cate3110
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi,

Hope I'm not duplicating. I could see threads for previous rounds of applications, but nothing for the ones being currently advertised. Has anyone applied for the recent ones where the deadlines are either today (EO) or next week (HO) in Croydon?

raelwaysiding
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I've applied for the EO in Newcastle. I'm also on the reserve list for the HEO job advertised earlier this year, but as I'm probably near the bottom of the reserve list I'm not too hopeful about that one.I have heard (or read on here somewhere) that HMRC are taking on all these extra compliance caseworkers partly because of Brexit looming. I guess they wouldn't advertise for more if they didn't think they were going to need them!
raelwaysiding
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Also - was interested to see that they've advertised for more HO posts in Croydon - they haven't elsewhere. Was really hoping there would be a similar advert in Newcastle as that would indicate they anticipate using up the reserve list from the last campaign!
LC2356
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi, i havent applied for this round but i am cureently waiting on emplyment checks after a provisional offer for eo job in customer complaince in newcastle. I interviewd back in February last year so been a long process!!
My reserve list was due to end in september and anyone left on the list would basically be deleted and would have to apply again. so i aasume theyve been doing more recruitment so they always have people ready to fill spaces.
Although it does concern me a little that they are constantly recruiting does that mean they have a high turn over of staff and people dont like/cant do it??
The eo/heo jobs seems to be the same thing (only based on what ive read on old threads ive never applied for a heo role) but one pays more wonder if anyone knows the difference between the 2 roles?
LC2356
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yeah ive been waiting a long time and still not got to a formal offer!
I already work in a different agency So already a civil servant but an AO so this is a step up and i could understand in other areas of the country that they needed to replace staff after closures but not at newcastle as they are already based at the hub so no closures. Maybe just a lot of work or people move around a lot it seems like a huge department with all the different areas and teams.

My opinion is that you dont have anything to worry about with those scores. They are really good and i would be surprised if you didnt get through to them looking at your competencys
It is certainly a unique recruitment process and its not very quick either!!
mariomario
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I’m on the HEO reserve list in Cardiff but my scores were not great so I went for the latest EO one and while I haven’t had an email yet I checked my account and there is an invite to interview so it might be worth checking your accounts
cate3110
Rep:
?
Thanks for the tip. Just checked mine too and been invited to interview. Bit surprised as the closing date was originally last Monday but had been extended to 1st September, so didn’t think they would start sending out invites for interviews until after then.
mariomario
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by cate3110)
Thanks for the tip. Just checked mine too and been invited to interview. Bit surprised as the closing date was originally last Monday but had been extended to 1st September, so didn’t think they would start sending out invites for interviews until after then.
Where are you applying for? Hopefully it means that they are keen to get people in quickly
cate3110
Rep:
?
(Original post by mariomario)
Where are you applying for? Hopefully it means that they are keen to get people in quickly
I’m applying for Croydon. Yeah fingers crossed. Have you booked a slot yet?
mariomario
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by cate3110)
I’m applying for Croydon. Yeah fingers crossed. Have you booked a slot yet?
Yeah I did it straight away for first thing in the morning. I just like to get these things over with 😂
raelwaysiding
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Just had an interview invite for Newcastle
raelwaysiding
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Sammrk)
Congratulations when is your interview? I have mine next week. I was just wondering as you have previously had an interview with hmrc are the questions very specific or more vague? I understand what the competency’s are but I cannot think on the spot so I am preparing my answers based on the effective behaviours for those competency’s
Hi - I'd say the questions are specific, but in my opinion your answers do not have to be, if that makes sense. What they want is for you to demonstrate a way in which you've met the competency, and the question is just a way in to that. So, even if you're not sure if your example exactly matches the question, just start talking and evidencing what you've done. Maybe you won't get top scores, but if you've demonstrated the competency they would surely have to acknowledge that. Mind you, this is just the opinion of someone who's done only 3 civil service competency interviews - but I have at least been successful at all three (even if i didn't get top scores)!
dsm417
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
That does make sense and is very helpful thanks. It’s sort of what I thought if I picked examples based around the compentency/effective behaviours which is what they are looking for how can I go wrong 😆. Even if the questions are far off I will stick to what I have prepared. You have done well to be successful at all 3 interviews!! I don’t want top scores I just want to get through the interview In one piece as I haven’t had an interview in over 6 years. I heard over 500 people are being interviewed
Good luck with it! I've got an interview in a couple of weeks time and in a similar position to you where I've not had a proper interview in years! Reading back through some threads, in the past people have been asked for an example of when they've worked outside of their usual team, and iirc another of when they've used policies to help make a decision, though the second one seems to fit the AA/AO framework rather than EO competencies to me so could have misread that.

Definitely didn't look anywhere close to 500 available slots for interviews when I booked mine at Newcastle, but don't know if they have released further slots.
raelwaysiding
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi, just checking are the questions all competency based looking for your examples or have you found they ask...’what would you do in this situation’ etc scenario based questions?
I've not had any like that - I think for some CS jobs they do do this, but as far as I'm aware they tell you beforehand.
dsm417
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yeah that was my thinking too re the number of interviews, fingers crossed!

Is yours this week or next?I do think I would struggle with a question around following policy but going to have a good think about, but like you say as long as you hit the competencies sounds like it won't be a disaster, I like the idea of a Dungeons and Dragons answer though!

Do you know whether to go into the Longbenton entrance or the one down towards High Heaton btw? Sat Nav takes you to the Heaton one but heard a few people say the sat nav takes you to the wrong one.
pma06dw
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It’s usually the Longbenton entrance for interviews. That’s where mine was last April anyway and the same for another a few years ago when I worked there
dsm417
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thank you.
cate3110
Rep:
?
I also had my interview today as well - similar experience as you, everyone was really nice and although they say the interview can last up to an hour, I was only in the interview for around 30 minutes and they asked a few questions on the different competencies and then would sometimes go back to certain areas and ask more specific questions in order to get as much from you.
username4248862
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
congrats and good luck to everyone that has had their interviews so far!

Out of interest what scores did people get in their verbal/numerical/judgement tests? ☺️
username4248862
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi, are you applying for this role and have you had your interview?
I got 97% Numerical, 99% verbal reasoning & 80% the sjt was the hardest as essentially you are second guessing what you think they want to hear. How did you do?
I applied 2 weeks ago but am currently on hold after the judgement test. I got 96 numerical, 63 verbal and 84 judgement. I’m a bit gutted about my verbal score to be honest. Not feeling too optimistic
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (143)
18.94%
Labour (322)
42.65%
Liberal Democrats (153)
20.26%
Green Party (41)
5.43%
Brexit Party (21)
2.78%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (2)
0.26%
SNP (9)
1.19%
Plaid Cymru (6)
0.79%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (1)
0.13%
Sinn Fein (1)
0.13%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (1)