher) in three subjects if the entry requirement for the subject you are interested in is AAA.
Reply 13
Original post by BrasenoseAdm
Thanks for the post.

You would need to be predicted A (or higher) in three subjects if the entry requirement for the subject you are interested in is AAA.

Ok thanks for the reply.
Is there a chance of people who have been predicted the required grades, but have slightly fallen short of it on results day still getting accepted?
Original post by 12KK
Hello all
Just wondering..
Thanks

I'd try to get that B moved up to an A, although you're definitely in with a shot, give it a go. :smile:
That does sometimes happen if there are extenuating circa & if the selectors think the potential in the subject applied for is also strong

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending