The Student Room Group

Civil Engineering with no Physics!!

I'm going to Loughborough Uni to study a BEng in Civil Engineering this year, thing is I didn't do physics at A-levels. The only subject of relative importance to the course I did was Maths. My question is how could/should I prepare for the course with my what appears to be a deficit in knowledge? Will I be at a disadvantage? If so, how big a one? Will they close the gap between the students by what they teach in the first semester?
Original post by SporadicNomadic
I'm going to Loughborough Uni to study a BEng in Civil Engineering this year, thing is I didn't do physics at A-levels. The only subject of relative importance to the course I did was Maths. My question is how could/should I prepare for the course with my what appears to be a deficit in knowledge? Will I be at a disadvantage? If so, how big a one? Will they close the gap between the students by what they teach in the first semester?

Have you studied any mechanics before?
Original post by Smack
Have you studied any mechanics before?

Unfortunately not, I did S1 and D1
Unfortunately not, I did S1 and D1

I'd have a go over M1 and maybe M2 if you have the time. That sort of thing is going to be more important than Physics A-level imo. Doing civil you wont need to know things like electromagnetics, particle physics, quantum etc.

I'd concentrate on the more mechanics stuff. Particularly SUVAT, forces, using vectors (this is probably most important), and equilibrium systems.

If you want to have a look at any physics look at stress/strain, youngs modulus, material properties. It's not a massive amount from my experience at A-level, but would be useful to at least know the terms.

I wouldn't stress about it. Most uni courses treat first year as a catch up for everyone as they know people come from different backgrounds. It might just mean that while some people find it very easy, you just have to put a bit more work in and maybe read up a few bits as you go along :smile:
Original post by MattyJMP
I'd have a go over M1 and maybe M2 if you have the time. That sort of thing is going to be more important than Physics A-level imo. Doing civil you wont need to know things like electromagnetics, particle physics, quantum etc.

I'd concentrate on the more mechanics stuff. Particularly SUVAT, forces, using vectors (this is probably most important), and equilibrium systems.

If you want to have a look at any physics look at stress/strain, youngs modulus, material properties. It's not a massive amount from my experience at A-level, but would be useful to at least know the terms.

I wouldn't stress about it. Most uni courses treat first year as a catch up for everyone as they know people come from different backgrounds. It might just mean that while some people find it very easy, you just have to put a bit more work in and maybe read up a few bits as you go along :smile:

Thank you! I will definitely have a look at Mechanics and touch on the physics you said!

May the one who created you and I guide you and reward you.

Im a loughborough civil engineering student. Lots of people don't do physics and me myself didn't do mechanics in maths, don't bother with learning anything beforehand you just don't need to its pretty basic to start with. If you're gonna learn something learn a bit of moments but don't really matter. Don't learn suvat, i haven't even head that word since sixth form, don't use time in civil eng.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest