Unistudent001
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi all,

Just wanting to know if Reading Uni accepts direct entry students? I passed my 1st year going into second. I study engineering at ‘X’ Uni but would like to be transferred into Reading Uni to study 2nd year and the same/similar engineering course because it’s my hometown (x is there to protect my privacy).

So if any of you have done similar things as to this or know anything about direct entry to Reading Uni then I would very much appreciate your advice.

Thank You.
Simbess
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Unistudent001)
Hi all,

Just wanting to know if Reading Uni accepts direct entry students? I passed my 1st year going into second. I study engineering at ‘X’ Uni but would like to be transferred into Reading Uni to study 2nd year and the same/similar engineering course because it’s my hometown (x is there to protect my privacy).

So if any of you have done similar things as to this or know anything about direct entry to Reading Uni then I would very much appreciate your advice.

Thank You.
You would probably have needed to discuss this much earlier with your university, especially if you're wanting to go directly into an academic year that starts in less than a months time.
My only advice is to call them and ask? Explain your situation and go from what they say there.
mark.s__
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Does Reading accept Direct entrants into Part 2: Yes. The Programme Director needs to sign off your APL, showing that the syllabus at your current University mirrors that of Reading Part 1. Simbess is right, this process can take weeks/months, so you would have missed the boat for the 2018/19 academic year.

But...
Reading closed their Engineering Department a few years ago, I'm pretty sure the only course they offer is Biomedical Engineering.
Simbess
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thank you @mark.s__ - much more detailed than I could do!
The university might also want to consider your reasons for moving - motivations etc - if you weren't aware that the university doesn't do a similar course to what you already do, they might question it and want to know more about circumstances
Unistudent001
Rep:
?
Thank You mark.s__ & Simbess for replying to me. I have sent an email to them about this matter about 3 days ago and I am waiting for their response.
Simbess
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's ok I'd just telephone them now.... especially if you're keen to move asap.
UniofReadingPG
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi all,

Thank You.
Hi,

It was nice to hear you consider coming back to your hometown and choosing the University of Reading.

I have just asked my supervisor about this and we would suggest you contact admissions directly. Here are their contact details;

Undergraduate Admissions Office
Tel: +44(0)118 378 8372 Email: [email protected]

It depends on your grades and the similarity of modules you have done in your first year.

Although Reading does not have Engineering, we offer similar courses like construction management and surveying, computer sciences, and physics etc. As such, it depends on what you like to be transferred to as well. If the modules are different, you might likely need to go through 1st year again. Anyway, please contact admissions for specific details for you.

Have a nice day.

Prau
Postgraduate student ambassador.
Unistudent001
Rep:
?
(Original post by UniofReadingPG)
Hi,

It was nice to hear you consider coming back to your hometown and choosing the University of Reading.

I have just asked my supervisor about this and we would suggest you contact admissions directly. Here are their contact details;

Undergraduate Admissions Office
Tel: +44(0)118 378 8372 Email: [email protected]

It depends on your grades and the similarity of modules you have done in your first year.

Although Reading does not have Engineering, we offer similar courses like construction management and surveying, computer sciences, and physics etc. As such, it depends on what you like to be transferred to as well. If the modules are different, you might likely need to go through 1st year again. Anyway, please contact admissions for specific details for you.

Have a nice day.

Prau
Postgraduate student ambassador.

I called them yesterday and they said that the course I am interested in which is biomedical engineering is new and that there isn't any one studying from 2nd year yet so they can't take me in from year 2 is that true because I've seen that course being taught before (in 2016) thats when I first saw them advertise biomedical engineering.
mark.s__
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I called them yesterday and they said that the course I am interested in which is biomedical engineering is new and that there isn't any one studying from 2nd year yet so they can't take me in from year 2 is that true because I've seen that course being taught before (in 2016) thats when I first saw them advertise biomedical engineering.
I remember from my Student Ambassador days at Reading doing UCAS fairs and Open Days that Biomedical Engineering was a new course coming in 17/18 academic year.

Normally the course would have been announced 2 years prior to the first cohort starting with it being featured on the website/prospectus 12-18 months prior

I’m not 100% sure, but this course may have been a successor programme from the former Engineering department
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Reading
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 5 Oct '19
  • University of Reading
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 12 Oct '19

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (220)
23.63%
Pop (231)