The Student Room Group

I'm trying to be healthy but my Mum won't let me?

So basically I'm 16 and have gained over a stone in the past 6 months due to lots of stress. I'm starting to exercise more and trying to eat healthier now, but the only problem is my Mum.

She was the person who told me I need to lose weight and has put me on a "diet".
I have chocolate waffles for breakfast, white bread and cheese for lunch and whatever that day's family meal is for dinner, which is sometimes pizza and junk food. No snacks in between.

All in all, I end up eating around only 1,100 calories and am filling my body with more rubbish than before, especially being lactose intolerant, and she refuses to buy me fruit and salads because "they're full of sugar" / "you'll eat it all in one go and then you'll just get fatter".

Help please???
Can you not just explain to your mum about eating healthier, everyone would benefit from having a healthier diet.
She's probably just used to making and buying rubbish sort of foods, but try having a talk with her and let her understand your situation.
Sugar also doesn't exactly make you fatter, fat makes you fatter so if you eat fatty foods then that will add onto you, however sugar can just give you spots and stuff hahaha also you should maybe go to a gym but if you're very concentrated on losing weight then you will have to diet properly as well.
Take your mum to dietician.
That's really frustrating by the sound of things. If I had to hazard a guess, she's probably just severely uneducated on the topic of nutrition. Try explaining the schematics of the metabolism and human body, so she can understand the real nutritional value of certain foods.
Reply 4
If you cant fix the food then go to the gym
Reply 5
Original post by looneymcluna
So basically I'm 16 and have gained over a stone in the past 6 months due to lots of stress. I'm starting to exercise more and trying to eat healthier now, but the only problem is my Mum.

She was the person who told me I need to lose weight and has put me on a "diet".
I have chocolate waffles for breakfast, white bread and cheese for lunch and whatever that day's family meal is for dinner, which is sometimes pizza and junk food. No snacks in between.

All in all, I end up eating around only 1,100 calories and am filling my body with more rubbish than before, especially being lactose intolerant, and she refuses to buy me fruit and salads because "they're full of sugar" / "you'll eat it all in one go and then you'll just get fatter".

Help please???

If this post is not a troll then I would advise booking an appointment with your GP, get him/her to explain what a healthy diet is to your mum. Also, you should be exercising as well as being on a diet and try to eliminate any drinks other than water.

Quick Reply

Latest