The Student Room Group

In your opinion, do star signs mean anything?

Scroll to see replies

Deep down, I know it's total rubbish, but it's a bit of fun to believe in.
No they don't

just another money making scheme to fool the naive into thinking their life may improve some day if they follow the stars
Other than recognising that your sign is a snapshot of what the heavens were like when you entered the world, there’s nothing much interesting about them. The personality traits associated with them are bullshíte, they’ve been off with mine so many times.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Joe2001
Over the summer, I've been a bit bored, so I had a look and researched a bit about star signs.

I can't say that I necessarily believe in them, but I do find the concept fascinating.

I'm a Sagittarius, and do fit the stereotypical attributes (not 100% but quite a few of them).

My most compatible signs are Aries, Leo, Aquarius and Libra.
My least compatibles signs are Virgo and Pisces (which I can never pronounce right).

I can't help but think there is something not right about automatically writing off someone who is Virgo/Pisces, or in the same way, favor a Aries/Leo/Aquarius/Libra, especially given that my school nemesis' sign is Leo.

Do you think they mean anything? Like I said, I find it fascinating, but not really convinced that there is any strong meaning in them. Further more, have you ever dated someone with an incompatible star sign?

I believe in them to an extent but too much, I do find them interesting :smile:
I find South Indian astrology and horoscopes to be interesting. This website called ClickAstro is personalised to you and scarily accurate xD
I do to an extent. I personally do believe that people's personalities are formed based on the time of year they're born, it's just through trait patterns I see. It's of course not a phenomenon proven by science, but then we're only human, our knowledge has limits and it's extremely arrogant to think that there aren't things going in the universe on that we'll never know about. That said, I don't for one second believe that we can tell our futures in any way, shape or form - this is the other side of the "our knowledge has limits" coin and I don't believe humans have psychic abilities. Any seemingly incredible psychic feat has been figured out and proven to be a scam.
If you believe in star signs, why not try the following experiment:

Get newspaper from yesterday, and give it to your friend. Ask them to turn to the horoscope section, and to read out each horoscope, but without telling you which star sign it belongs to. Rank each horoscope from 1 to 12, in order of how accurately you think they predicted how your day would turn out. Now ask your friend to reveal which horoscope is yours, and see how highly it ranked.

If they’re real, then presumably your horoscope should appear near the top of the rankings. See if that really is the case. Perhaps try doing this a few times and seeing if it’s consistently the case.
Original post by Joe2001
Has anyone ever dated someone of an incompatible sign? (e.g. Pisces/Sagittarius or Libra/Capricorn).

Well as a Sagittarius I’ve been married to a Virgo for nearly 30 years and for two incompatible people we do remarkably well!!!
not at all.

in fact, I wouldn't date someone who believed in star signs
Original post by Wooord
I don’t believe them, but I find them really interesting as well. And always reference star signs just for the fun of it like, “we can be friends unless you’re a Leo” lol. plus I have a weekly zodiac sign calendar app which tells me what I should expect this week and I always read them. I’m Gemini btw:biggrin:

I'm Aquarius, Leo ascending... ooh dear.
Reply 30
No.
i don't believe in horoscope but guess what yesterday I read my horoscope for results day and was even stressed out
imo they are innacurate. however they are interesting. sometimes you fit your star sign but i think it's a coincidence. im not really the type of person believes in this type of thing.

Quick Reply

Latest