The Student Room Group

Sue Exam board for incorrect results which resulted in missing application deadline

My sisters exam results were messed up by 'Pearsons' exam board, they gave her the incorrect results so she had to send them back and they have still not sent them to her yet. As a result she has missed out on her favourite university AND clearing so now only has 2 options left however she still hasn't received her results so she can't even apply to them either.This messup has been acknowledged by the college and Pearsons are completely to blame for the incorrect results and delay in the correct results.My sister suffers from an autoimmune disease and has undergone chemo whilst studying just to go to her favourite university for all of this to be stripped away on the basis that someone at Pearsons gave her the wrong grade and could not correct it in time. Do you reckon I have grounds to sue the exam board as this has had a massive affect on her wellbeing, has made her go under extreme stress and is not able to go to her chosen university, ALL because someone at Pearson's was incompetent?Thanks
Well, did she tell her first choice university what was going on?
Original post by collegekid94
My sisters exam results were messed up by 'Pearsons' exam board, they gave her the incorrect results so she had to send them back and they have still not sent them to her yet. As a result she has missed out on her favourite university AND clearing so now only has 2 options left however she still hasn't received her results so she can't even apply to them either.This messup has been acknowledged by the college and Pearsons are completely to blame for the incorrect results and delay in the correct results.My sister suffers from an autoimmune disease and has undergone chemo whilst studying just to go to her favourite university for all of this to be stripped away on the basis that someone at Pearsons gave her the wrong grade and could not correct it in time. Do you reckon I have grounds to sue the exam board as this has had a massive affect on her wellbeing, has made her go under extreme stress and is not able to go to her chosen university, ALL because someone at Pearson's was incompetent?Thanks

She has until August 31st to get her results to the uni doesn't she? Did she contact her unis at all?
Original post by Muttley79
She has until August 31st to get her results to the uni doesn't she? Did she contact her unis at all?

The university has already told her that all places for the course are full and there isn't any chance at going through clearing unfortunately.
Reply 4
Have you called up the uni and explained the situation? If they can't give a place this year then perhaps they can offer deferred entry.

I'm not legally trained but you should look up the terms and conditions of the exam board. They probably have some point where it states that by taking the exam you accept that if they do make a mistake, they are not liable.

Before you start litigation it's best to consider all the options, get evidence (written letter admitting the error) from the college/exam board and present it to the uni etc
The university has already told her that all places for the course are full and there isn't any chance at going through clearing unfortunately.

Did she explain the situation to them properly? Surely this is like getting a remark where the uni has some obligation to hold the place open while the situation is fixed?

UCAS really frown on unis not giving students a chance to get their remarks in- they will usually put pressure on the university to hold the place until 31st August. In this case, as it's a known mistake, this is pretty poor of the university.

I would suggest she contacts UCAS, and asks if they can offer her any help.
When you say she was given an 'wrong grade', do you mean you applied for a remark? If you do, then there's no guarantee the mark will even change. Remarks are also a fairly standard affair, and if you contact the university they are obliged to hold your place, but you need to apply for a priority remark.

As others have said contact UCAS if she has met the terms of her offer..
How do you know the grade was wrong ?

Quick Reply

Latest