What do I do with a third class degree? Watch

DissolvedSafely
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
So I just graduated with a third class degree in Actuarial Science from Loughborough, but I have no idea where to go from here. To be honest, I was out of my depth in my final year and it was all too much, 2nd year was fine but 3rd year bombed hard and here I am.

What am I supposed to do now, I'm genuinely lost with absolutely no sense of direction. I just don't know what comes next. I clearly can't get into a graduate scheme so that's that.

Is this the end for me, do I just deal with the debt I got myself into and work at the local grocery store or something. I have no idea what to do.
Ol94
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
isnt the answer going into actuary
username2911200
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Ol94)
isnt the answer going into actuary
That's going to be very hard considering the amount of people who will be applying with first and second class degrees when this person has a third.
Matheos Crs
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Maybe try and get into a masters degree on something relevant? Then your 3rd class degree won’t matter too much when you’ll have a masters degree to show for it.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Plymouth College Of Art
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hey there!

You definitely have some options left out there. Definitely, don't give up, make sure you're doing what makes you happy!

Have you thought about applying to some related jobs that don't necessarily a degree in, as that way you could work your way up through the company?
Have you considered an apprenticeship in Actuarial Science?
Have you looked on indeed.com for jobs in Actuarial Science or related disciplines?
Have you considered completing a teaching qualification, to go on to teach Actuarial Science?

I hope this gives you some more options that you hadn't yet considered!
Harriet
First Year Photography Student and Student Ambassador at Plymouth College of Art
CTLeafez
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Matheos Crs)
Maybe try and get into a masters degree on something relevant? Then your 3rd class degree won’t matter too much when you’ll have a masters degree to show for it.
I could be wrong but even the lowest ranking Unis require atleast a 2:2 to progress onto a Masters.

The OP said them-self that 3rd year (Level 6) took them out their depth, recommending they apply onto a Level 7 course isn't really the best advice. :P They'd most likely be even more out their depth and scrap a pass or outright fail.
Matheos Crs
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Plymouth College Of Art)
Hey there!

You definitely have some options left out there. Definitely, don't give up, make sure you're doing what makes you happy!

Have you thought about applying to some related jobs that don't necessarily a degree in, as that way you could work your way up through the company?
Have you considered an apprenticeship in Actuarial Science?
Have you looked on indeed.com for jobs in Actuarial Science or related disciplines?
Have you considered completing a teaching qualification, to go on to teach Actuarial Science?

I hope this gives you some more options that you hadn't yet considered!
Harriet
First Year Photography Student and Student Ambassador at Plymouth College of Art
Is a photography student an actual thing? 🙄
Matheos Crs
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by CTLeafez)
I could be wrong but even the lowest ranking Unis require atleast a 2:2 to progress onto a Masters.

The OP said them-self that 3rd year (Level 6) took them out their depth, recommending they apply onto a Level 7 course isn't really the best advice. :P They'd most likely be even more out their depth and scrap a pass or outright fail.
Well a third class degree is a 2:2 so he’d be alright?
CTLeafez
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I don't think you quite understand the Uni grades system in the UK.

1st - 70% aka '1st class honours'
2:1 - 60% aka 'upper second class honours'
2:2 - 50% aka 'lower second class honours'
3rd - 40% aka 'third class honours'
Fail - <40% aka 'you done fudged up'

A 2:2 is the grade above a 3rd my friend
username2911200
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Where on earth have you got that from? That's not true at all. Degree classes are first, 2:1 (upper second class), 2:2 (lower second class) and third.
Duncan2012
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by DissolvedSafely)
So I just graduated with a third class degree in Actuarial Science from Loughborough, but I have no idea where to go from here. To be honest, I was out of my depth in my final year and it was all too much, 2nd year was fine but 3rd year bombed hard and here I am.

What am I supposed to do now, I'm genuinely lost with absolutely no sense of direction. I just don't know what comes next. I clearly can't get into a graduate scheme so that's that.

Is this the end for me, do I just deal with the debt I got myself into and work at the local grocery store or something. I have no idea what to do.
Do you want to work in something actuarial?
Are you interested in other areas?
Go speak to the uni's career service (they help recent grads)
Consider things like the armed forces if minimum wage jobs don't seem appealing at the moment.
Matheos Crs
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by CTLeafez)
I don't think you quite understand the Uni grades system in the UK.

1st - 70% aka '1st class honours'
2:1 - 60% aka 'upper second class honours'
2:2 - 50% aka 'lower second class honours'
3rd - 40% aka 'third class honours'
Fail - <40% aka 'you done fudged up'

A 2:2 is the grade above a 3rd my friend
Ah okay my bad... in that case the OP should just go into a lower-paying job within his field and work his way up from there. Experience is key, it’s not all about the degree classification! But yes, now you’ve pointed out that a third class degree is just a pass but below 50% then yes, it’s quite **** and you probably won’t be able to carry onto a masters degree knowing you won’t be able to keep up. A trainee job somewhere would be the absolute best, even if it’s minimum wage! Need to start from somewhere!
Loughborough University
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by DissolvedSafely)

Hi DissolvedSafely,

As someone else in the thread mentioned, I would suggest going to the Careers service, as they offer help for graduates and they may be able to give you suggestions that you might not have thought about yet. They have an online service that you can register for, that also may be of help.

What I will say is that it definitely isn't the end of the world to have achieved a third, you still have a degree. Employers often want more than just academic qualifications anyway, they're likely to look at your experience and you as a person - how you'll fit in with the work environment.

Priya
s817
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I don't think employers are going to ask you what class your degree is but you could always do a masters degree part time. Also people with a first class degree find it difficult to get a job so don't worry.
Matheos Crs
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by s817)
I don't think employers are going to ask you what class your degree is but you could always do a masters degree part time. Also people with a first class degree find it difficult to get a job so don't worry.
Saying to someone that got a 3rd class degree that even if he/she had gotten a 1st you probably wouldn’t find a job either doesn’t convey lots of confidence. The OP would feel worse because if it’s hard to get a job with a 1st then he’s doomed with a 3rd. I think the OP will be alright, just need to get into an entry level job and work his way up!
La Mallorquina
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Probably not the most helpful answer but perhaps working in another country is an option? A British degree is valued highly in many parts of the world
La Mallorquina
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by s817)
Most employers will ask you what grade you achieved in your degree
lzyby23
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Is a photography student an actual thing? 🙄
don't be a jerk
Matheos Crs
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by lzyby23)
don't be a jerk
But it’s a valid question
lzyby23
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
But it’s a valid question
a question you already know the answer to, which you have asked rhetorically and sarcastically, is not a valid question
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (49)
24.62%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (64)
32.16%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (37)
18.59%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (17)
8.54%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (32)
16.08%

Watched Threads