The Student Room Group

Taking Geography + Music or just Music?

Hello-

I don’t know whether I should:

A) Take Geography in school, and teach myself Music (with sessions with a tutor once per month) out of school, taking both GCSE’s.
B) Take Music in school. Not take Geography.

I like both subjects and find them both very easy. However, I can’t see myself taking either to A-level/IB/whatever.

I don’t know if it’s better to get an extra GCSE (and a useful one, at that), or to skip all of that stress and coast through just taking History, Music, French, and Spanish.

I am predicted all 9’s and also worry about getting a 7 or 8 because of stretching myself too thin (I know this is irrational, but part of myself thinks that no GCSE in Geography is better then an 8 in Geography).

We would also save about £900 if I didn’t have to have the Music tutor and didn’t go on the Geography coursework residential.

I don’t know if I should go for the extra GCSE, or cut all of that stress and hassle and money (my parents’).

Other notes- I take grades on the cello, clarinet, and music theory, which show my qualifications in music.

I will be taking English language, English literature, Maths, Further Maths, Statistics, History, French, Spanish, Biology, Chemistry, and Physics, regardless of what I do about this Geography/Music thing.
Original post by TheGame314
Hello-

I don’t know whether I should:

A) Take Geography in school, and teach myself Music (with sessions with a tutor once per month) out of school, taking both GCSE’s.
B) Take Music in school. Not take Geography.

I like both subjects and find them both very easy. However, I can’t see myself taking either to A-level/IB/whatever.

I don’t know if it’s better to get an extra GCSE (and a useful one, at that), or to skip all of that stress and coast through just taking History, Music, French, and Spanish.

I am predicted all 9’s and also worry about getting a 7 or 8 because of stretching myself too thin (I know this is irrational, but part of myself thinks that no GCSE in Geography is better then an 8 in Geography).

We would also save about £900 if I didn’t have to have the Music tutor and didn’t go on the Geography coursework residential.

I don’t know if I should go for the extra GCSE, or cut all of that stress and hassle and money (my parents’).

Other notes- I take grades on the cello, clarinet, and music theory, which show my qualifications in music.

I will be taking English language, English literature, Maths, Further Maths, Statistics, History, French, Spanish, Biology, Chemistry, and Physics, regardless of what I do about this Geography/Music thing.

I thought that was going to be complicated. It was not.

Unis will just look at how many GCSEs and grades you have with the only ones they care about being Maths and English.
One GCSE wont make a deal of difference.
Have you asked the school if you can sit the extra one there? Do the one you enjoy and can get the best grade in . If the £500 or £900 makes a big difference then decide if the benefit of not spending is big enough.

Quick Reply

Latest