No (2)
28.57%
Yusuf125
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi,
So basically I am a black belt in TKD and am starting to plateau as my club doesn't go to competitions so I just wait for grading (which can be v boring). I'm thinking about starting a new martial art, I am looking at Muay Thai or BJJ.
Any recommendations?
BKS
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I think the starting point should always be what's local to you, try them, find what is well taught. There's so much **** in all martial arts that finding a good club you can get to will seriously reduce your choices

But if you do have loads of options, what's your criteria? There's no best martial arts and anyone who tells you otherwise is probably just telling you their favourite, it's about what you are looking for

(PS maybe find a TKD club that does compete? I know switching clubs is often more of a thing once you've stuck with your instructor long enough to get to 1st dan but not getting opportunities to compete is weird. I'd be suspicious of any club that doesn't go to any competitions. I say that as an ITF 1st dan who doesn't really like competing all that much)
Yusuf125
Rep:
?
I want to be able to use my fists just as well as I can kick so that’s why I was thinking Muay Thai. I did consider moving clubs but my old instructor wants me there for 4 lessons a week and to have below 10% body fat. I can’t do this because of work. My TKD instructor has only ever been to one comp and absolutely hated it and prefers the poomsee comps.
BKS
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Yusuf125)
I want to be able to use my fists just as well as I can kick so that’s why I was thinking Muay Thai. I did consider moving clubs but my old instructor wants me there for 4 lessons a week and to have below 10% body fat. I can’t do this because of work. My TKD instructor has only ever been to one comp and absolutely hated it and prefers the poomsee comps.
The Mauy Thai club at my gym seems to spend way more time kicking than punching. I think they probably use their hands see than I do doing ITF TKD. But one club obviously isn't a representative sample. Boxing is the obvious one if you want to learn to punch- possible Chinese and kick boxing too. Karate is somewhat similar to TKD but will more consistently use more hands.

Your instructor sounds like an odd one to be polite about it. It sounds like you're experience of TKD has been limited by his odd-ness which is a shame. Like if you're at uni there's a growing student competition scene you're missing out on. Just because you don't punch in sparring doesn't mean you shouldn't be able to use your fists well- you can literally translate TKD as the art/way of the hand/fist and foot. If you could try different clubs then I think you might have quite a different experience.
Yusuf125
Rep:
?
(Original post by BKS)
The Mauy Thai club at my gym seems to spend way more time kicking than punching. I think they probably use their hands see than I do doing ITF TKD. But one club obviously isn't a representative sample. Boxing is the obvious one if you want to learn to punch- possible Chinese and kick boxing too. Karate is somewhat similar to TKD but will more consistently use more hands.

Your instructor sounds like an odd one to be polite about it. It sounds like you're experience of TKD has been limited by his odd-ness which is a shame. Like if you're at uni there's a growing student competition scene you're missing out on. Just because you don't punch in sparring doesn't mean you shouldn't be able to use your fists well- you can literally translate TKD as the art/way of the hand/fist and foot. If you could try different clubs then I think you might have quite a different experience.
My instructor is very much make everything look good and learn to spar as a way to keep everyone happy. I did start going to my old club which is manly focused on sparring and going to comps but I was put off when it came to grading. He basically just gave everyone new belts when I had to go a year between red and black tag, some of the kids didn't deserve green belt and had black tags. The only punches we got to learn were the normal punches that we learn for pomsee. Boxing is a good shout but I want to be able to kick as well otherwise i'll feel like the last 10 years were a waste.
Captain Holt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi,
So basically I am a black belt in TKD and am starting to plateau as my club doesn't go to competitions so I just wait for grading (which can be v boring). I'm thinking about starting a new martial art, I am looking at Muay Thai or BJJ.
Any recommendations?
Boxing and bjj, then take up MMA
BKS
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
He basically just gave everyone new belts when I had to go a year between red and black tag, some of the kids didn't deserve green belt and had black tags.
Sadly that's not too uncommon, it all forms of TKD and any form of martial arts. It's about making money usually, especially kids stay interested when they think they are progressing. Parents like seeing them progress through the belts. Neither the kid or parents know anything about TKD so don't know they are actually rubbish for their grade.

It's not how it should be and it's not how it is everywhere, I've seen kid black belts who are up to a standard that deserves it. But I'd be right out the door of any club like that. And it is hard to find a good club sometimes, I didn't do TKD for years because I couldn't find somewhere worth training at which I could afford.
Guru Jason
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If you already do tkd then maybe bjj would be a good change of pace with ground fighting. See if there are many mma/shootfighing clubs as both wrestling and bjj are great fun.
Yusuf125
Rep:
?
I Am going to do Muay Thai and BJJ. Then move onto MMA.
Muay Thai will teach me how to clinch as well as defending low kicks and punches and BJJ looks fun af.
Cheers guys
Guru Jason
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I Am going to do Muay Thai and BJJ. Then move onto MMA.
Muay Thai will teach me how to clinch as well as defending low kicks and punches and BJJ looks fun af.
Cheers guys
If mma is the end goal, just go straight for it. You can learn a lot of the bjj techniques that don't require wearing a gis. Muay Thai is great for clinch as well as lots of elbows and knees in my experience.
onebro
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Wing Chun.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (73)
30.54%
No (166)
69.46%

Watched Threads