The Student Room Group

Comments on A level choices (students / parents, etc)

My son has to choose three from the following four A levels. I do not know if business and computer studies clashes, if so, he wants to do business suggesting he has a 'passion' for it, but in my opinion most people who do it have a 'passion,' many have the passion and no talent or no brains, and so on. We are not based in England, by the way. He excelled at Computer Science, getting his highest percentage score in that subject (5As, a B and a C in IGCSEs. Unfortunately, he got an F for his own 'mother tongue,' which is not English. His C is in Math, so I am thinking he might not have quite enough to do Physics at A level - his brother tried it but failed (miserably). However, Physics teachers suggests to him that the maths quota in physics might be getting reduced slightly, such is their desire to get kids to do it (I'm guessing?). He's got the chance to play quite high level football, requiring three nights training per week and a game on the weekend. It sounds like a lot / too much to do four subjects. Travel time is potentially horrendous, plus he will need to rest/sleep properly and look after himself. My only strong feeling is that Computer Studies at A level would be more useful than, say, business in terms of career prospects / the future? I am a parent, by the way! I get the feeling he is willing to 'throw it away,' which I think he will live to regret. Would appreciate some comments from students, then parents, if active on the forum, as 'in theory' I'm guessing the former are potentially likely to be influenced by the latter. Let's say 20 posts if possible before parents add their comments ...
(edited 5 years ago)
Let him do what he wants to do. At A-level, it is far more important to do subjects you enjoy, as opposed to those that you are just good at. If you make him take things he doesn't like, he'll hate it, and with the extra amount of time he has to spend on the subject, he'll resent school.

What are the 4 then? You've got Physics, Computing and Business here, what's the last one?
Let your son do what he is interested in. If he has a passion for business he will work hard, whether he is good at it or not.
I wouldn't do 4 if he has other commitments. It's not necessary for even the most prestigious university and will be a huge addition to his workload. Why not encourage him to research possible future careers/university courses and look at their requirements and choose his subjects that way?
Reply 4
]My son has to choose three from the following four A levels. Biology, Physics, Computer Science or Business. I do not know if business and computer studies clashes, if so, he wants to do business suggesting he has a 'passion' for it, but in my opinion most people who do it have a 'passion,' many have the passion and no talent or no brains, and so on. We are not based in England, by the way. He excelled at Computer Science, getting his highest percentage score in that subject (5As, a B and a C in IGCSEs. Unfortunately, he got an F for his own 'mother tongue,' which is not English. His C is in Math, so I am thinking he might not have quite enough to do Physics at A level - his brother tried it but failed (miserably). However, Physics teachers suggests to him that the maths quota in physics might be getting reduced slightly, such is their desire to get kids to do it (I'm guessing?). He's got the chance to play quite high level football, requiring three nights training per week and a game on the weekend. It sounds like a lot / too much to do four subjects. Travel time is potentially horrendous, plus he will need to rest/sleep properly and look after himself. My only strong feeling is that Computer Studies at A level would be more useful than, say, business in terms of career prospects / the future? I am a parent, by the way! I get the feeling he is willing to 'throw it away,' which I think he will live to regret. Would appreciate some comments from students, then parents, if active on the forum, as 'in theory' I'm guessing the former are potentially likely to be influenced by the latter. Let's say 20 posts if possible before parents add their comments ...
Reply 5
Original post by vicvic38
Let him do what he wants to do. At A-level, it is far more important to do subjects you enjoy, as opposed to those that you are just good at. If you make him take things he doesn't like, he'll hate it, and with the extra amount of time he has to spend on the subject, he'll resent school.

What are the 4 then? You've got Physics, Computing and Business here, what's the last one?

Sorry, 'my bad' - have fixed it now!
Original post by TheSteveT
]My son has to choose three from the following four A levels. Biology, Physics, Computer Science or Business. I do not know if business and computer studies clashes, if so, he wants to do business suggesting he has a 'passion' for it, but in my opinion most people who do it have a 'passion,' many have the passion and no talent or no brains, and so on. We are not based in England, by the way. He excelled at Computer Science, getting his highest percentage score in that subject (5As, a B and a C in IGCSEs. Unfortunately, he got an F for his own 'mother tongue,' which is not English. His C is in Math, so I am thinking he might not have quite enough to do Physics at A level - his brother tried it but failed (miserably). However, Physics teachers suggests to him that the maths quota in physics might be getting reduced slightly, such is their desire to get kids to do it (I'm guessing?). He's got the chance to play quite high level football, requiring three nights training per week and a game on the weekend. It sounds like a lot / too much to do four subjects. Travel time is potentially horrendous, plus he will need to rest/sleep properly and look after himself. My only strong feeling is that Computer Studies at A level would be more useful than, say, business in terms of career prospects / the future? I am a parent, by the way! I get the feeling he is willing to 'throw it away,' which I think he will live to regret. Would appreciate some comments from students, then parents, if active on the forum, as 'in theory' I'm guessing the former are potentially likely to be influenced by the latter. Let's say 20 posts if possible before parents add their comments ...

Right, I would not recommend him doing physics if he is not also doing A-Level Maths. Many people struggle without it, especially if he only got a C at GCSE.
Reply 7
Original post by BiscuitsAndTea
I wouldn't do 4 if he has other commitments. It's not necessary for even the most prestigious university and will be a huge addition to his workload. Why not encourage him to research possible future careers/university courses and look at their requirements and choose his subjects that way?

Good suggestions, I've tried that, maybe he'll listen now someone else has said it! ;-)
Reply 8

Right, I would not recommend him doing physics if he is not also doing A-Level Maths. Many people struggle without it, especially if he only got a C at GCSE.

Is this still true? I thought the same thing. The physics teacher seems to be telling him it's 'doable.' He was 'borderline' with the higher level maths group, just didn't seem to quite have the work rate.
Reply 9
Got me thinking now from some of this feedback, what about biology, computer science and business? Is that a reasonable combination? Or not if he is yet to know what he is going to use it for?
Is this still true? I thought the same thing. The physics teacher seems to be telling him it's 'doable.' He was 'borderline' with the higher level maths group, just didn't seem to quite have the work rate.

Well, if his teacher says it ok, then it should be. We did have a few struggle and drop at the beginning of our course because their maths was not up to scratch. However, the teacher may be taking that into account, and if they think they can get your son to a reasonable standard, then he probably can.

Got me thinking now from some of this feedback, what about biology, computer science and business? Is that a reasonable combination? Or not if he is yet to know what he is going to use it for?

Yeah? I mean, it's fairly wide, and not having maths will close off basically all degree level comp sci courses to him. But, like, let him choose what he wants. Chill out.
not having maths will close off basically all degree level comp sci courses to him.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5007920
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest