My AS grade was an A but my A2 grade was a B - so what is my overall grade?

Watch
Ollie7258
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hey, last year I did my AS level in creative writing and film studies and I got two As.

This year I did my A2 level in creative writing and film studies and I got two Bs.

So I was just wondering, were the Bs on the my A2 result paper the AS and A2 results combined? or were they just the A2 results? - and if not, what would an A and B combine to for my overall grades?
Laya_
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Are they linear courses? Or the old A-levels
Ollie7258
Rep:
?
(Original post by Laya_)
Are they linear courses? Or the old A-levels
linear, for both A2 and AS, we had to do one unit of coursework and one exam at the end of the year.
Laya_
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yeah for linear courses your AS year doesn’t count, it’s only the final A2 year. For example, I did A-level Sociology. It didn’t matter what grade I got at AS, because the final exams were taken at A2. Therefore your A2 is your overall grade. With the old A-levels, your AS year was worth 50% of your overall grade but it isn’t like that anymore. AS is basically worth 0%
Ollie7258
Rep:
?
(Original post by Laya_)
Yeah for linear courses your AS year doesn’t count, it’s only the final A2 year. For example, I did A-level Sociology. It didn’t matter what grade I got at AS, because the final exams were taken at A2. Therefore your A2 is your overall grade. With the old A-levels, your AS year was worth 50% of your overall grade but it isn’t like that anymore. AS is basically worth 0%
When did this start?
Laya_
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
2017 for Sociology I think. It’s different for different courses. Like for my Government and Politics my AS counted 50% as did my A2 50%. But from September onwards it’s a full linear course, exams only at A2, basically worth 100%. These are the A-level reforms now
The RAR
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Ollie7258)
When did this start?
Just last year and you can thank Micheal Gove for it
Ollie7258
Rep:
?
(Original post by Laya_)
2017 for Sociology I think. It’s different for different courses. Like for my Government and Politics my AS counted 50% as did my A2 50%. But from September onwards it’s a full linear course, exams only at A2, basically worth 100%. These are the A-level reforms now
So my AS levels may still count toward my final grade?
Laya_
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
No because if they’re linear courses, it’s only your A2 that’s counted. Your teachers should’ve told you this at the start of your course?
Ollie7258
Rep:
?
(Original post by Laya_)
No because if they’re linear courses, it’s only your A2 that’s counted. Your teachers should’ve told you this at the start of your course?
No they didn't. So perhaps they are not linear then. What is a linear course?
ilovefruit
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
No they didn't. So perhaps they are not linear then. What is a linear course?
If they were not linear your results paper with your grades on would say AS and A2 grades and then your overall grade. However if they don't and it just says what you got at A2 they are most likely linear and therefore that's your final grade
thotproduct
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
AS and A Levels are seperate qualifications. The AS grade does not count towards your overall final grade for linear qualifications. You did a linear qualification so it is the grade you got at the end of Y13 that is your final grade. AS is a seperate thing entirely.
Ollie7258
Rep:
?
(Original post by ilovefruit)
If they were not linear your results paper with your grades on would say AS and A2 grades and then your overall grade. However if they don't and it just says what you got at A2 they are most likely linear and therefore that's your final grade
Then what is the point in doing a whole year of work if it doesn't count toward anything?
ilovefruit
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Then what is the point in doing a whole year of work if it doesn't count toward anything?
Probably as a way to prepare students for second year. Either way there must be a way to figure out whether your course is or not. If you know the code which should be on the results sheet you could probably Google and find out
Ollie7258
Rep:
?
(Original post by ilovefruit)
Probably as a way to prepare students for second year. Either way there must be a way to figure out whether your course is or not. If you know the code which should be on the results sheet you could probably Google and find out
Okay, thank you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (95)
27.07%
England (115)
32.76%
Belgium (28)
7.98%
Germany (40)
11.4%
Spain (8)
2.28%
Italy (33)
9.4%
Netherlands (11)
3.13%
Other (Tell us who) (21)
5.98%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise