The Student Room Group

Resitting A-level Maths

Hi,

I have just finished my first year at university and have begun looking at internships for the end of second year. However, the majority of my internships I am looking at require A-levels at A*- C grades, yet I received a D in A-level Maths

Therefore, after not deciding to resit my 2017 exams in 2018, I was wondering if there would be an opportunity for me to resit some of my Maths modules in 2019 (the ones I didnt do as well on).However, I studied the old A-level for Maths (with AS levels), not the new linear A-levels. I have looked online and cife.org.uk suggested that I can resit in the summer of 2019 (as its the last year in which resitting the old A-levels is allowed) but I just wanted to make sure if thats the case and also whether I am allowed to do so considering it will be two years since I took my A-level exams.

So if there is any chance it would be much appreciated if you could answer my three queries:

- Am I allowed to resit the old A-level Maths exams in summer 2019
- Am I allowed to even resit due to the fact that I am choosing to resit two years after I took my A-levels
- If I am allowed to resit Maths, who should I contact (Exam board or sixth form or UCAS)

I hope you can help
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by ChicharitoMUFC

So if there is any chance it would be much appreciated if you could answer my three queries:

- Am I allowed to even resit due to the fact that I am choosing to resit two years after I took my A-levels
- If I am allowed to resit Maths, who should I contact (Exam board or sixth form or UCAS)

I hope you can help

Yes you can, summer 2019 is the last opportunity
Yes you can, there is no restriction
Contact your old school, any other local school/college in you home town or uni town and check the edexcel web site for suggestions on private candidate exam centres.
Original post by ChicharitoMUFC
Hi,

I have just finished my first year at university and have begun looking at internships for the end of second year. However, the majority of my internships I am looking at require A-levels at A*- C grades, yet I received a D in A-level Maths

Therefore, after not deciding to resit my 2017 exams in 2018, I was wondering if there would be an opportunity for me to resit some of my Maths modules in 2019 (the ones I didnt do as well on).However, I studied the old A-level for Maths (with AS levels), not the new linear A-levels. I have looked online and cife.org.uk suggested that I can resit in the summer of 2019 (as its the last year in which resitting the old A-levels is allowed) but I just wanted to make sure if thats the case and also whether I am allowed to do so considering it will be two years since I took my A-level exams.

I hope you can help

Yes you can resit any module you took before - not a new one.
You need to find an exam centre that will enter you for the exam - this may not be cheap. Check none of the exams clash with uni exams first!
What UMS did you get in each paper? PM me if you prefer - try not to retake too many as your degree must not suffer.
[No need to contact UCAS or an exam board - will your old school let you resit there?]
I am bemused as to why gdunne42's post is appearing above mine ... it was not there when my post was first online.
Original post by gdunne42
Yes you can, summer 2019 is the last opportunity
Yes you can, there is no restriction
Contact your old school, any other local school/college in you home town or uni town and check the edexcel web site for suggestions on private candidate exam centres.

I understand that you can't sit a module you did not take before ... resits only.
Sorry to hijack this thread, I completed my A levels in 2016 under the old spec , will I also be allowed to resit those modules or is it just for those who sat in 2017/2018. Thanks
Original post by Salient_Drive
Sorry to hijack this thread, I completed my A levels in 2016 under the old spec , will I also be allowed to resit those modules or is it just for those who sat in 2017/2018. Thanks

If you have already taken it you can resist in 2019. Doesn't matter if you took it this year or in 2006
Original post by Muttley79
I understand that you can't sit a module you did not take before ... resits only.

The exams are definitely for resist candidates only who have already certified the qualification but EDEXCEL are open to being flexible about entries and will certainly allow units to be substituted with different valid ones. I assume (but don't know) that other examiners will do the same.
The exams are definitely for resist candidates only who have already certified the qualification but EDEXCEL are open to being flexible about entries and will certainly allow units to be substituted with different valid ones. I assume (but don't know) that other examiners will do the same.

Are you sure? This is not what I was told ...
Original post by Salient_Drive

For Maths? Yes ...
Are you sure? This is not what I was told ...

There is some guidance that confirms it with specific examples linked in the latest email from Emporium, let me know if you haven't got access to it and I can forward it to you.
There is some guidance that confirms it with specific examples linked in the latest email from Emporium, let me know if you haven't got access to it and I can forward it to you.

I do have access but don't remember any recent guidance; perhaps Edexcel have changed what they originally said? I asked this specific question some time back. I will go and look, thanks.
I do have access but don't remember any recent guidance; perhaps Edexcel have changed what they originally said? I asked this specific question some time back. I will go and look, thanks.

16th august, it's towards the end of a long email
16th august, it's towards the end of a long email

Found it - I suppose it's easier for them not to have to check individual modules just a cash-in code. I don't think anyone will be taking advantage of this in my school but I suppose there could be an enquiry from a private candidate.
For Maths? Yes ...

Hi for Maths and Further Maths since I did both , that's good to know thanks

Quick Reply

Latest