The Student Room Group

Where to apply for medicine with UKCAT 2490?

Hi guys!

So, I did my UKCAT and I got a pretty low score of 2490 ( average : 622) and SJT band 2.

I have 9 A*, 2 A and 1 B in GCSEs.
I'm predicted to get A*A*AA in A levels as I take Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Economics.
I have done work experience in hospitals and been volunteering for 2 months in a school as a teacher.

I want to apply to Imperial, Bristol, Liverpool and am still trying to decide which last university I should apply for... Any advice on which uni I could go for with my UKCAT score and other grades?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lsming
Hi guys!

So, I did my UKCAT and I got a pretty low score of 2490 ( average : 622) and SJT band 2.

I'm predicted to get A*A*AA in A levels as I take Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Economics.
I have done work experience in hospitals and been volunteering for 2 months in a school as a teacher.

I want to apply to Imperial, Bristol, Liverpool and am still trying to decide which last university I should apply for... Any advice on which uni I could go for with my UKCAT score and other grades?

Birmingham? When choosing applicants academia weighs 70% in contrast to the UKCAT which is 30%.
Original post by Lsming
Hi guys!

Also could I ask what resources you used for the UKCAT and how you found each section, mine is 9 days x
Reply 3
Original post by lmaooome
Birmingham? When choosing applicants academia weighs 70% in contrast to the UKCAT which is 30%.

Yea I though about Birmingham but apparently this year they are looking more on UKCAT and many are saying that they want around 670 above so i'm not sure if it'll be risky if I were to apply there....

I was thinking about Nottingham, St George's or Aberdeen.... Any advice?
Reply 4
Also could I ask what resources you used for the UKCAT and how you found each section, mine is 9 days x

yea sure.. I used medify, ISC 1250 question book, medic portal and the official UKCAT practice tests.

I found VR,QR and AR around the same as when I did them during my practice sessions but I thought DR was more difficult that I had anticipated.

May I know what resources you have been using to practice? and GOOD LUCK IN YOUR UKCAT!! :smile:
@Lsming
No for bristol and liverpool due to bristol using ukcat cut offs now for 2019 entry and it defo Will be higher than yours unfortunately.And liverpool cut off is usually bit higher than 620.
(2017 643 2018 620 something)

100% apply to cardiff you get a guaranteed interview. Youll get 27 points/27. a*=3 points. 9 best gcse.
100% apply to plymouth their ukcat cut off was 600 2018entry and they estimate for 2019 its 588.
Reply 6
Original post by bobwibbles
@Lsming
No for bristol and liverpool due to bristol using ukcat cut offs now for 2019 entry and it defo Will be higher than yours unfortunately.And liverpool cut off is usually bit higher than 620.
(2017 643 2018 620 something)

100% apply to cardiff you get a guaranteed interview. Youll get 27 points/27. a*=3 points. 9 best gcse.
100% apply to plymouth their ukcat cut off was 600 2018entry and they estimate for 2019 its 588.

oh no... I really want to apply to Bristol because the UKCAT only considered 20% of the application.

Yea I looked at plymouth but didn't really like the place and the school.
Whereas for cardiff, I want to apply for an integrated course rather than CBL or PBL course.

Any other suggestions? :smile:
What about Nottingham and Aberdeen?
What someone above said. Don't apply to Liverpool. To be competitive you needed over 625 last year(you have 622.5).
https://www.themedicportal.com/apply-600-660-ukcat-score-2018-entry/

https://www.themedicportal.com/where-to-apply-with-a-low-ukcat-score-2018-entry/

Apply to unis in the above two links with your UKCAT. However read more what they require (They mention Liverpool in the first link-but only if you're above 630).
Also note this was last years advice so how some unis use the UKCAT may vary but should be roughly the same
Original post by Lsming
yea sure.. I used medify, ISC 1250 question book, medic portal and the official UKCAT practice tests.

I found VR,QR and AR around the same as when I did them during my practice sessions but I thought DR was more difficult that I had anticipated.

May I know what resources you have been using to practice? and GOOD LUCK IN YOUR UKCAT!! :smile:

Omg thank you so much. I’m literally using the same resources but medic portal I found to be way way too easy so I don’t really use it as much. I’m planning on just doing a mock every day and then focusing on the sections I’m failing at after each mock.

Wow really? How much more difficult? I used to love doing DM practise but I did a mock today and it was my worst section so hopefully I can increase my score before the day :frown:
Reply 9
Original post by AzureCeleste
What someone above said. Don't apply to Liverpool. To be competitive you needed over 625 last year(you have 622.5).
https://www.themedicportal.com/apply-600-660-ukcat-score-2018-entry/

https://www.themedicportal.com/where-to-apply-with-a-low-ukcat-score-2018-entry/

Apply to unis in the above two links with your UKCAT. However read more what they require (They mention Liverpool in the first link-but only if you're above 630).
Also note this was last years advice so how some unis use the UKCAT may vary but should be roughly the same

Alright, thanks a lot :smile:
Reply 10
Omg thank you so much. I’m literally using the same resources but medic portal I found to be way way too easy so I don’t really use it as much. I’m planning on just doing a mock every day and then focusing on the sections I’m failing at after each mock.

Wow really? How much more difficult? I used to love doing DM practise but I did a mock today and it was my worst section so hopefully I can increase my score before the day :frown:

Yea sadly I found out that medic portal was easier than the actual test a bit too late.... well I wouldn't say much more difficult but more complicating cases that requires more time to think about but it depends on the individual taking the test.
Yea, honestly just practice but make sure you get some sleepp and have a bit of fun too :smile:
Original post by Lsming
Yea sadly I found out that medic portal was easier than the actual test a bit too late.... well I wouldn't say much more difficult but more complicating cases that requires more time to think about but it depends on the individual taking the test.
Yea, honestly just practice but make sure you get some sleepp and have a bit of fun too :smile:

I’ve had too much fun this holiday, so these next few days I’ll have no social life whatsoever. Thanks for the heads up though x
Good luck and I hope you get into the unis you want to :smile:
Original post by Lsming
oh no... I really want to apply to Bristol because the UKCAT only considered 20% of the application.

Yea I looked at plymouth but didn't really like the place and the school.
Whereas for cardiff, I want to apply for an integrated course rather than CBL or PBL course.

Any other suggestions? :smile:
What about Nottingham and Aberdeen?

You can try notts? And Leicester. Aberdeen im not sure how they select.
Daughter had an offer for Bristol this year with 620 avg band 2 . Gap year student
Reply 14
Original post by bobwibbles
You can try notts? And Leicester. Aberdeen im not sure how they select.

Yea I'm looking more towards nott because based on their scoring system, I can get 44/56 points with my grades and UKCAT. Their course looks pretty good too. :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by Popeye_ukuk
Daughter had an offer for Bristol this year with 620 avg band 2 . Gap year student

Wow Congratz to her!!

May I know what her A level's and GCSEs were?
Original post by Popeye_ukuk

Bristol are using ukcat much more heavily now. With a cut off. So be careful OP.
Original post by Lsming
Hi guys!

Bristol, Keele and UEA could be possible options.
Reply 18
Original post by HateOCR
Bristol, Keele and UEA could be possible options.

Thanks for the advice.. I am applying as an international applicant so I would need BMAT for Keele's and I'm already applying to Imperial
Original post by Lsming
Thanks for the advice.. I am applying as an international applicant so I would need BMAT for Keele's and I'm already applying to Imperial

fair enough. I'd recommend you still do the BMAT to increase your options.

Quick Reply

Latest