The Student Room Group

Need help with this question!

I've been stuck on this question for my summer transition work into a level maths for a few days and I've tried to solve it, gone through revision books and I've got to the point of overcomplicating it! If anyone can solve it (with steps) or recommend a website that can I'd appreciate it a lot

X^2 +y^2 =16
Y=3x-1
Reply 1
Try the website wolfram alpha, it helped me a lot during a levels. If you haven't tried already substitute y=3x-1 into the first equation to get x^2+(3x-1)^2=16
Reply 2
OK thanks soooooo much
Original post by denyagoss
OK thanks soooooo much

You should have covered this at GCSE ...
Reply 4
Yh I did but I've not done maths since my last exam and I've forgotten some of it, the website has a problem with its server so I recognised the equations as ones for a circle and a straight line that I'd need to plot on a graph, my results gave me decimals however my answer has to be in the form of a+b*root*c so I'm still stuck
Reply 5
Original post by Muttley79
You should have covered this at GCSE ...

So yh it's not that I'm not capable of doing maths it's just that I'm stuck in this particular question
Original post by denyagoss
So yh it's not that I'm not capable of doing maths it's just that I'm stuck in this particular question

This is a standard simultaneous equation question - one quadratic, one linear. I'd suggest you look at more like this to ensure you are confident.
Reply 7
Original post by Muttley79
This is a standard simultaneous equation question - one quadratic, one linear. I'd suggest you look at more like this to ensure you are confident.

Yh I'm trying to do some summer revision also to get back up to a good standard
Reply 8
Original post by Tilly M
Try the website wolfram alpha, it helped me a lot during a levels. If you haven't tried already substitute y=3x-1 into the first equation to get x^2+(3x-1)^2=16

If you are still struggling, square out the bracket, from what I said before,
(3x-1)^2 to get 9x^2-6x+1 and then collect like terms to get a final quadratic
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 9
Yh Ive done that and then I'm still a bit clueless as to how to get it into the a+b*root*c format
Reply 10
After squaring (3x-1), did you simplify?

If you did, what kind of equation do you obtain and how do you find solutions to that type of equation?

Spoiler

Reply 11
So would you suggest using the quadratic formula?
I'd solve the quadratic equation by completing the square...
Reply 13
Both the quadratic formula and completing the square will result in the same answer.

Quick Reply

Latest