The Student Room Group

Got A*A*AA in chemistry biology maths and physics respectively, unsure of what to do

I am currently lined up to do chemistry at Durham uni (needed A*AA) however I am beginning to have my doubts- no doubt I like chemistry, it was my favourite A level. However, I worked really hard for these grades and im worried about career prospects. Should i instead take a gap year and do a degree in medicine/dentistry instead, hence guaranteeing a good, high paying career? I am also interested in going possibly into investment banking (I already have links with Coutts bank in london) or patent law- would a chemistry degree from Durham be suitable for these career options? Thanks in advance :smile:
Original post by hemmyf
I am currently lined up to do chemistry at Durham uni (needed A*AA) however I am beginning to have my doubts- no doubt I like chemistry, it was my favourite A level. However, I worked really hard for these grades and im worried about career prospects. Should i instead take a gap year and do a degree in medicine/dentistry instead, hence guaranteeing a good, high paying career? I am also interested in going possibly into investment banking (I already have links with Coutts bank in london) or patent law- would a chemistry degree from Durham be suitable for these career options? Thanks in advance :smile:

Considering your excellent grades, then have a word with your parents, but a gap year may not be a bad thing as you can apply for virtually any degree next year with those grades and maybe you just need space to research, get some work experience and find out which uni and want course is really for you.

Its not that its a bad course or uni, just you need to get the best fit for you and the grades give you options.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Considering your excellent grades, then have a word with your parents, but a gap year may not be a bad thing as you can apply for virtually any degree next year with those grades and maybe you just need space to research, get some work experience and find out which uni and want course is really for you.

Its not that its a bad course or uni, just you need to get the best fit for you and the grades give you options.

I think you hit the nail on the head there- I feel like I have so many options opened up now that I've received my results, and I guess I just feel overwhelmed with it all and the fact that its such a big decision. But at the same time I am desperate to move out and meet new people, I feel like I would be pretty lonely if I took a gap year as all my friends are off to uni this year. I'll take your advice and have a chat with my parents about it.
Reply 3
Thank you :smile: Just had a chat with my parents about medicine and they said it was a bad idea, and I know my decisions shouldn't be based on them but they said exactly what you did. My neighbour is also a doctor and she said she regrets becoming one because it's too stressful, so maybe that's a useful insight to take into account. I also completely forgot about UKCAT etc, so yeah I'm definitely going to research this more- thanks

Quick Reply

Latest