The Student Room Group

What happens if I make no friends in my accommodation...

Im really worried about starting uni this year and my main worry is that I will make no friends in my uni accommodation (or I won't be close enough with them to move into a house for 2nd year) and that I won't be able to move in with anyone for 2nd year.

Who else am I supposed to move into a house with? I know you may make friends with people on your course but they will supposedly move into a house with their own flat mates from their accommodation who they made friends with.
Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
wait so first year you stayed in halls then second year you moved into an apartment with your boyfriend?
Reply 2
Ok thank you I'm just really scared of being lonely
Reply 3
I've heard most people just be friendly with their halls people and sometimes you might make some friends but you can never tell. Advice I will try follow is to just be open and try go to as many social interactions as possible.
Reply 4
I made precisely zero friends within my accommodation and I'm in my second year house rn there's plenty of opportunities to find friends within societies, on your course and you could of course find you get on with people in your accommodation. I think you overestimate how many people stay with their first year house
Original post by tigers12
Im really worried about starting uni this year and my main worry is that I will make no friends in my uni accommodation (or I won't be close enough with them to move into a house for 2nd year) and that I won't be able to move in with anyone for 2nd year.

Who else am I supposed to move into a house with? I know you may make friends with people on your course but they will supposedly move into a house with their own flat mates from their accommodation who they made friends with.
Thanks

People find places to live many different ways at uni!

It's true that lots of people move in with people they met in accommodation, particularly if their halls consisted of flats of 10 or so people which makes it more likely for a few or all of them to form a close bond. But some don't; I know many people who just didn't really get along with their flatmates, or were in halls that had large blocks rather than small flats, which made it harder to get to know people intimately.

LOTS of people move in with friends from their courses. Sometimes it can be a combination of both - someone from a group of people from the same flat, for example, might know someone on their course looking for a house and invite them to join that group. The coursemate might feel like the odd one out at first but before long they'll all be really good friends. (This was the case with one of my past housemates.)

Some people meet their housemates in other ways - people from the same socials often move in together, for example. You might know people from home, or meet them on a night out in freshers and end up being friends. There are a million and one different ways to meet people at uni.

That being said, it's not at all uncommon to find yourself without a house group for the next academic year - even in second year! Not everyone wants to stay together. I didn't have much in common with my second year housemates, and my coursemates were looking at houses which were too expensive for me, so I went about the route that you might find most reassuring - find-a-housemate groups on Facebook etc. Plenty of people drop out of houses after signing up for them, leaving a room spare. It does mean you're moving in with people you don't know very well, but the same can be said for first year house-hunts! I actually got along immensely better with my housemates in third year and had an amazing time despite not knowing them before I moved in, and I honestly know dozens and dozens of people who had the exact same experience. It's not at all uncommon for people to find their housemates this way.

Bottom line is - don't feel pressure to get along with the people in your accommodation just for the sake of finding somewhere to live. If you're like-minded and get along, it will happen naturally. If you don't end up gelling with them, you're much better off finding somewhere else than moving in with people you're not likely to get along with in second year. (Trust me.) You WILL find a house - no one ends up homeless.
You can always stay in accommodation in year 2 and try and make friends again.
You can also join societies and clubs at university and make friends that way.
There will be loads of people on your course as well!

But don't feel forced to move into a house because I'm now in a house with people that treat me like dirt and I wish I went into accommodation for second year.
I didn’t make any friends in halls - moved in with some people I didn’t know and if all turned out fine. I made friends with one of them.
Reply 8
everyone i know who moved out second year did so with friends from class. i think you'll make better friends there as that's where you'll spend most of your time. plus, you'll learn to dislike the people you live with in student accommodation. you already know they don't keep the kitchen clean, that you can hear them through the walls. the kids in class you have no living history with, so you're more likely to like them more. :smile:

Thanks

Oh, and one random tip for making friends in halls during freshers - buy a door wedge and bring it with you to uni (in case they don't provide one). I was given this advice myself by my JCR in first year. You make friends a lot more quickly if your door's open rather than being shut inside. Seems silly but it can make a difference!
Reply 10
Original post by ingeardagum
People find places to live many different ways at uni!

It's true that lots of people move in with people they met in accommodation, particularly if their halls consisted of flats of 10 or so people which makes it more likely for a few or all of them to form a close bond. But some don't; I know many people who just didn't really get along with their flatmates, or were in halls that had large blocks rather than small flats, which made it harder to get to know people intimately.

LOTS of people move in with friends from their courses. Sometimes it can be a combination of both - someone from a group of people from the same flat, for example, might know someone on their course looking for a house and invite them to join that group. The coursemate might feel like the odd one out at first but before long they'll all be really good friends. (This was the case with one of my past housemates.)

Some people meet their housemates in other ways - people from the same socials often move in together, for example. You might know people from home, or meet them on a night out in freshers and end up being friends. There are a million and one different ways to meet people at uni.

That being said, it's not at all uncommon to find yourself without a house group for the next academic year - even in second year! Not everyone wants to stay together. I didn't have much in common with my second year housemates, and my coursemates were looking at houses which were too expensive for me, so I went about the route that you might find most reassuring - find-a-housemate groups on Facebook etc. Plenty of people drop out of houses after signing up for them, leaving a room spare. It does mean you're moving in with people you don't know very well, but the same can be said for first year house-hunts! I actually got along immensely better with my housemates in third year and had an amazing time despite not knowing them before I moved in, and I honestly know dozens and dozens of people who had the exact same experience. It's not at all uncommon for people to find their housemates this way.

Bottom line is - don't feel pressure to get along with the people in your accommodation just for the sake of finding somewhere to live. If you're like-minded and get along, it will happen naturally. If you don't end up gelling with them, you're much better off finding somewhere else than moving in with people you're not likely to get along with in second year. (Trust me.) You WILL find a house - no one ends up homeless.

Thank you this is really nice to read. but what you said on the last line about the fact that i WILL find home, I don't want to live on my own due to not having any friends to move in with. I don't want to have to get a flat outside of uni accommodation on my own, if you know what I mean.
Reply 11
Original post by mysticalfluffy
I didn’t make any friends in halls - moved in with some people I didn’t know and if all turned out fine. I made friends with one of them.

How did you range to move in with people that you hadn't ever met before? like how did you find each other?
Thanks
Reply 12
Original post by ingeardagum
Oh, and one random tip for making friends in halls during freshers - buy a door wedge and bring it with you to uni (in case they don't provide one). I was given this advice myself by my JCR in first year. You make friends a lot more quickly if your door's open rather than being shut inside. Seems silly but it can make a difference!

Thank you
How did you range to move in with people that you hadn't ever met before? like how did you find each other?
Thanks

Gumtree or Facebook student groups —in student cities there are always flats with a flat mate short.
Heya tigers12!

From my experience, people do lots of different things. They may move in with people they know, from their course or halls. They may move in with friends or their partner. Some people choose to live by themselves, e.g. in a studio apartment. Some people choose to go into private halls for second year - as this gives them a second shot at finding housemates they get on with better. Some people move into shared houses with completely new people, again to try and find more compatible housemates. Some companies will try to match people in halls/houses with other similar people, too, which is great!

Don't worry about it! Just make sure you don't feel like you HAVE to share with people you don't really get along with, just for the sake of people will people you know.

Hopefully that info was somewhat reassuring!
Harriet :smile:
First Year Photography Student and Student Ambassador at Plymouth College of Art
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by Plymouth College Of Art
Heya tigers12!

From my experience, people do lots of different things. They may move in with people they know, from their course or halls. They may move in with friends or their partner. Some people choose to live by themselves, e.g. in a studio apartment. Some people choose to go into private halls for second year - as this gives them a second shot at finding housemates they get on with better. Some people move into shared houses with completely new people, again to try and find more compatible housemates. Some companies will try to match people in halls/houses with other similar people, too, which is great!

Don't worry about it! Just make sure you don't feel like you HAVE to share with people you don't really get along with, just for the sake of people will people you know.

Hopefully that info was somewhat reassuring!
Harriet :smile:
First Year Photography Student and Student Ambassador at Plymouth College of Art

Thank you
I talked to people in my flat and we were friendly in the kitchen but we were not friends. They all came from the course and societies.
Moving together can also be a practical thing. People in the same subject doing homework together. I didn't make friends with those I lived together in Uni. I found my friends elsewhere.

You will join associations, clubs, gym, running club, cycle to uni every day with other people, meet the same people at the bar or pool, cinema or theatre. Be open
There's always accommodation psychos, who try to get their 2nd yr house buttoned down within a fortnight of freshers. They all tend to hate each other by Christmas. Be patient, there'll be thousands of you worrying about the same.
Reply 19
Original post by pickycroc
I talked to people in my flat and we were friendly in the kitchen but we were not friends. They all came from the course and societies.

thats intresting thank you, so did when did you arrange to live with your society/course friends for 2nd year?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending