Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I applied to 6 year courses this year and received an offer to study med at Southampton. I missed the grades of BBB so I was unsuccessful. It has been a rough time for me and my family as my mother passed away during my application so this severely affected my results.
    I got BCC the Cs in biology and chemistry.
    I am remarking biology as I was only 2 marks away from a B, however even if the grade does change there is only one 6 year course that will take me - Bristol.
    If I take resit in bio and/or chem to get Bs I can apply to hull york gateway as they take resit applicants. I called southampton and they said that I can retake as they allow mitigating circumstances.
    Do you think its hopeless to apply to 6 year courses that only 10-11 places available? Southampton has 30 places but its a chance that they will give me an offer a second time round.
    I am sure there a those of you that are wondering why I am even trying for medicine with my grades. But I am passionate about medicine and coming from a disadvantaged background with such circumstances has lead me to such a position. Everything that has happened to me unexpectedly has only made me want to fight harder for this career.
    My GCSEs are 3A* 6As and 3Bs last year ukcat 612
    Do you think applying to 5 year courses would be more feasible as there is a greater number of places? I am going to retake my subjects anyway.
    There is also lancaster foundation ABB that may take me with retakes with mitigating circumstances. But it is a BMAT uni and I have no experience. There is 54 places up for grabs, do you think it would be worthwhile. How hard is it?
    There is also GEM but from the stories I have heard I dunno if this would be feasible for me in a couple of years. I also have no idea about medicine abroad.
    Has anyone been in my position? Advice?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by j_anon)
    I applied to 6 year courses this year and received an offer to study med at Southampton. I missed the grades of BBB so I was unsuccessful. It has been a rough time for me and my family as my mother passed away during my application so this severely affected my results.
    I got BCC the Cs in biology and chemistry.
    I am remarking biology as I was only 2 marks away from a B, however even if the grade does change there is only one 6 year course that will take me - Bristol.
    If I take resit in bio and/or chem to get Bs I can apply to hull york gateway as they take resit applicants. I called southampton and they said that I can retake as they allow mitigating circumstances.
    Do you think its hopeless to apply to 6 year courses that only 10-11 places available? Southampton has 30 places but its a chance that they will give me an offer a second time round.
    I am sure there a those of you that are wondering why I am even trying for medicine with my grades. But I am passionate about medicine and coming from a disadvantaged background with such circumstances has lead me to such a position. Everything that has happened to me unexpectedly has only made me want to fight harder for this career.
    My GCSEs are 3A* 6As and 3Bs last year ukcat 612
    Do you think applying to 5 year courses would be more feasible as there is a greater number of places? I am going to retake my subjects anyway.
    There is also lancaster foundation ABB that may take me with retakes with mitigating circumstances. But it is a BMAT uni and I have no experience. There is 54 places up for grabs, do you think it would be worthwhile. How hard is it?
    There is also GEM but from the stories I have heard I dunno if this would be feasible for me in a couple of years. I also have no idea about medicine abroad.
    Has anyone been in my position? Advice?
    I am sorry to hear about your circumstances and applaud your determination to do medicine. However I believe in your case the 6 year courses are probably most suitable for you. Graduate Entry Medicine is much more competitive, and will require at least a 2:1, some med schools will also need BBB in A-Levels. Also, considering that GEM is a 5 year course condensed into 4 years, do you think you will succeed in such an accelerated course?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ecolier)
    I am sorry to hear about your circumstances and applaud your determination to do medicine. However I believe in your case the 6 year courses are probably most suitable for you. Graduate Entry Medicine is much more competitive, and will require at least a 2:1, some med schools will also need BBB in A-Levels. Also, considering that GEM is a 5 year course condensed into 4 years, do you think you will succeed in such an accelerated course?
    Thank you for your advice, yeah I read about GEM and the entry requirements seem improbable for me to get onto right after graduation. The course is also quite intensive.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 20, 2018

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.