The Student Room Group

How can a Computer Science student make money online while studying?

Can Computer Science students make good money online/offline while they’re still studying?
Original post by Byun.B
Can Computer Science students make good money online/offline while they’re still studying?

I'm a Computer Science student and I intend to do maths tutoring when I start :smile:
Depends on your skills.
You could:
Get a normal part time job
Tutor
Make websites and sell them
Reply 3
Internships over the summer are well-paid and help with networking, I would definitely recommend, especially for CompScis.

Apart from that you could try web-design or as already stated, tutoring.

I wouldn't look at anything online however. I'd instantly think that's a bit dodgy, especially if it involves crypto or any other 'buzz topics' that you should 'invest in right now!'
Reply 4
Original post by Kevin De Bruyne
I'm a Computer Science student and I intend to do maths tutoring when I start :smile:

That’s awesome. If you don’t mind me asking, How do you find people to tutor?
Reply 5
Original post by niteninja1
Depends on your skills.
You could:
Get a normal part time job
Tutor
Make websites and sell them

I will have a part time job! Maybe like 20 hours per week but I was wondering if I can do anything else as a comp sci student cause I’m gonna be learning + I already have some knowledge in that area! Thanks for your suggestions!
Reply 6
Original post by Iju
Internships over the summer are well-paid and help with networking, I would definitely recommend, especially for CompScis.

Apart from that you could try web-design or as already stated, tutoring.

I wouldn't look at anything online however. I'd instantly think that's a bit dodgy, especially if it involves crypto or any other 'buzz topics' that you should 'invest in right now!'

Oh I see! I’m gonna look into web design and tutoring! I’m definitely gonna apply for summer internships... hopefully will get one! Thank you for the advice!
Original post by Byun.B
That’s awesome. If you don’t mind me asking, How do you find people to tutor?

Well, I've been lucky to have family friends that wanted tutoring and I was available for a relatively cheap rate (mostly for the experience). When I start CompSci I'll probably post on websites somewhere.
Original post by Byun.B

freelance dev work
build some new product and hope it gets big
tutoring
blogging
vlogging
etc

also internships at good companies pay pretty well

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Hey guy im starting bsc in cpu science next year, however i have no previous knowledge of the course, as i studied maths, chem and bio at a levels.

Anything i can do before my course starts as i feel very nervous.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Kevin De Bruyne
Well, I've been lucky to have family friends that wanted tutoring and I was available for a relatively cheap rate (mostly for the experience). When I start CompSci I'll probably post on websites somewhere.

Oh that’s really good! Good luck to us! Hahahah
Reply 11
Original post by Princepieman
freelance dev work
build some new product and hope it gets big
tutoring
blogging
vlogging
etc

also internships at good companies pay pretty well

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for your suggestions. um but I don’t understand the blogging and blogging thing?
Reply 12
Original post by John mck
Hey guy im starting bsc in cpu science next year, however i have no previous knowledge of the course, as i studied maths, chem and bio at a levels.

Anything i can do before my course starts as i feel very nervous.

Hi there!!!! Same here!! I didn’t do computer science or any IT related subject for my Pre-uni exams! But don’t worry.... everyone will be on the same boat as us and we’ll learn as we go!! Good Luck!!
Original post by Byun.B
Thanks for your suggestions. um but I don’t understand the blogging and blogging thing?

blog/vlog about life, CS, uni etc. generate some ad revenue from the eager beavers of the next generation learning about what uni might be like.

or even blog about interesting technical news, maybe write a guide on medium etc
Reply 14
Original post by Princepieman
blog/vlog about life, CS, uni etc. generate some ad revenue from the eager beavers of the next generation learning about what uni might be like.

or even blog about interesting technical news, maybe write a guide on medium etc

Oh I see! Thanks a lot!

Quick Reply