The Student Room Group

HELP! Buying my first car...

So it’s been a long journey to get to this point but after 5 years of putting my driving off I’ve finally decided to get my license.

I passed my theory test and have booked my driving test in for next month, so I have about 4 1/2 weeks till my test now, everything is going well with my lessons and my instructor is positive he can get me passed on test day.

So now here comes the hard part, buying my first car.

I’ve been doing some investigating into what I should do and I have 3 options;

1. I buy a cheap car (I have a budget of £2250) to get me from A to B and save up for a newer car.
2. My parents part exchange their car and buy a used car with me and I give them money every month to eventually buy the car from them
3. I get a new car on finance

I really do not know what I should do or what is the best option for me at this point, my initial plan was to get the car a few weeks before my test and get learners insurance on it to start driving it with a parent to get used to the car but with so many options available out there I don’t know what to do. I’ve asked my parents for advice and they aren’t sure what’s the best option either.

If anyone has any advice that would be great!

Thanks!

FYI: I had 2 1/2 years of lessons when I was 17 then quit due to uni and have done lessons on an off since last summer.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
Dont get a new car. Its price is cut by 1/3 the minute you drive it out the garage. £2250 would get you a decent car, i.e Hyuandai i10 with 50k miles. If your parents dont mind, the best option would be to slowly pay your parents back for a used car.

However, you have to consider insurance is stupid and if you want to get a black box that wont be possible if you share a car.

So personally I would buy a used car in a low insurance bracket, get a black box and over time you'll save on insurance.

An example,

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201808159532873?advertising-location=at_cars
(edited 5 years ago)
I would go with 1 since you're likely to have some bumps and it'll help bring the insurance down for when you can get a better car.
Reply 3
When is the best time to buy the car? For my job I need it immediately so I don’t know if it’s best to get one as soon as I have the money and get used to the car or wait
Original post by meegraine
So it’s been a long journey to get to this point but after 5 years of putting my driving off I’ve finally decided to get my license.

I passed my theory test and have booked my driving test in for next month, so I have about 4 1/2 weeks till my test now, everything is going well with my lessons and my instructor is positive he can get me passed on test day.

So now here comes the hard part, buying my first car.

I’ve been doing some investigating into what I should do and I have 3 options;

1. I buy a cheap car (I have a budget of £2250) to get me from A to B and save up for a newer car.
2. My parents part exchange their car and buy a used car with me and I give them money every month to eventually buy the car from them
3. I get a new car on finance

I really do not know what I should do or what is the best option for me at this point, my initial plan was to get the car a few weeks before my test and get learners insurance on it to start driving it with a parent to get used to the car but with so many options available out there I don’t know what to do. I’ve asked my parents for advice and they aren’t sure what’s the best option either.

If anyone has any advice that would be great!

Thanks!

FYI: I had 2 1/2 years of lessons when I was 17 then quit due to uni and have done lessons on an off since last summer.

I'd say buy the cheaper car and save up from there.

Do insurance for when you pass your test before you buy it, even if you haven't passed yet.
Original post by Gus_4
Dont get a new car. Its price is cut by 1/3 the minute you drive it out the garage. £2250 would get you a decent car, i.e Hyuandai i10 with 50k miles. If your parents dont mind, the best option would be to slowly pay your parents back for a used car.

However, you have to consider insurance is stupid and if you want to get a black box that wont be possible if you share a car.

So personally I would buy a used car in a low insurance bracket, get a black box and over time you'll save on insurance.

An example,

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201808159532873?advertising-location=at_cars

I agree with Gus. Definitely stay away from getting a new car as you'll lose a lot of money in depreciation. A new car on finance also restricts you financially per month, so unless you can easily afford monthly payments, I'd stay away from this option too for a first car.

However, I personally wouldn't go with the car Gus has listed on Autotrader as it is a Category S car (it has been involved in an accident and written off with structural damage). Maybe go for a Volkswagen Fox or a Renault Twingo, these will be one of the cheapest cars you can insure and they're good little run-a-rounds. Can easily get one for under £2k.
I’d buy a new used car, get it on finance. Use your budget for deposit and save up for a deposit on the car. Don’t get black box insurance
Option 1. Don't bother with car finance or monthly repayments to family on your first car.

More than likely you'll end up with some scuffs and dings, you need some experience of driving before you bother looking at nice cars.
Congratulate. I only dream to buy a car and it is desirable that it was a crossover. I am very impressed with Mahindra. This is a really powerful cool car. The most amazing thing is that the manufacturer has taken care of the buyer and bolero price list presents a lot of options. Do you think this is a good car?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending