The Student Room Group

A level further maths to do computer science at uni

So I want to do computer science at university (I’m I’m y11 atm, 12 in September) and it would be a dream to go to somewhere like imperial. From what I’ve read online I need to do further maths A level, I’m just wondering whether that will be too much work or if I can even handle it. My options would then be maths further maths and computer science
It's pretty much a de facto req for the top top unis, if you like your maths and genuinely enjoy and do well in it so far, I would recommend taking it, it's challenging but absolutely doable with the right attitude.
Original post by shawmc2002
So I want to do computer science at university (I’m I’m y11 atm, 12 in September) and it would be a dream to go to somewhere like imperial. From what I’ve read online I need to do further maths A level, I’m just wondering whether that will be too much work or if I can even handle it. My options would then be maths further maths and computer science

Further maths is very rarely a requirement for courses, although universities like you to have it. If you have the opportunity, you should take it.

You'll be fine with those options.

If you can handle it, do it. Imperial and oxford + other unis require it. I have a friend who applied to imperial with predicted grades of 4 x A* but didn't get in because he didn't have FM. However it isn't a requirement for all unis so if you are going to end up with worse grades overall because of taking it there is no point, ygm?
Reply 4
Original post by thotproduct
It's pretty much a de facto req for the top top unis, if you like your maths and genuinely enjoy and do well in it so far, I would recommend taking it, it's challenging but absolutely doable with the right attitude.

I don’t even have my results yet but I do enjoy maths and I suppose it would look better than doing economics which was my original choice. Il think about it on results day and if I do well I might consider it. I think it’s definitely a good decision in terms of getting to top universities
I don’t even have my results yet but I do enjoy maths and I suppose it would look better than doing economics which was my original choice. Il think about it on results day and if I do well I might consider it. I think it’s definitely a good decision in terms of getting to top universities

Thats a good idea. If you have any questions on FM or A Levels in general ask away! I am Y12, going to 13, having done Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry
Original post by MaizieAmyr
If you can handle it, do it. Imperial and oxford + other unis require it. I have a friend who applied to imperial with predicted grades of 4 x A* but didn't get in because he didn't have FM. However it isn't a requirement for all unis so if you are going to end up with worse grades overall because of taking it there is no point, ygm?

Original post by thotproduct

http://www.ox.ac.uk/sites/files/oxford/UGP%202019%20Courses.pdf

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/prospectus/

Not True. Further maths is liked, and recommended, but not required. It's not even required for mathematics.

Universities do not tend to require it because not every centre can offer it, and they do not discriminate against candidates who did not have an option.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by vicvic38
http://www.ox.ac.uk/sites/files/oxford/UGP%202019%20Courses.pdf

Not True. Further maths is liked, and recommended, but not required. It's not even required for mathematics.

Universities do not tend to require it because not every centre can offer it, and they do not discriminate against candidates who did not have an option.

I did read on imperial’s website that they strongly advise taking A2 FM so that would suggest that it is definitely preferred
http://www.ox.ac.uk/sites/files/oxford/UGP 2019 Courses.pdf

Hence "de facto req" and not "hard requirement". Yes it is true that is not a hard requirement but in the grand scheme of things unless they have an exceptional PS etc they will more often than not take someone with FM over someone who doesn't anyway. hence de facto. The last comment doesn't even apply contextually because why would he ask this question if he didn't have the option to take it (they do take that into account), and FMSP is there for precisely that reason. It doesnt harm you at all but at the end of the day it is the choice of OP, I suggest waiting to see after GCSEs.
(edited 5 years ago)
How are you finding the 4 A-Levels? I'm going into year 12 with the same options as you except computer science instead of chemistry. Do you have much free time? A job? I'm just wondering if I can manage it all :smile:
I did read on imperial’s website that they strongly advise taking A2 FM so that would suggest that it is definitely preferred

Oh, as I said, if you have the option, do. Definitely. It looks great on an application.

HOWEVER.

That is very different to a requirement. Imperial will reject you immediately if you have not done maths. That is a requirement.

They will still consider you if you did not do FM, although it will be harder to get in.
Original post by meekyam37
How are you finding the 4 A-Levels? I'm going into year 12 with the same options as you except computer science instead of chemistry. Do you have much free time? A job? I'm just wondering if I can manage it all :smile:

Well, I did Maths, FM, Physics and Literature, and I found it manageable.

FM and Maths are fairly similar, so it's a bit different to if you were doing entirely different A Levels.
Reply 12
I'm planning on doing CS at uni too (I'm the same year as you) and my understanding is that although Oxbridge/imperial can't require you to do further bc not every state school offers it, they expect you to take it if it's offered. taking it may also help get a better STEP grade if you find you need to take that too. I'm taking maths, further, CS and Spanish.

(from what I've seen, most CS students do physics if they don't want to/can't do further maths)
Well, I did Maths, FM, Physics and Literature, and I found it manageable.

FM and Maths are fairly similar, so it's a bit different to if you were doing entirely different A Levels.

My thinking is much the same. TBH I could have picked other subjects for my 4th A-Level. I didn't really dislike any of my GCSE subjects (besides English lang) so I ended up forgoing history or geography as a 4th as I want a career in computer science or economics and I thought FM might be more relevant than the humanities as well as a slightly lighter workload.
Reply 14
So I want to do computer science at university (I’m I’m y11 atm, 12 in September) and it would be a dream to go somewhere like imperial. From what I’ve read online I need to do further maths A level, I’m just wondering whether that will be too much work or if I can even handle it. My options would then be maths further maths and computer science

Hey! I'll be studying Computing at Imperial College London, so I'll try to help!

My subjects were Maths, Computer Science, Physics, Chemistry, English at A2 with Sociology and Further Maths at AS. My offer conditions were A*AAAA no STEP.

Imperial does not require Further Maths, but they recommend it heavily. In fact, Imperial prefers Further Maths A-Level over Computer Science.
"We strongly [url="http://www.fmnetwork.org.uk/universities.php"]encourage applicants to take Further Maths at A2 level. If your school offers Further Maths, we expect you to take it. If your school does not offer you the chance to take Further Maths, please make sure this is stated in your school reference. We will take this into account and will still welcome your application." - from their [url="https://www.imperial.ac.uk/computing/prospective-students/courses/ug/beng-meng-computing/"]official website.

I would advise you to do at least 4 A Levels, with two of them being Maths and Further Maths. The next preferred A Levels are Physics, Computer Science, Economics, Chemistry, and Biology.

Most of the 2018 cohort has been given an A*AAA or A*A*AA offer with STEP 1 and/or STEP 2. So far I know of only one person with an A*AA offer (he had to sit for STEP though) but I also know students with A*AAAAA offers and A*A*AAA + STEP 1 & 2 & 3 offers. Since the majority of applicants will be predicted A*s in at least 4 subjects, I think it would be disadvantageous to do only 3 A Levels as it would make you a weaker applicant compared to others.

Imperial computing is very competitive. This year there were more than 3000 students applying for about 150 spots. Each applicant has to sit for a mandatory online test and successful applicants are then invited for an interview. Most students at this stage are doing 4/5 A Levels alongside STEP exams, so they are used to a very heavy workload and an intense amount of pressure.

Imperial Computing is notorious for handing out ridiculously harsh offer conditions, rivaling even Oxbridge. But it is manageable. The test and the interviews aren't very intensive, and as long as you show a strong passion for mathematics and problem solving, you'll get through.

Edit: My school did not offer Further Maths A Level when I was in Year 12, but they began teaching the subject the next year. I had to mention this at the interview and state that this was the reason why I was doing Further Maths only until the AS Level.
(edited 5 years ago)
I forgot I made this but I just wanted to come back and say thanks for your advice and that I’ve enrolled to do Maths, Further maths, computer science and economics. I got an 8 in maths and a 7/A in everything else so I’m fairly pleased.

Quick Reply