The Student Room Group

my gp referred to cahms

i havent heard from them. how does it work? to be honest i wouldnt care if they didnt get in touch with me because nothing they say will change the way i feel.
They’ll probably send you a letter soon to say if you meet their criteria and if you do they’ll offer you an initial assessment. My initial assessment was about 2 months after being referred but this can hugely depend on where you live and why you were referred. The initial assessment is about an hour and a half long and you explain how you’re feeling and you may be asked what your family set up is like and if there is any mental illness in your wider family. After the initial assessment they will decide what treatment is best for you; this may involve seeing a psychiatrist to get medication, group therapy and/or 1:1 therapy with a counsellor. I will warn you this may take a long time (mine took at least 5 months from the initial assessment to start therapy) and they do promise a lot of things that don’t actually happen. They also aren’t very good at keeping in touch with you. However, this is just my experience of camhs and it really does depend on where you live as each camhs is different.
Please go in with an open mind and don’t lose hope. It might be worth talking to someone else in the meantime, maybe a friend, parent or teacher just so you don’t feel alone

Quick Reply

Latest