Jacob Whyte
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I just got my student finance application back and the maintenance loan isn’t nearly what I was expecting, £4054.

I live with my single mother who earns way less than £25000 a year and I also have a father I don’t live with who earns about £30000 a year

The problem is the accommodation I have applied for will cost £4700 for the full contract so this means I don’t even have enough just to cover the rent, nevermind food, toiletries and things for leisure.

I’ve accepted a place at the university of Leeds to start this September

The accommodation I have applied for is the second cheapest I could see and I only picked it because the cheapest would require a bus journey every morning and yet I’m still won’t be getting enough.

Help?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Jacob Whyte)
I just got my student finance application back and the maintenance loan isn’t nearly what I was expecting, £4054.

I live with my single mother who earns way less than £25000 a year and I also have a father I don’t live with who earns about £30000 a year

The problem is the accommodation I have applied for will cost £4700 for the full contract so this means I don’t even have enough just to cover the rent, nevermind food, toiletries and things for leisure.

The accommodation I have applied for is the second cheapest I could see and I only picked it because the cheapest would require a bus journey every morning and yet I’m still won’t be getting enough.

Help?
Has your mum sent through her income information and proof that she’s single? Once that information is received and processed SFE will reassess you for a higher loan
Jacob Whyte
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
Has your mum sent through her income information and proof that she’s single? Once that information is received and processed SFE will reassess you for a higher loan
Yeah she did all that
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yeah she did all that
Then once they've processed it your loan will get bumped up. You can ring SFE to check that they've received everything they need and how long things are going to take
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Help?
What's wrong with a bus journey every morning? If it's cheaper and will help you live then I would try to change to that one.
Jacob Whyte
Rep:
?
(Original post by DrawTheLine)
What's wrong with a bus journey every morning? If it's cheaper and will help you live then I would try to change to that one.
Well if I factor in the cost of getting the bus it doesn’t actually come out any cheaper than the one I’m staying at
DrawTheLine
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Well if I factor in the cost of getting the bus it doesn’t actually come out any cheaper than the one I’m staying at
Can you not get a student bus pass?
Jacob Whyte
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
Then once they've processed it your loan will get bumped up. You can ring SFE to check that they've received everything they need and how long things are going to take
Well they delayed the process so they could collect this information about 2 week ago so shouldn’t they have already processed all that? Why would they not do all the information all at once
Roving Fish
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Well they delayed the process so they could collect this information about 2 week ago so shouldn’t they have already processed all that? Why would they not do all the information all at once
Welcome to the world of government. Never assume anything run in a sensible order.

Have you logged onto your Student Finance account on GOV.UK? If they've sent you any newer information, it'll be held there too. If they've not, then do as PQ suggests and call them to see what the processing time and if there's anything else they need.
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's a VERY busy time right now - the processing time is well over two weeks.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
They rush through the basic loan applications to make sure that everyone gets *something* and knows they'll get something as soon as possible. Your loan plus a student account overdraft should be enough to cover your first terms rent - even if the rest of the loan comes through a week or so into term.

This does all take time which is why SFE ask students to get their application (including household income and evidence) in by May to guarantee they'll get their full loan at the start of their course.
Jacob Whyte
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
They rush through the basic loan applications to make sure that everyone gets *something* and knows they'll get something as soon as possible. Your loan plus a student account overdraft should be enough to cover your first terms rent - even if the rest of the loan comes through a week or so into term.

This does all take time which is why SFE ask students to get their application (including household income and evidence) in by May to guarantee they'll get their full loan at the start of their course.
Okay I will wait a little longer. I know part of the issue is that accommodation in Leeds is slightly more expensive than other places but they do offer extra grants of £3000 early first term so I’ll talk to them then
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Okay I will wait a little longer. I know part of the issue is that accommodation in Leeds is slightly more expensive than other places but they do offer extra grants of £3000 early first term so I’ll talk to them then
If you're really struggling most universities will also offer hardship loans to help cover you until your student finance kicks in.

Make sure you've got the best student account available to you with the biggest interest free overdraft - that's often the earliest way to get cash available before you turn up in person.
Angela SFE
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Help?

Hi,

The current timescale for processing your mother's financial details and evidence is up to 20 working days from the date received.

You can check the progress of your application via your online account.

Thanks, Angela.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (5)
9.62%
Disagree (4)
7.69%
Neither agree or disagree (15)
28.85%
Agree (18)
34.62%
Strongly Agree (10)
19.23%

Watched Threads